I need advice for my dad-please read

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Lindsnh, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jul 9, 2010

Guys I need your help advice on this. My dad is 55 years old and has worked for the same company for 28 years. In the past 10 years or so he has developed some medical problems arthritis, among other things due to standing on concrete floors and working with heavy equipment. (he works in a steel mill). Before that he never took any time off and always pulled his weight + more at work . He was a supervisor but he was out of work about a year ago with a broken foot and when he came back they told him "you can keep this position, but it we will make it a living hell for you" he decided to take a major demotion in pay and do another position b/c he needs an income. Well he is out again b/c of knee surgery, he will need knee replacements in the next 2 years or so...well his job called to "check on him" and told him "by the way when you come back you job has been moved to 3rd shift " whihc means even less pay and crazy hours. This of course made my dad very upset...he has never worked 3rd shift. He wants to tell his boss to go to he** but he needs to job and won’t be able to retire for 5 more years. I see my dad becoming very depressed...my mom and I are both concerned. All he does is take his pain pills for his knee, sleep and eat. He is not the type of really speak up for himself. He job does not care about him at all and seems to want to push him out the door. They have been very disrespectful to him b/c of his medical problems. Do you all think he needs to contact the Better Business Bureau or labor board? He is not the type to stir the pot but I know he can't take the mental abuse much longer from his bosses. I do not want him to go off the edge.. He is thankful for having a job since so many do not right now...but is it worth it to come home everyday dreading the next?

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2010

That's really horrible. Is he in a union?

4. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jul 9, 2010

no :(

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2010

They are obviously trying to push him out the door. I wonder what a lawyer would say? Is it something to do with a pension?

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 9, 2010

Since he has medical issues, see if he qualifies for medical disability.

My dad worked for the same company for 32 years. He had some medical issues here and there, and the company was always good to give him jobs that he could do with his disabilities. The company had their own retirement plan, but the company was in financial trouble and couldn't pay him to retire with 27 years. He wasn't old enough for social security (thank goodness he'd always paid it in even though the company had a retirement plan) since he was 58.

He looked into disability. His hearing loss, arthritis, and a back problem EACH would have qualified him for full disability retirement benefits. So, he retired at 58 on full disability. It was a great choice for him.

Would that be a possibility for your dad?

7. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

That's great advice, Ima. A similar situation happened to my grandfather.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 9, 2010

Yes, I think you should contact BOLI. It sounds like an age discrimination thing, or a disability thing. Your dad is in a bad place both emotionaly and physically. I hope he has looked into family/medical leave. He does have some rights.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 9, 2010

He might qualify for SSDI

The demotion due to illness sounds like a violation of the Family Medical Leave Act (assuming the company has more than 50 employees)

10. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jul 9, 2010

Thanks guys for your thoughts and advice. I hope something good will come of this mess!

11. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

Hugs! I am so sorry this is happening! In a way I can relate and it is just terrible to be going through. I do not have any advice, but just try to be as supportive and happy as you can around him, give him a reason to be happy! He has a wonderful daughter after-all! Maybe there is something fun you could do together that he loves- fishing or something to take his mind off of it. Best wishes!

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2010

That is exactly what I did 34.5 years as a shop teacher, arthritis, back problem, hearing, and my knee I fell in April of 2008 and tore all the tendons (since teaching requires to do a lot of standing and movement around the room)
    I had over 80 points on the state retirement system and add the SSD (full disability) and I make about 108%* of my average yearly income over the last 10 years.
    I used Binder and Binder and only had to wait the mandatory 5 months and then I got my SSD, it cost me $1,000 but it was well worth it I hear that some people have waited over 2 years (But they got the back pay from the time they filed). I am 58 and have been fully retired since Jun 2008 (I was double dipping from Jan 2007)
    YES It does sound like an age discrimination thing, or a disability thing.
    * (This is the first time I did my average income and found out I was getting 108%) :D

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 9, 2010

I would definitly seek the services of a lawyer. The demotion as a result of an injury sounds illegal.

Any of the forum laywers have anything to say?