I need clothes...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teacher2Be123, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Aug 28, 2009

I don't know if this is a good place..I think it works because I'm going for el ed. I'm 22 and I look VERY young for my age. When I put on nicer clothes (my teacher clothes as I call them) I feel like I'm a little girl playing dress up. What do I do? I would rather wear pull over tops then button ups, but I can wear button ups. Suggestions on wear to shop without "playing dress up" or how some of you avoid looking super young would be greatly appreciated!

3. bg1166

bg1166 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009

I have that same problem. I am 21 and all of the parents are like are you 18. I get some clothes at JC Pennys, and other department stores. I try on like a million things and buy one or two. I am in between the juniors and misses.

4. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 28, 2009

I'm 28, and I still feel like I'm playing dress up once in a while. I mostly wear dress pants with either a polo or a button down. Very occasionally a skirt. The dress code at my school is pretty relaxed more of a "business casual" for women at least...the guys have to wear ties every day (so glad I'm not a boy for once! LOL:lol::lol::lol:)

I usually try JC Pennys, Fashion Bug, and even check Wal-Mart...sometimes they get some pretty cute and dress stuff on sale there for dirt cheap.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2009

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 28, 2009

Enjoy the "challenge" while you have it! I was there once upon a time. I would always dress up a bit more, just to give myself that extra edge. High heels & hose always made me feel a bit more dressed up without feeling like I was playing dress up. Maybe it was the hose. (okay so this was 20+ years ago). Dress to the nines. I agree with the blazer idea.

7. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Aug 28, 2009

When I student taught kindergarten the kids would often ask, "Are you a teenager?" I may have looked like one to them, but I didn't act like it and taught with authority. I think it endeared me to them. My third graders now love it when I wear my Converse on Fridays. I guess I just don't worry about looking young - and parents are going to test you no matter what. Look nice and dress professionally when in situations where you interact with parents, and know your stuff so you're prepared.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2009

I agree with Alice on the blazers. Ann Taylor Loft has a lot of cute, stylish blazers in for Fall. They fall more towards the casual end of the spectrum than business suit, but definitely work/school appropriate.

If you project authority and confidence, most people will get past your age pretty quickly though.

9. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Aug 29, 2009

Thanks! Whenever I do wear heels to my placement it does help with the feeling older aspect..that's probably why I just bought 2 pairs of heels! I feel like there is always a huge range of what female teachers are wearing in my placements that I can never get a good grasp on the what to wear. Are knit/cotton tops acceptable?

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2009

What's acceptable varies widely.

I'm in a very conservative Catholic HS on Long Island. In my school, cotton T shirts are fine. I wear them frequently in the warm weather, with a flowy skirt, stockings (dress code mandates them) and dressy shoes. We're not allowed to go sleeveless though.

When in doubt, go a little more conservative. I just never think to hit Ann Taylor, but one of my friends loves it there and she always looks fabulous-- put together and professional.

Also, start looking at at least one good interview suit. There's always a lot of discussion on whether or not they're necessary, but in this part of the country most agree that they are. It's the end of summer, so you might find a decent sale on a light weight suit you can use when you're ready for those spring interviews.

11. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Aug 29, 2009

I actually made a comment to my mom yesterday while we were out shopping that I needed to start looking into suits and she looked at me like I had 4 heads.

12. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Aug 29, 2009

I have the exact same problem. I will be 24 in 3 months and some of the paras that I work with asked why they hired someone so young, and I look like I should be an eighth grader, not a teacher. :( That seems like a bit of a stretch but to each his own opinion I guess.

I buy clothes from most of the major department stores like JC Pennys, Macys, Express, and Kohls. For me, it seems like slacks and some heels (even if they aren't too tall) with a nice shirt (I don't like the button up ones either!) seem to command the most respect with the staff and students. When I wear skirts the staff seems to think I look younger so I stick to slacks whenever possible. Hope this helps!

13. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Aug 30, 2009

I love Van Housen. I have a lot of button down shirts (3/4 and long sleeve) in solid colors and vertical stripes. They also have sweaters that have that all in one collar attached so it looks like you're layering. They also have nice pants. I've never bought a skirt or dress there, but they have them.