I need advice!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by hootie821, Apr 4, 2008.

1. hootie821

hootie821 Rookie

Apr 4, 2008

Some of you may remember me...I am a registered nurse that wants a career change into teaching. I plan to apply to the alternative certification program this fall, however, in the mean time I have applied to my local school district to substitute teach to get some experience. The school district had a freeze on hiring until last week when I FINALLY processed! I am excited to try this new venture....but I need advice on how to get over being scared to walk into that class the very first time!! I know this is what I want to do and I'm sure that once I get started I'll be fine.....has anyone ever felt this same way when they first began subbing?? Kids are on spring break this week and no jobs have come up, but I need some advice so that I can feel more confident in myself, which I know is crucial!! :help:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2008

It's natural to feel nervous about stepping into the classroom. I know that I was nervous with every new school and grade level. You never know what you are going to get! I would look through the old posts on this forum. There has been a lot of advice on classroom management and tips to get through the day. Good luck! And welcome to the world of substitute teaching.

4. hootie821

hootie821 Rookie

Apr 4, 2008

I accepted my first job for this Wednesday! WooHoo!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2008

Good luck!!

6. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 4, 2008

Cool! Good Luck on Wednesday! What grade are you teaching? I could give you more specific advice if I new that...

I do want to say that first of all, you should definately relax. You've accepted a planned absence, and these (for me at least) go so very smoothly because the teacher is prepared for their absence and most of the time, the students are as well.

The beginning of the day will be nerve racking, but, when the kids get to the room, introduce yourself, and let them know your expectations of them right off the bat.

Tell them you expect:
    -them to be just as good as they would be for their regular teacher
    -Say, "Mrs. teacher left me a very detailed plan for the day, it may be a little different than your normal Wednesday, but we will be sure to complete everything Mrs. Teacher would like us to do today." (or something to that affect)
    -for them to stay in their seats unless given permission
    -no talking when you are talking
    -and when you ask for quiet you expect it to happen
    -if you have a question, raise your hand

I would also suggest that you get there at least 20 min before school starts to read over the plan of the day and get aquainted with the classroom.

If the teacher didn't leave a seating chart...MAKE ONE!!! Even if their names are on their desk, seating chart in hand is priceless!

Like I said before, I could be more specific if I knew what grade you were subbing for, but these little starters are pretty good for most grades.

Enjoy your day!

7. hootie821

hootie821 Rookie

Apr 5, 2008

Thank you for your replies...I really appreciate the ideas! I will be teaching 2nd grade and I took 3 assignments for the same teacher....one day each week for the next 3 weeks...I thought that would be a good way to start because I would get to know the children and they would get to know me as well. I'm hoping the teacher will have a plan for me each day, that is what I am counting on.

8. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 5, 2008

That's fantastic to have the same class for 3 weeks! What a wonderful way to start!!! 2nd grade is a great age. They may or may not start out with "calendar" some do in 2nd, but most don't. If they do, I'd call on a student to help run it, they will know how it goes.

I'd highly reccomend jotting down notes of things that you need to leave in the note for the end of the day. You may thing you'll remember, but you'll be surprised how much you'll forget by the end of the day!

Good luck! I can't wait to hear how your first day went!!!

9. hootie821

hootie821 Rookie

Apr 5, 2008

You all have been so helpful! I will be certain to use all the tips that you gave me! I'll post after and let you all know how it went! I did make some copies today of some fun worksheets to do in case we have extra time at the end of the day. I'm excited and ready to begin!

10. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 5, 2008

:thanks::D

and...if the "we don't do that nows" get on your nerves...I sometimes say, "students name, did Mrs. Teacher leave a note on your desk too?!?!:p" It's just a little reminder of the fact that their teacher planned the day, and you are following her plan. :cool:

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 5, 2008

One thing I would mention is to tell the students that you are NOT going to be doing things exactly the way that their teacher does it because you don't know all of the details, but you are going to do your best and that you do not need to be told "that's not how my teacher does it" all day. Also, establish a clear signal for getting their attention, you can clap a simple rhythm and have them clap back or even saying 1-2-3 all eyes on me. This works for getting their attention before moving on or for letting them know they are too loud, or clarifying something that you realize needs more explanation.

Additional notes:
    Ask another teacher where the teacher bathroom is and what to do when you need to go/when can you go
    Make sure you know where to pick the kids up if you take them to P.E., music, etc... A lot of schools rotate the kids, so you may pick them up somewhere different than where you left them.
    Program the school number into your cell phone so you can use it if there is an emergency.

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 6, 2008

You received great suggestions. I would like to add that you should not underestimate the time it will take for the kids to pack up and leave or get ready for lunch. If the teacher says to start packing up 10 minutes before the bell, I would do 15. As a new sub I always felt that I was running behind. I watch time much more closely now.

Best of luck. Make sure you let us know how it goes.

lemon

13. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 6, 2008

Lemon is right! Packing up seems to always take a bit longer!! In the beginning I remember plenty of times the bell would ring, and we weren't ready. Now I too pack up a little early :)

14. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Apr 7, 2008

OMG That is priceless. I love that response and will be using it in the near future!!

15. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Apr 7, 2008

I have a nice pre-typed sub report I leave for the teacher at the end of the day. It has gotten rave responses on how professional it looks.

It includes: My name, sub #, and how to contact me for future jobs, a list of absent students, notes on kids with behavior problems and who was a great help. I always let the teacher know what got finished, what I wasn't able to get to, and notes about certain students who possibly struggled with certain assignments. Finally, I am sure to thank them for the notes they left for me and "I look forward to subbing for you again."

16. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 7, 2008

Yes, I agree completely! The teachers are always happy to receive a detailed note of what went on during the day. I just thought everyone did, but some teachers have commented on my notes, and requested me because of the fact they know they'll get informed on how the day went! This is a great tip!