I need a vacuum recommendation!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, May 16, 2012.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 16, 2012

*We have a bagless Hoover Windtunnel. It does a nice job picking up dirt but for awhile it's been making a weird noise and it's pretty heavy so I do about half of our condo at a time take a break then finish the rest!

I'd like to find one even on Amazon to buy since I like reading some reviews. I know we've had threads about vacuums before but thought I'd start a new one...

*I'm looking for a good vacuum for mainly carpets
    *Pros and cons of bags vs bagless? (I can think of dirt as you empty the canister vs paying for bags...anything else?)
    *Less than $150 would be great since they all seem to be good for a few years or so so we don't want to spend a lot (Aka Dysons!). :)

3. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 16, 2012

Once I read your bullet points my advice went out the window. I have a Dyson and I love it, but I was able to use a large BedBath&Beyond gift card, so we didn't need to spend $$!

I always liked Oreck vaccums. My parents have one and it worked well, and was very light and easy to handle. It's not bagless though.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 16, 2012

Ha, sorry, I am also a Dyson lover. I thought it was idiotic to spend that much on a vacuum until we borrowed one from someone else because BF really wanted us to get one. It really is superior. It just works better and is set up in a way that makes more sense than any other vacuum I have used. We got ours for much cheaper by finding it on Woot.com - it was refurbished but we have had no problems.

5. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

May 16, 2012

Sorry - I am now in the Dyson boat as well. My husband found a factory refurbished model for about half the original cost, and I love it!!! I was also going to suggest Woot.com; apparently silverspoon and I think alike. I would strongly recommend saving up to buy one, because it is so worth it, so far, in our house.

6. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 16, 2012

I have never liked to vacuum. With my Dyson, I now look forward to it! My husband just said today how great it is. It really is worth the money. I never thought I would say that about a vacuum.

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 16, 2012

okay I will see if I can find an awesome deal somewhere...We went to a vacuum store a yr ago and the repair guy didnt think much abt the dysons himself. ..Thanks for feedback.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 17, 2012

For what it's worth, we have a Dyson and won't buy another. It simply doesn't live up to its hype.

9. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 17, 2012

My wife is an expert on vacuums. She has had probably 5 in the 10 years we have been together. She studies them like Disney studied animal characters. We currently have the Hoover Wind Tunnel T series. Btw she vacuums everyday and sometimes more.

10. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 17, 2012

We have a Miele: it's been working great for years. (Expensive, though) We have many dogs and cats, and trek in and out a lot (a few farm animals and gardening), so it has gotten quite a workout. They're German. (uhh, not the animals, the vacuum)

We also had a spaceage Dyson (also expensive) which, as they say, sh-t the bed in dismayingly short order.

11. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

May 17, 2012

Another Dyson here. They do have a 5-year warranty and their customer service is great. We've had a couple small issues and they've been able to help us over the phone so I haven't had to drag the vacuum in to get it repaired.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 17, 2012

Get bare floors? It's amazing how removing carpet tends to remove allergens.

13. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

May 17, 2012

We also love our Dyson animal version. We have had a few issues with the cord (but I believe that is due to user) and found a great little vacuum shop that repairs it for a minimal amount.