I need advice about a major project due for my students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by workingwithkids, Sep 12, 2016.

1. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Sep 12, 2016

This past summer my school (first year there) decided to do a summer reading project for middle school students. Students had to select a book from a list of 10, read the book, and then do a project over it. My sixth graders were told about it in 5th grade and sent info several times over the summer. The past three weeks, the projects have been mentioned on an almost daily basis. The projects are due this Friday and several of them told me today they haven't even started reading the books. Several of the students that told me they haven't started reading are special education inclusion. It will be very difficult for them to read one of the selected books and do a project in 4 days. What would you do if you found your students in this situation? Part of me is thinking it would be a good lesson for them to learn (they have had 5 months to do this project) the consequences for not completely their work while the other part is scrabbling to figure something out.

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2016

How is it (or is it) being assessed / used at school (i.e. grade wise)? In my mind, it'd depend on that, as well as how new / well put-together this was (i.e. spur of the moment decision, or well thought-out, planned, well-discussed, etc... during the spring).

4. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Sep 13, 2016

Thanks for your reply. It will be a daily grade but we only have 18 total grades for each grading period so 1 zero can really hurt them. The middle school started discussing this with the students about February of last year and parents were sent communication every month regarding the project. Students were also told that if they couldn't get one of the books to let the school know (we have about half title 1 students). I just started this position in August so I'm not 100% sure on how much communication actually went out, but I have talked to the librarian, all the teachers on my team, and the counselor and they have all told me that the students and parents all knew about the project.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 13, 2016

Do you know for certain the parents knew about this project? I would think there would have been an information sheet sent out when it was assigned where the parents had to acknowledge that they understood what had to be done and when it was due. If so, they should absolutely get zeros if not completed. The parents should know about it they were contacted about it over the summer.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 13, 2016

Are there any modifications you could make to enable these students to complete something in that time? Are at least some of the books on their reading levels? Could you, perhaps, have them choose from among several short stories?

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 13, 2016

The first thing I would do before making modifications and making extra work for yourself is to contact the parents about it and make sure they are on board with it. It would be a waste of time for you if they end up not doing it anyway.

8. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Sep 13, 2016

If they knew about it for 5 months I would not make any additional modifications. When this project was setup, it should have been differentiated for sped kids. I'm assuming it was considering they had a choice of different books. They choose not to do it over the summer. They are choosing to get a zero if it's not done. They are in 6th grade hold them accountable.

nstructor likes this.
  9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2016

I would actually seek guidance from admin on this one, since they will likely need to back you up in the event that you are met with complaints from angry parents.

mathmagic likes this.
  10. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2016

Plus, it sounds like a building-wide decision that should be consistent across all teachers (if more than one).

Bunnie and Caesar753 like this.
  11. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Sep 14, 2016

I spoke with the SPED alt and the Reading alt (academic lead teachers for their departments) and their basic reponse was to let them take a zero if they do not turn in the project on Friday. I spoke with an administrator and he recommended emailing the parents and giving them the option to either have their student read the physical book or listen to it on audio. He also said that if projects were not turned in on Friday that if students turned them in later, there would be a 10 pt deduction for each day. I sat down and emailed every parent of the students that told me they hadn't started with the two options and have not heard back from any of them.