I need a new review game

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by robinsky, Mar 16, 2009.

1. robinsky

robinsky Rookie

Mar 16, 2009

My favorite review activities are bingo (where I put out 20 or so numbered questions on sheets of paper scattered around the room, and kids fill out 4x4 grids with the number of the question and the answer. Then I call out numbers and whoever gets a bingo has to explain all their answers to the class), and a whiteboard activity (where each pair of kids has a little whiteboard and a marker and eraser. I put up questions on a powerpoint, give them a minute to work, then they hold up their boards and get points if they have it right. Then I explain each answer, or have a kid do it).

I like these games because there is no speed element, as in Jeopardy, which gets my kids too wild, and there is a chance to explain each question.

However, I'm getting a little bored with these. Does anyone have a different game where I can do about 20 questions, there's no time pressure to do the problems fast, and there's a chance to go over each one?

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2009

How old are your students?

4. robinsky

robinsky Rookie

Mar 17, 2009

7th grade math.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2009

I play Basketball Review with my 7th and 8th grade LA classes. They do it from the review guide; but you can adapt it to giving a problem to them, letting them work out the answer, then showing the answer.

Kids work in groups; for every question they get right, they get 1 point and a chance to shot a basket (Nerf hoop) from the 1, 2, or 3 point line (tape on the floor). Group with the most points at the end of the review gets a couple bonus points on the test. If they get the question wrong, no point, no baskets.

They love it because they get to throw a ball in class. I love it because everyone wants to throw the ball, so they work hard to get the right answer :)

6. NewGuy85

NewGuy85 New Member

Mar 20, 2009

I do exactly the same thing as Cheb. Dang you Cheb I thought I made up this game and you describe it exactly as I do it. Review bball is fun, but it can get a bit competitive and they will lose the point that they are reviewing and do anything to win.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2009

Ha! I totally stole it from a teacher I had many years ago!

The boys, of course, strut and play it up when it's their turn to shoot... but I just remind them if there's too much horsing around or too much emphasis on the baskets, we won't play again.