I need advice planning a literacy demo lesson for Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by gillianvt, Oct 15, 2010.

1. gillianvt

gillianvt Rookie

Oct 15, 2010

:help: I have a second interview for a K maternity leave replacement position and they want me to do a 20 min. literacy demo lesson. The theme has to be fall so I was thinking I would do pumpkins as Halloween is just around the corner. 20 min is not a lot of time. I am planning on reading a pumpkin book to start the lesson. Then I found an idea for creating words using the UMP in pumpkin and adding different letters to the beginning to make the words. This could be an interactive activity as I would have the kids come up and choose a letter that they think makes a new word and then tell us what word they have made. I just don't if doing something like this would be too hard for the students this time of year or if they should already know enough to be able to do it. Any other ideas for activities would be great. 20 minutes is not enough time to do much and I want to make sure that it is really a literacy activity not an art activity. Your help is greatly appreciated.:)

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 15, 2010

I think this type of activity would be way too difficult for kinders in October. Many of them don't even recognize letters, let alone know enough sounds to blend them together. Maybe you could have other fall words and they could clap the number of syllables. Or they could choose pictures of objects that begin with P.

4. MNTeacher

MNTeacher Rookie

Oct 15, 2010

You could teach them a fun poem. Have the poem written out on sentence strips. You read it first then the students echo read it with you. You could have them identify uppercase and lowercase letters, ask them to find a letter that makes a certain sound (if you have a pointer-they LOVE pointers!!). Call up kids one at a time. Then you could do an art activity to go with it. Or have them go back to their seats and illustrate the poem. If there is extra time-they can "read" the poem to themselves or highlight a certain letter.

5. gillianvt

gillianvt Rookie

Oct 15, 2010

Is an art activity considered part of literacy? That is what I would do in pre-K but not sure it's appropriate for a demo lesson in k. What about having the kids just coming up with other words that start with the letter p and making a big list? I guess I really need to think more about this.

6. Pumpkin83

Pumpkin83 Rookie

Oct 15, 2010

I would say normally art is not a part of literacy time or instruction. Literacy IS usually apart of art though.

I am guessing they want to see you teach literacy (since it is SOOOO important in kinder) and not do an art project. While art is fun and you will incorporate it into lessons at times, I personally wouldn't have my demo lesson for literacy be an art project.

The above poster had a great idea with using a fall poem.

Think simple, it doesn't need to be elaborate it just needs to be engaging and meaningful.