I need a new phone.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by futureteach21, Jul 26, 2009.

1. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 26, 2009

I have been with sprint for probably the past five years and haven't been happy with it AT ALL. I can't count the number of times I have complained, had a broken phone, been overcharged, whatever. It's been a mess.

My question is, what carrier should I go with? And have any of you had any experience with best buy/walmart or some store that carries many phones and plans? How did it go?

Any help is great!

3. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 26, 2009

I have AT&T. I've had it since it was Bellsouth Mobility 20+ years ago. I haven't had any problems in all my years with them. My husband has Verizon through his work and he's satisfied with them too. Not much help, huh?

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2009

I have to agree with you here...I, too, detest Sprint! UGH.

I was extrememly happy with TMobile waaaay back when I got 3,000 anytime minutes for $39.00...it was a very old special and they do not carry it anymore:D
    I lost it when DH talked me into going with a local provider.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2009

I HATE Sprint!
    Here is my cell phone history:
    I have had Verizon (twice), Sprint/NEXTEL (twice) and T-Mobile.

I liked T-Mobile except that they had VERY bad service in the town I lived in. When I went to school or work, it was fine. When I was home, not so much.

I have been with Verizon for the last 4-5 years and am very happy. Their customer service is great and there is only one place I ever have a service problem (ironically, it is at home- I passed my subdivision before I moved to it and would always drop calls and now I live here and have no cell service. I have called Verizon and they are aware it is an issue, but 'have no plans on adding an additional tower at this time.' Grrr... I will add that AT&T does not have service near my house, either. I live in a giant dead zone, LOL. Except for crappy Sprint- their phones seem to have service where I live. Go figure.) My phone was stolen months ago and they were great- they reversed all the charges and allowed me to purchase a phone at a one-year contract price (I had just gotten the phone 3 months before and dropped my insurance :banghead:)

Anyway- love Verizon :)

6. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

My family has had Verizon for about 9 years and we love it. We had problems with not having service at our home, but they have since added a tour and we now have service almost everywhere we go. We even had phones that did not work and they exchanged them for other phones, no problems at all.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 26, 2009

I would ask people who live where you do. At my country house, we only get reception with the ATT phones. The Verizon and Sprint phones only work if you drive down the quarter mile driveway and talk by the mailbox!

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2009

I have AT7T and have had no problems, but we live in a pretty densely populated area - lots of cell towers nearby.

I love the Samsung Eternity phone that I got for Xmas, though. LOVE IT! It's sort of like the iPhone, but not as expensive.
    Kim

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 26, 2009

We have used Verizon for years and had no problems.

10. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 26, 2009

I just switched to VZW from TMobile and I love it! I actually get service in my basement and in elevators :)

I have the Blackberry Curve and my friend has the Alias 2... which BTW is probably the coolest phone I've seen in awhile!

11. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 26, 2009

I had Sprint for like 5 years too and finally had to give it up! Was paying way too much! I am now with Verizon and very happy so far!

12. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2009

I have verizon and love them!!!!

13. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jul 26, 2009

I think its funny no one has anything nice to say about sprint. They have been royally awful! Thanks for the advice! I have a contact at ATT so I think I'll try that out first and see what kind of deals I can get.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 27, 2009

I've had AT&T for the past 5+ yrs & I like it & don't plan on changing. Before that, I had Cingular, but the two have merged now anyway.

15. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Jul 27, 2009

Sprint does not have coverage at the college where my daughter attends, so when her contract was up, we went to a family (share the minutes) plan on AT&T. We love it! We have unlimited texting (whole family) and we can call each other's cell phones without burning minutes. Most of my calls are to & from the kids, so we hardly use any minutes. It's great.

I have an LG Xenon with a slidey querty keyboard. It was $100 after rebate. I like it a lot. While I'm not as fast at texting as the kids are, my text messages are spelled correctly and usually grammatically correct.

Best to you.

16. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

We have Verizon because it works at my school and for a lot of reasons my husband likes. Unfortunately, like many of you, coverage was not good at our house but a few months ago he bought this boost thingy (really technical, huh) and now our service is great.

17. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

I have always wondered WHY many people I know use Sprint. They are also so proud to say they use Sprint. But WHY??
    You have to count your minutes and you don't even get enough. Customer service stinks, way too many people waiting to talk with them about problems, etc..AND you're tied down with a 2 year contract. Go figure. :eek:hmy:
    Common sense people, common sense.

18. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2009

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 30, 2009

I also meant to add that I have a new Samsung Eternity that I got about 2 mos ago & I really like it!

20. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2009

We have had Sprint for 7 years. We get a military discount and have never had any problems. I was on a trip on my own a couple years ago when my parents were getting new phones. I still had my old phone, and halfway through the process my mom realized I would be without my phone on my 3 hour drive home. The people in the store called me and walked me through keeping my old phone active and told me how to reactivate the new one. They were very nice.

From what I hear, all the cell phone providers are bad at one time or another. They all routinely take the top slots on those yearly worst customer service lists. I priced out similar contracts every few years and never found anyone any cheaper once you add up all the extras. Sprint has a cheaper international calling plan than the others.

But no loyalty here--just convenience. In October, I am buying iPhones for myself and my mom, so we will switch to At&T. Luckily October is when our contract is up (haha and when I have paychecks).

My roommate had Verizon and would always lose or break her phone. She paid $7/month for insurance, but then could never get a replacement locally because apparently there are very few "official" stores, the nearest being over an hour away.

21. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2009

We have unlimited minutes on weekends and weekdays after 7pm, as well as to each other. It is pretty much identical to the plans Verizon has, except we get a significant military discount (this is why we use Sprint). And we can call Ireland for .08/minute.

Who DOESN'T require a 2 yr contract for best rates and phone deals? Everyone else we have investigated does, but if your contract lapses, you can stay month to month with no differences as long as you don't want new phone rebates. Customer service has usually had a less than 2-3 minute hold time, if it isn't instant.

I pretty much stand by my assertion that all the providers are lousy. Most people I know hate their cell phone provider. T-mobile has a store here, but they actually don't have coverage on campus--explain THAT to me. My biggest gripe with Sprint is that I almost always lose coverage in commercial buildings. It is annoying.

22. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2009

We have Verizon and I just got the LG Dare phone.

http://lgdare.net/

I LOVE it! Verizon was having a special I think where I got it for $59.99 after a mail in rebate.

23. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2009

Absolutely, NO contract with my phone, server POCKET! :) +
    Unlimited calling & txt msging in the U.S.
    Unlimited picture msging.
    Unlimited caller Directory assistance
    Unlimited mobile web

All for $40 a month.
    The only pitfall would be if I took a trip and that's just not going to happen; been with this company for 2 years now and love it.
    oh! Calling to Italy & Canada is about 5 cents a minute - yes, we use that alot. Now; if I were to buy the calling card at the store, I could get it for only 2 cents a minute!
    :thumb:

24. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2009

Which carrier do you have?

25. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 31, 2009

We used to have Sprint and I had to go outside to get service. We stopped it and switched to T-Mobile years ago. They have wonderful customer service and are very accomodating when it comes to changing things or having some silly self-creating problem.

My son got a Samsung Behold from them for his birthday. It is nice.

26. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2009

Molly, my carrier is "Pocket".

There is also another called "Cricket", if "Pocket" is not in your area.