I need Activities for teaching SIGHT WORDS

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Bolivar09, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Bolivar09

Bolivar09 Rookie

Sep 30, 2009

I was wondering if anyone could share ideas on how you teach sight words. I'm a new teacher and i need help.... Thanks

3. sunnydaze

sunnydaze Rookie

Sep 30, 2009

I make sight word cards and laminate them. I then put them on a keyring so they don't get lost (I only give out a few at a time and when those are mastered add to the ring). I play different games with the children one on one and in small groups. One on one we try to beat the clock or an old time, I give tiny stickers to place on each card so we can track what we know and need to work on. In small groups I play race against each other to see who can get the word first, or I have the students quiz each other on the words. Hope these are some ideas that help!

4. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Sep 30, 2009

Search the forums for sightwords as there have been previous posts on this subject. I tend to do this a lot now - someone, some where will already have had the problem I'm dealing with!

5. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Sep 30, 2009

I recently stumbled across Heidi's songs ... and I love them! I always think a catchy tune helps to learn things. Heidissongs.com!

6. Kteacher07

Kteacher07 Rookie

Sep 30, 2009

I do word rings and sight word songs to remember how to spell the words. I also do mix it fix its where I give them the letters all mixed up and the put it back together. We also use highlighters to hunt for sight words in text, the kids like finding them in our thematic poems and songs.

7. Rainbows23

Rainbows23 Rookie

Sep 30, 2009

play sparkle. you get in a circle with an object eg a teddy to pass around. You say a work eg like. the kids must spell around the circle and when the word is over everyone says 'sparkle!' and the child sparkle lands on sits down.

8. fun2tchk

fun2tchk Rookie

Oct 1, 2009

Heidi songs are AWESOME! I too totally recommend them! They are quick and catchy and really work.
    I also use a lot of the printable books from mother hubbard's cupboard. I have the kids use highlighters for the targeted sight word. They love to use the highlighers. I also use some of the books from Kimberly Jordano where they have to write the sight word. She also has a great website with some great projects that incorporate the sight words.
    kinderkim.com
    I have had the kids make crowns, stickers and necklaces too with sight words to make it more fun. I do use some worksheets for extra practice, but I always try to match it up with something hands on.
    I also recommend rainbow words. It's a great motivation to learn the sight words. You divide your words into the different arches of the rainbows and they earn raindrops or a color on their rainbow when they have mastered those words. I bought it through rainbowwords.com, but you could make your own.

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2009

I do a lot of work with sight words in centers- the kids make the words with magnets, practice them on white boards, stamp the sight words in a sentence, etc.
    Also, when we are waiting in line to use the bathroom, I have the kids practice reading the words- I have the markers that have a shape at one end, and I stamp the kids hand when they can read a word (later 2 words, 5 words, etc)- they love this and work to get as many hand stamps as possible, so it motivates them all to learn the words and to pay attention while the others are reading them so they can remember them too!!

10. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2009

I laminate the ones we are working on and put them by the door. They "slap" them as they walk out the door and say the word. They love that! Another idea I saw here once was to post them on the wall, turn out the lights and shine a flashlight on each word as the children shout it out! fun. Or pass out sets of words and the students have to walk around the room and find the person with the same word. Of course they need to say the word when they find their match.

11. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Oct 4, 2009

I ditto what the others have said about HeidiSongs , they are fantastic! Heidisongs work because they use a multi-sensory approach, they target 3 different ways of learning: auditory, visual, and kinesthetic. The children see the word (visual), sing/hear the song (auditory), and do the movements/dance (kinesthetic). Research has proven that when you teach to all the learning styles students will learn more and that's certainly been my experience with HeidiSongs. I have all of her sing & spell products and couldn't live without them. I also have a page on my website dedicated to teaching sight words, you might find some helpful info there too.

I think another important aspect of teaching sight words is having daily word work time. During this time students can use their rainbow word rings and magnetic letters or other hands on activities to work with and make words.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 4, 2009

I would also recommend The Best Sight Word Book Ever. They have little books that the kids make for each sight word. For each book they rainbow write, cut the letters of the word out and put them back in order, trace and re-write the word, and then there are 3 more pages of games that help with recognition/spelling of the word. It definitely has every word you need, too.

My kids love doing the books! There are also a variety of other activities that you can do with the class, as well.

I also have a "Password of the day" outside my door. Each day I put out a different sight word that the kids have to say when they come in the room. They only say it right in the morning when they first enter the room. (You can also make the password letters, letter sounds, etc.)

13. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 4, 2009

That book sounds great! Is this it?
    http://www.amazon.com/BEST-SIGHT-WORD-BOOK-EVER/dp/B0015JZQWM

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 5, 2009

15. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Oct 5, 2009

that book looks good I may order it!

16. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

Oct 6, 2009

Honestly, I find the best way is to have the students read and use them constantly.
    Pattern sentences and books with the target words work very well.

