I need advice - favorite teaching materials/manipulatives?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by WarmWillow, Jul 7, 2013.

1. WarmWillow

WarmWillow Rookie

Jul 7, 2013

I am teaching kindergarten next year, and I'm inheriting a lot of great manipulatives and materials for student use from the previous teacher. I also get a small stipend and want to get the most bang for my buck. I already have a lot of the more common manipulatives (linking cubes, pattern blocks, ect...) I was wondering is there anything that you use A LOT that the kids LOVE, that might not be as common? Anything to reinforce key math and language arts skills... or even to generate creative thinking? I was thinking puppets to make storytelling more engaging, but I just wasn't sure how much I would use them. I'm also open to making things. Your advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!

3. AZmamaC

AZmamaC New Member

Jul 7, 2013

I think puppets would be a great idea. I used them when teaching preschool, and can recall my second grade teacher using them while she read stories and we loved it!

As far as manipulatives....geoboards, dice, dominos, spinners, magnets, buttons, links, counting bears, word tiles..those are all pretty common though, sorry I'm not much help!

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 7, 2013

My kids love regular blocks and I've found some really cute sets-one is pandas with bamboo, one is the natural wood--definitely could help build creativity! ;) I'm a big believer in puzzles too. They love those big floor puzzles.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 7, 2013

Buy some metal cookie sheets, and some thick magnetic tape. You can make all kinds of magnets with it, and the pieces don't fall off. Great for sorting -- big A and little a -- that type of thing.

6. WarmWillow

WarmWillow Rookie

Jul 7, 2013

Wow! What an awesome idea ... I never would have thought of that on my own. So many possibilities with magnetic boards. I also have some metal cookie sheets hanging out in my cupboard unused. Thank you so much RainStorm!

7. WarmWillow

WarmWillow Rookie

Jul 7, 2013

I could even use puppets during morning meeting to make it a bit more fun since the kids are sitting for awhile. I have a few finger puppets, but they may be too small. Perhaps a couple of fun larger puppets that could serve as our "class mascots" during morning meeting throughout the year. The kids could even use them too. Any suggestions on what type they would like?

8. WarmWillow

WarmWillow Rookie

Jul 7, 2013

Hi KinderCowgirl! I have a large "planet" puzzle. Do you have the kids put the puzzles together on their own or as a class... as a center? What other puzzles do you use?

9. skerns

skerns Companion

Jul 7, 2013

Favorites

My kiddos love the small lego center, the pinching/sorting manipulatives and the hammer and pegs one. As far as other teacher aids, I do use my puppets (we only have two) by I never let the students use them. They are the high end type, a dog and a bear. It ruins the "awe" of they play with them. I love our math games and my favorite are the number bingo, Hi Hi Cherrio, and Chutes and Ladders. Puzzle are also a huge thing in my class. I have a variety from hard to easy ones for puzzle time. I really love science and spent a full year putting together 9 different science centers. I do no think I cold go without them now.

10. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Jul 7, 2013

My preschoolers stayed engaged with marble tracks it created many opportunities to discuss higher order thinking.

They also loved to use eyedroppers and lots of clear containers to measure and mix primary colored water with food coloring. They loved the play, I loved that it helped their fine motor muscles develop.