I need a weakness...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by AnonyMS, Mar 27, 2009.

1. AnonyMS

AnonyMS 7th grade ELA SDI in Texas

Mar 27, 2009

I can't think... I'm 14 hours away from screening job fair.

I saw a posted weakness about time management on this board and thought I could fine-tune that to match me, but then I read the exact same weakness in a book I'm reading so now I think it's too canned and need something different.

I don't really want to tell my weaknesses! Ha ha ha...

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2009

What are your real weaknesses? Let's see if we can turn a negative into a positive, while still staying true to reality.

4. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Mar 27, 2009

How do you turn being a Perfectionist into a weakness for an elementary teacher.....I really am one but I dont want them to look at me and say then why did you go into teaching young children!?!?!:lol:

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2009

You can say you demand perfection of yourself, even when it's not necessary or reasonable.

For example a perfectionist would demand symmetry in a bulletin board display of autumn leaves (think Monk) but it's actually prettier to scatter them randomly.

How does that sound?

6. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Mar 27, 2009

I really think too many people use the "perfectionist" angle. I was saying it back in high school when I was applying to work at the movie theatre snack bar.

Time management is a weakness for many teachers, myself included! At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you say is a weakness as long as you also say what you're trying to do to overcome your weakness. That's really what the interviewer is looking for.

7. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Mar 27, 2009

HAHAH :lol:

That is so true.....when I do a bulletin board I drive myself crazy until it is symmetric.....even if it is something that can be scattered randomly.....

Thanks for making me laugh....I am stressed tonight.....

I will stress demanding perfection of myself (not the students....I want them to be the best they can be but not perfect all the time!)

8. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Mar 27, 2009

I remember being told once to turn a positive into a weakness. The one that I used was that I am too organized. Principals loved this weakness. And it's true-I am too organized! Everything has to be in its place-either in my home or in my classroom :D

9. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Mar 27, 2009

But don't forget to say how you're trying to improve! You don't want them to think they're hiring someone who will drive herself to burnout in 3 years!

I'm sorry you're stressed. Take a nice hot bubble bath with a glass of wine. That always helps me. ;)

10. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Mar 27, 2009

Yes, I will have to remember to add how I am working on that weakness....

A bubble bath sounds wonderful.....maybe I'll take my interview questions with me to read.....ugh! Job fair tomorrow!

11. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Mar 27, 2009

My weakness is lack of experience. It is true, I'm a new teacher, new in my field. Do you think you can use that too (if that applies to you)?

12. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2009

My weakness if definitely time management, but I'm uber organized so that helps my weakness.

13. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Mar 27, 2009

Could you really use this as a weakness?

14. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2009

I wouldn't hightlight my lack of experience since that's already "hurting" me. You can show your lack of experience in a positive light though in saying that since you're a new teacher, you know you'll need to work on time management, classroom management, and all the other things new teachers typically need work on.

15. AnonyMS

Mar 27, 2009

My True Weakness

One of my true weaknesses is that I take a lot of stuff personally... and can get defensive.

That would not be in relation to children, however. But it could be in relation to parents, other teachers, etc. BUT I DO NOT want to say that!!!

The one thing that can counter this weakness, though, is that given time (like even a few minutes but it could be an hour or a day), I can usually step back from that defense and see the other side or the other perspective... and work it out.

I don't like this reveal b/c it would seem like I'm not a team player (which I am).

Thoughts?

16. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 27, 2009

You could say something about needing think-time. When you get new information, especially if you need to do something about it immediately, you prefer to spend a few minutes thinking before responding. This can sometimes look like hesitation, but it is just processing time. Then add that since you need think-time, you always remember to give it to students!

17. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Mar 27, 2009

I've used one of my strengths as my weakness as well and give a general description/ example of how/why.

For example, if I say ... My strength is that I strive for excellence in all of the aspect of my job. I desire to do well and to acclimate to my environment as quickly as possible.

"What would you say is your weakness?"

...Well, to be completely honest, I would consider my strive for excellence as a weakness as well because I put additional pressure and stress on myself and can feel like I have a lot on my plate. I've learned to overcome this by addressing each aspect one at a time and accepting that some things can not be rushed...especially when it comes to mastering this diverse and dynamic profession. :blush:

18. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Mar 27, 2009

When I was in college, a professor once told my class that to turn perfectionism into a weakness, one could say that he/she does not want to pass that trait on to students. Instead, a teacher wants students to know that their best effort is what is required.

19. AnonyMS

Mar 27, 2009

Yeah, my other idea was to take one of my strengths and say that it was also a weakness of mine.

20. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 27, 2009

I will say, "If you asked me that question up to a year and a half ago, I would have said math. But in my methods classes I was awakened to.... and now I see math as.... and thus, I bring math alive for my children by ..... Especially for those who are struggling and feel that the "math train" has left the station without-as I once had."

The answer sounds so good that not once have they said... but what is your weakness NOW? If they did, I have time managment-trying to cram in too many ideas into too little of a space- left to answer the question (if repeated).

21. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Mar 28, 2009

My weakness is that I am not a loud person. I am soft spoken. While student teaching I taught the kids the rhythm clap and did other things to gain there attention. When I have my own class the students will be used to me being soft spoken. This is how it was in my final internship too, they were use to it and listened to me. :)

22. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Mar 28, 2009

A professor of mine always said a weakness is a strength over done. So whatever I plan to use as my weakness (prolly time management) I'm going to say that first haha :)

23. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2009

That's a good way to put it - "a strength over done."

24. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Mar 28, 2009

When I think about it, I think my weakness is wanting to keep my classroom in it's own little world. I enjoy closing the door and getting down to the nitty-gritty with the students and can get frustrated with scheduling changes or frequent interruptions. I can work with it and was commended on my ability to think on my feet during student teaching, but it's still something I struggle with.

How could I make this sound good to prospective employers?

25. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 28, 2009

I like what TeacherShelly said but I know it is too late so....

I reallllly want to know how that screening thingamajig went! I'm also curious ast to where it was. I'm in your neck of the woods too.

26. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 28, 2009

I would just go on by saying some people see it as a weakness because I appear to be in my own little world; therefore, I constantly need to_____________________ then go into how you put yourself out there.