Have them read them in text OFTEN,not just flashing the words. The words need to mean something more to them than just seeing it isolated. They need to be able to actually USE the word in every day speech and realize that they are using it.
    Maybe try a game in which every time someone says a target word you all point it out and write it on the board...

17. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2009

I agree! Find books and poems that have the word of the day or week repeated often. Have students writing include the sight words you are using. Keep checking back here for great ideas. (check the archives!) :)

18. Lumi

Lumi Companion

Oct 8, 2009

I am a transitional kindergarten teacher at a private preschool and because I don't work for a public school district, I can pretty much set my own curriculum to what I feel like my students need the most. A great deal of what I teach is centered around sight words to give them a leg up with literacy when they get to kindergarten next year, so I have a lot of fun activities that we do throughout the year.

We call our sight words "Star words". I have made large starwords with a big blue and yellow star (from Carson Dellosa) to the left of the die cut letters which are glued to white construction paper and laminated. I display them on a pocket chart on my wall. I work with the high frequency books from the website AtoZReading.com and I introduce the words in order of the books (because they are progressive and they build upon previous words learned). When we read one of these books I give them a highlighter and we highlight each word as we read it on the page. We do other things like stamp, trace and write the words, practice rainbow writing of the words with a rainbow (multicolored) pencil and use star stickers to cover a large outline of the word and then write the word. We also use shaving cream to practice writing them on the tables as a fun multisensory approach.

The real fun begins however, when after a couple of weeks of practicing the words they start noticing them in print and they start hearing them in songs we sing. They get so excited and so do I! This happened just this week in my class, one little girl started talking about how she found one in a book she was looking at during our independent reading time and the rest of the kids caught on like wildfire. I made it more fun by giving them small magnifying lenses to search for them. Once they started coming up to me to show me the words, I wrote all our star words on the board and started making a tally of each word that was found. At the end of our reading time we counted up each word that was found and talked about which word was found the most (the) and which word was found the least (blue). This incorporates math skills into the process too! The next day I let the kids run their own tally on the board. They didn't necessarily do it right, but it was all about the process of getting excited about recognizing and recording the words they knew. Next step, I plan to make a similar tally sheet of the words we know on paper so that they can make their own tally pages while they read. I have miniture clipboards for them to use. I will also encourage them to write the words down as they find them. The kids love doing this.

Some other ideas you can do;
    --create a Find It jar by putting the sightwords inside a discovery bottle filled with some sort of filler like birdseed or rice. Give the kids a sheet with the sight words on it that you have learned already and they cross out the words as they find them. To make this activity more fun, provide a magnifying lense for them to use as they search.
    --Make a word rolling game by putting six sight words on a six sided dice (use a large foam or wood block) provide a gameboard that has the matching words on it and provide markers. One kid rolls the dice and reads the word and uses the marker to cover the word if he has it. This is like a bingo game but you would have only 6 words and you would put them on the playing mat in several different places. By the end of 20 rolls someone would win if all the words have been covered by the markers.
    --give magnetic letters so the kids can practice moving them around on the whiteboard to make the star words. Once they have made one, give them a dry erase marker and have them write it on the board above or below the magnetic letters.
    --Practice looking for sight words in the class books you read together. Give the kids a special pointer to come up and find one star word on the page you just read (I wait until I finish reading the book before we do this to avoid distractions).
    --Use highlighting tape or highlighting plastic to highlight sight words in the pocket chart poems or morning messages you read together as a class.

I'm sure as I think about it I will come up with more activities.

19. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Oct 9, 2009

I LOVE YOUR SITE! I've purchased several of your centers! They are great!

20. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2009

I like sight word bingo and have also made a game with sight words that works like the 3 strikes game on The Price is Right.

21. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Oct 9, 2009

Okay, so I love some of the ideas mentioned above. Here are two things that I do to teach sight words/play games with sight words:

Stinky Cheese - This is an idea from Dr. Jean. Cut pieces of orangy-yellow construction paper (yes, this is a color in my book - lol) into cheese looking pieces. Then write the sight words on the cheese pieces. In addition, write the words "Stinky Cheese" on a couple of slices. Mix the cards up. Show the students each word on the cheese piece (like using regular flash cards). Then, whenever a stinky cheese card is shown, have all of the students stand up, hold their nose, and say "Stinky Cheese" in a nasal voice. The kids love it.

Swat - Write several sight words or alphabet letters on the board (or you could write them on a shower curtain to use over and over). Give two students flyswatters. Call out a word and the first student to "swat" the word wins.

22. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Oct 9, 2009

Also, Mrs. Chapple's website has great activities to do with sight words. She has posted worksheets to go with each sight word. I use these in a center in the classroom.

http://www.misschapple.com/

23. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Oct 9, 2009

Oooo, one more thing (sorry, I'm having a major brainstorm today)! Sometimes I put the sight words on a wall. Then I will turn the lights off in the room (we have a window, so it is not completely dark), and I call out a word. The students take their flashlight and shine on the word. They are "Shining the Light" on reading!