I need advice...

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by brit3703, Feb 22, 2007.

1. brit3703

brit3703 New Member

Feb 22, 2007

Hello everyone!

I wasn't sure where to post this so I just figured general would work. I need some advice from non-biased people. I am a college senior and I graduate June 10th with my Bachelor's degree in Middle Childhood Education and I'm not sure what to do after graduation. I am graduating from The Ohio State University and they set up their program in such a way that I cannot get my professional license in the state of Ohio without my Master's degree; however, I can teach in other states. I have thought about moving to Florida to teach with my Bachelor's because I used to live there and still have a great deal of family there. I feel somewhat burnt out from school and don't know that I want to get my Master's degree right away. So my options are to either to go straight into a Master's degree program in Ohio or move out of state to teach and get my Master's later. Some people tell me to just get it over with, but it's a big decision for me. I was hoping those of you who have already been teaching awhile could help shed some light on my situation.

Sorry the post is so long and I hope it makes sense! Thanks!

3. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Feb 22, 2007

Personally I would start to teach and after you are less burned out from being a student start working for your masters. I know I was particularly anxious to get into a classroom and teach! After all, that was the goal in the first place, wasn't it?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 23, 2007

Many school districts would much rather pay a new teacher without a Masters.

A Masters Degree moves you over on the pay scale and makes you more expensive to hire. Yet, as a new teacher, you still have no real classroom experience. (Student teaching doesn't count; all their job candidates have that.) So it's cheaper to hire a new teacher with a BA.

Just be careful about Florida; from I've heard, jobs can be hard to come by. Take a look at the "Where the JObs Are" thread. Here it is:http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=31080

5. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Feb 23, 2007

Hi,
    I'm from Ohio also (OU) and went right into teaching without a master's. I have heard about how Ohio State requires a master's, but I don't think that its completely necessary. I personally did not want to go back to school right away. However, if you want to get it over with and are able to, then maybe going back to school right away would be best. I did also hear that some schools would rather hire a bachelor's degree candidate than a master's because they have to pay them more, but I'm not sure of how true that is.

6. ThinkOutLoud

ThinkOutLoud Rookie

Feb 24, 2007

Hey there,
    I would seriously just start teaching with your Bachelors and hold off on the Masters until you're really hungry for it.
    I felt burnt out too and so just stuck to teaching for 4 years. Within this time I got a lot of confidence and an invaluable amount of skills that can't be gained through a degree at university.
    It's only now that I'm really starting to investigate going back to uni and adding to my degree.
    You've got to wait until you really want it - only then will you truly enjoy studying again and get some great results from your course.
    That's just in my opinion anyway ;)Hope it helps.

7. gka05001

gka05001 New Member

Feb 26, 2007

I'm only a student as well (University of Central Arkansas), but my teachers have always advised me to start teaching before graduate work. Schools are more prone to hire "out of college" teachers with a Bachelors degree instead of a Masters because it is less they would have to pay for the same amount of experience. Often times schools will pay for graduate school after you've established your self as reliable. I am still a student so I have no real world knowledge. But this is what my professors have always told me.