I need a good grammar lesson

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Gwen, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Jan 9, 2009

Anyone have a good lesson for teaching pronouns or verbs?

Grammar is getting boring in my class :yawn:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2009

How about a pronoun hunt? Have kids look through books for as many pronouns as they can find...chart what they find.

Verbs- act out action verbs, create aluminum foil or pipe cleaner 'statues' of figures engaged in 'action'- label with the verb, play 'verb' charades...

If you are bored, the kids will be bored. Spice it up!

4. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Jan 30, 2009

I bought a set of book from Scholastic called "Grammar Tales." They have titles like The Planet Without Pronouns, A Verb for Herb, and The Mega-Deluxe Capitalization Machine. My kids love them. I also have Schoolhouse Rock on DVD which has lots of grammar songs. (You can find all the Schoolhouse Rocks on Youtube, but my school blocks it. teachertube.com has a few, but not all of them. I got it for Christmas!)

5. corney

corney Companion

Jan 30, 2009

You can get the Schoolhouse Rocks DVD's at Target. My SIL used them in her kindergarten class, her kids love them..

6. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Jan 30, 2009

Something as simple as this can be fun: have everyone think of a verb and act it out for the class. The class must guess what the action word is! The kinesthetic movement really drives the concept home for some kids. When they ask what a verb is later, you can say remember when you "did" it for the class? A verb is something you can do.

7. greyna2

greyna2 Rookie

Jan 30, 2009

For Pronouns, we play a game similar to Duck, Duck, Goose. I have index cards with nouns written on them. The students form a circle, one person is IT. They go around tapping the the students saying duck, duck, duck, then they stop on a student and say the noun on the card. The other student says a pronoun that could take the place of the noun. If correct they trade places.

8. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Jan 31, 2009

9. mrs a

mrs a Companion

Feb 2, 2009

charades and walks

You can play charades with verbs. It really shows then that verb requires action. I also ask them to act it out. But for every new part of speech, we take a Noun walk, Verb walk, adverb walk, etc. The class walks around (and I usually allow them access to parts of school that are normally off limits, like the principal's office, the cafeteria kitchen, the teacher's workroom, etc) They just walk and observe and try to find the part of speech in our surroundings. Then we share what we have when we are finished.