i need advice!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ccssarah, Apr 29, 2010.

1. ccssarah

ccssarah New Member

Apr 29, 2010

Hi Everyone!
    I am in desperate need of some advice. I have students that can simply not stop writing on their desks. I have previously made them write sentences (as it was a school rule), but I am not fond of this idea because I want my students to enjoy writing and not dislike it. I also can not make them clean desks, because for some reason, my students absolutely love cleaning. So this isn't enjoyable for them. I need some ideas!! Can anyone help me out??

3. aramirez

aramirez Rookie

Apr 29, 2010

1. If you have small white boards you can set aside some time where they can write/draw on the white boards. Students can earn this time or you can build it into your schedule. (If you don't have white boards you can create cheap ones by having students write on plastic paper protectors).

2. You can buy a class sketch book that can be used as an incentive. Students can earn time drawing/sketching in the book.

3. Even though your students like cleaning I still would make the responsible for cleaning their desks.

4. KateL

KateL Habitué

Apr 29, 2010

Take away the desk for awhile (an hour? the rest of the day?) and have the students sit in chairs and write on their laps. That gets pretty uncomfortable, so maybe they will stop writing on the desks.

5. cheerfulfifi

cheerfulfifi Rookie

Apr 29, 2010

I once took drastic measures (which is SO unlike me) but I had one student clean everyone's desk instead of just his own. While the other kids thought that sounded like fun and enjoyed the idea of a clean desk, he was not so happy. I only made him do it though because of an attitude that came with the drawing...

good luck!

6. Grapeless

Grapeless Rookie

Apr 29, 2010

Are they perhaps writing on the desks because of the attention you give them for doing so?
    My last name is at the end of the alphabet so my teachers always sat me in the very back of the room. The only way I could ever get the teacher to acknowledge my existence in the classroom was acting out. So I acted out - it was my only chance at being able to participate in anything.
    What works best with some students is to ignore them when you see them drawing and instead compliment a student near them for behaving as they should

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Apr 29, 2010

I always make mine clean all the desks if they write on their desk. They know that is the punishment if they do it. I have told one student that they would have to clean all the desks in the whole third grade if I caught them again (they had done it a few times.) It's a punishment for mine because I make them do it during recess.

8. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 29, 2010

Perhaps providing an acceptable outlet for their creative urges would help. Naaahh.....

9. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 30, 2010

where does it say she doesn't already do that? For all that is written, these kids could easily have a stack of drawing paper on their desks at all times and just be choosing not to use it

10. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Apr 30, 2010

How about cleaning the desks during RECESS or free choice time? Might not be so fun...

11. tgim

tgim Habitué

Apr 30, 2010

Yes, my desk writers clean all of our desks during recess. If they repeat the offense, they do the entire grade level. I have never had to go that far, though!

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 30, 2010

You can get that clear book cover stuff that is repositionable and removable. It will stick to the desk top - but doesn't leave any residue. Then the kids can use pencil on it.

13. hac711

hac711 Companion

May 5, 2010

Blotter paper taped to their desk? I tape desk size blotter paper to their desks and spend 15 minutes letting them decorate. I explain that if words or math problems appear on their paper they lose the priv. 2 or 3 times a year we change it...