i need a tried and true discipline system for 3rd graders.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Pencil Monkey, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 5, 2007

Obviously what I did with 8th graders is not going to suit 3rd years. I've been researching different systems/plans. So far I like the idea of doing a fun Friday free time as an overall reward. But I want a way of rewarding/punishing on an individual basis that is fair and consequences are immediate.

In your experiences, What works better?

a) a system of color coded cards that kids flip?
    b) point system where kids loose points based on misbehaviors with a requirement set to attend fun Friday. What I don't like is that the consequences are not immediate. I believe with kids this young, they would need an immediate consequence.
    c) other?
    :confused:

3. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Jun 5, 2007

I use a stop light, the kids move their name from green, to yellow to red, everytime they misbehave. That way they are physically responsibe for the act of moving their name. Green stands for doing what they are supposed to be doing, yellow is for a warning, and red is for repeated misbehavior. If they get on red, they stay in at recess or lunch and fill out a disicpline sheet. I rarely have students reach red, but when they do, they know they are in TROUBLE :eek: I made the stop light out of construction paper cut into circles with magnets on the back. The student names are on magnet strips as well. Hope this helps

4. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jun 5, 2007

Individual:
    What if they all start with 5 points/stars each and then they can lose on for each incidence of bad behaviour OR for homework not finished and handed in on time or receive for oing over their expectations. Each student needs to have his/her 5points at the end of the week to participate in Fun Friday. Also a future reward can be told to the students, lik in four weeks, we are going to watch a movie. You may only watch it if you have a minimum of 19 stars alltogether in those four weeks. Otherwise, he/se may go to another classroom to sit quietly and work there while the others watch the movie.

Group:
    I know a teacher in my school who focuses on team points:
    You can get 1 point for each lesson of the day, 2 points for each playtime (as long as nobody in the class says that they didn't have a good playtime), 1 point for cleaning up etc, whatever you want. At the end of the day and/or end of each lesson, the class goes over how they behaved and points are added up. The class needs to have a minimum of points to be able to have their "3rd grade club" (which of course has its own membercards etc..) which is last lesson on firday, which includes them picking from a list of choices, like drawing, reading, playing board games etc. This class also uses timers for everything, and if they don't do things in time, they lose their points for that lesson.
    All points the yreceive over the minimum is also added together, so if their minimum is 30 and they got 45, they get 15 points extra which can be saved and added together from week to week and, as decided with the whole class, be used for watching a fun movie of that length of minutes, a popcorn party etc (These Extras either come with one minute per extra point they get or a set number of points, like 50 extra is a popcorn party or something else that is special.) The list over rewards hang under their "3rd grade club sign so the students can look at it whenever they want.

Good luck

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 5, 2007

A friend of mine has a behavior plan where each student gets are certain amount of tickets, and if they don't meet the expectations they lose tickets... something like that. Anyway look at Mrs. Powell's website, she has something similar to that.

My school has a school-wide program, Make Your Day. I think that's what makes it so effective. Does your school have anything like that?

6. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 5, 2007

Julie, What I did this past year with my 2nd graders and what I intend to continue with them in third grade is I had the card system. If they had to move their card the fourth time I had them use my cell phone to call their Mom or Dad IMMEDIATELY. I only had to do that with approximately 3 kids and they realized I was telling them the truth. The steps up to number 4 were 1) warning 2)Write the rule broken ten times 3) loose 1/2 of recess. I very seldom had kids get past step # 2 after they realized they were going to have to call Mom and let her know that they were disrupting the learning of their classmates and keeping me from being able to teach them what they needed to learn for testing. It worked like a charm last with my 2nd graders and since they are going to the majority of my 3rd grade class I figure it will work well with them.

7. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jun 6, 2007

A teacher that I teach with makes her students write down in a behavior log when they have to "flip" a color. This way when you get the dreadful note from a parent saying that they came home and told them a completely different story- you have the behavior log that the student filled out noting his/her behavior. I think I am going to try this next year.

8. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jun 6, 2007

reward/punishment system all in one!

My behavior system worked pretty well this year. I also use the flip cards but they are a combo reward/punishment system. I put our school mascot on the front one and laminated them. The children who still have that showing at the end of the day get a ticket to save and spend at the class store (bi-weekly at first; then monthly). They LOVED earning these! I hand them out at the end and thank each one for having a super day! I like having the behavior system also be a reward system. I also start fresh each day and the kids like that they have a new chance!

When cards were flipped these are the punishments doled out:when anyone argues I just say, "it is 'yes Mrs. ____'" and they pull another card!

first card-no ticket, 5 min. off of recess
    second card-no ticket half off of recess
    third-no ticket, miss all of recess
    fourth-no ticket, miss all of recess, note/call home

I really liked that after the first few weeks "pull your card" was short and sweet and the children did it quickly. My principal really liked this system and thought that it worked well.

9. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Jun 6, 2007

I use a BRAVO system in my class. It's super simple. All I do is write 'Bravo' on the board and throughout the day I give Bravos to the kids that are listening or working well. When I give someone a Bravo, I write their name on the board. If they get several in a day, I add a check mark next to their name for each additional Bravo they receive. The kids don't get anything other than praise and their name on the board, but they love it. As soon as I start giving out Bravos everyone quickly gets in the listening position hoping they'll get one too. It seems silly, but it really works.

10. Leans417

Leans417 Rookie

Jun 6, 2007

I used a card flipping system as well this year in my 3rd grade class. I found that it works well for the students who don't often have to turn their card, but I definitely had a couple students on whom it had very little effect (my behavior problems)! Along with the card system, I also had a money system set up in which the kids could earn "bonuses" (play money) for good behavior and making good choices, which they could in turn spend at our class store once a month. They could also recieve "fines" for poor behavior, not turning homework in, etc. This worked well for my kids because it was more tangible than the cards. They saw the relationship- the better behaved they were, the more money they could earn. I routinely would praise students for good choices and give them bonuses, "Ashley, I just love how you are working quietly on your morning work. I'm going to give you 50 cents" and then all the other kids around her would sit quietly and work. I plan on using it again next year.

My coworker uses a "behavior dot" system, which is really easy. He has an incentives chart with all the students names on it. He simply gives "dots" to students on the chart when they behave well, etc. Every 10 dots or so, they get to choose something from his jar. Students can lose dots as well for not completing homework and bad behavior. Its like the money system but a little less maintenance.

11. HawaiianPenguin

HawaiianPenguin Rookie

Jun 8, 2007

Our school started something new this year and I really, really liked it. All students start on Excellent, then if they break a rule, they get a warning or depending on the offense, move their clip to good. They get a 10 minute time out then. If there continues to be problems they get moved to fair, or a behavior note home and/or a call. If there STILL is a problem they get to Needs Improvement or go to the office (I have not had any students get to this, despite my rather exciting population).
    This is all similar to many other programs, but it is different, because the students may move their clips back up. For example, if a student has been calling out and moves to good, but then start raising their hand, they can move back up to excellent. I have found the students being able to redeem themselves to be a big motivator for a lot of students who have discipline issues. They know if they have reached "good" by 9:30, they still have the opportunity to move back up to excellent. Otherwise, they might give up, because they already "lost" their excellent behavior for the day.
    The students sign out at the end of the day, where their behavior ended: excellent, good, fair, or Needs Improvement. On Friday I have a brief ceremony where students who got all excellent get to choose a sticker. Several students who have had serious issues with behavior in previous grades, have really gotten excited about being able to be celebrated for their behavior. It gives the students something to shoot for, not just throughout the week, but each day.

12. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Jun 10, 2007

oooh...I LOVE the students calling their parents. I bet that worked...who wants to have to do that.

I think I might use that this next school year.

Thanks