I need a March art activity

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Gwen, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Feb 28, 2008

I have a parent helper coming in on Monday. I usually like to do art with parent helpers. For some reason I'm having a hard time coming up with a fun art activity. I do not want to do rainbows because that ties into a curriculum unit we do at the end of the year. What suggestions do you have?

Thanks!!

3. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Feb 28, 2008

How about making butterflies out of coffee filters? Drop food coloring on them, let them dry, put one of the old fashioned clothes pins in the middle and Voila.. butterflies

4. soozabelle

soozabelle Rookie

Feb 28, 2008

You can do lion and lambs out of paper plates. Let the kids decide whether they are more like a lion or a lamb. Have the kids paint the paper plates yellow for a lion and pink for a lamb. Glue pieces of brown/tan yarn around the edges for a lion and cotton balls for the lamb. I did this and also read books about each animal and did a venn diagram. I also had them list a reason why they are like that animal. (I am a lion because I am brave. I am a lamb because I'm sweet, etc.)

5. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Feb 28, 2008

What about having them make some sort of reversible lion/lamb locker decoration that they can switch depending on the weather?

You could make rhyming shamrocks out of 4 green hearts. Have the students draw 4 rhyming words and write the words for them. Glue the hearts onto a bigger shamrock pattern so that they know how to assemble them. If you need more, have them write about what they'd wish for (on the back) if they found a 4-leaf clover.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 28, 2008

Hot air balloons - make the pattern and have the students glue torn or cut tissue paper squares to the balloon. You can either have them color the basket or do a basket weave with brown construction paper strips. We did some with the transportation unit and they are one of my favorites from the year. They look great hanging from the ceiling too (if you are allowed to do that!).

7. MissB

MissB Companion

Mar 3, 2008

"Stained Glass" Shamrocks

Trace shamrocks onto wax paper (about 10x10?) Cut squares of various shades of green tissue paper. Mix glue and water (a little more water than glue). Then have kids glue the tissue paper to the wax paper with paintbrushes (like decoupaging). Let them dry overnight and cut out the following day. These can hang in the window, like stained glass.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2008

Don't forget Easter is this month as well. And we Spring ahead on Sunday!!!

Lots of stuff. We did shamrocks out of coffee filters the blue & yellow didn't blend as well as I would have liked (any tips)!! But still turned out ok & it was fun!!!

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 3, 2008

Spray the filter with a fine mister (they sell them with the travel items for .50 at WalMart) before you start painting and if the students don't paint heavily, spray it again after until it is fairly wet and starts to "bleed".

10. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Mar 3, 2008

I am going to make kites and hang them from our room. I take a big kite shaped diamond and four small diamonds that are orange, green, purple and yellow and have them glue the four smaller diamonds onto the big diamond and then have them color the back of the big diamond and string and a couple bows for a tail and I have a kite. Our shape this month is diamond so it helps to enforce it.

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2008

I saw a really simple activity for a shamrock paint print. Buy a couple of bell peppers that have well-defined 3 lobes, cut in half, let the kids paint with green on a lighter green paper and sprinkle with gold glitter while it's still wet.

Since March is so windy, how about windsocks? They're easy to make with a long construction paper rectangle and some streamers.

Kim

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 4, 2008

I am cutting out the center of a paper plate and having the children attach streamers to make a rainbow.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2008

Thanks!!! After we got started I knew I forgot something!!!

14. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Mar 5, 2008

Lots of good ideas. I ended up making the hot air balloons. The kids loved them and they turned out cute. They made a great bulletin board.