I need a good argument...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by atomic, Mar 23, 2010.

1. atomic

atomic Companion

Mar 23, 2010

...for getting my school to let me use my private laptop in school.

They won't supply us laptops, so I'm buying my own. I checked with the tech guy and he told me I won't be able to use the internet connection at the school. :(

Is it really that likely that my laptop will be able to infect the school's mainframe with a virus or is that 1990's BS? :confused:

I'm tired of spending a lot of my time trying to make sure that all of my computers are sync'd. Plus I want to be able to spend more time with my one year old. I'm always putting him in his crib to get school work done on the desktop computer or not getting my school work done and cramming it into 20 minutes before homeroom. It makes me feel like I'm one of the HS students. :) But I'm not willing to sacifice my time with my son. I feel the time we spend together now is what's going to shape our relationship, and him as a person, for the future.

3. Rox

Rox Cohort

Mar 23, 2010

Is there a policy in writing that forbids the use of your personal laptop?

Do you have software on your laptop that the school won't pay for?

Did the tech guy say you can't (as in, the technology won't allow new computers), or he won't allow you to use the internet at school?

Anything can happen as far as viruses, even on the school's own computers, so it doesn't make a difference if it's your laptop or a school computer.

Why do your computers need to be sync'd? Can you use online or external storage?

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 23, 2010

I have a school-issued laptop that I use at school and home.

But, before ... I had a desktop at school and a desktop at home. I didn't have sync issues, I used email to move stuff back and forth. There are other options: cloud computing, flashdrive.

While I admit that having a laptop is better, I don't remember it taking a lot of time to make sure I had stuff at home and school.

If a laptop would let you spend more time with you child, I'd go for it definately.

All of our students have laptops that move between home and school. But, maybe our network is designed for it. I know we all (teachers and students) have to log in to our network. Perhaps that offers protection?

When we have presenters from outside the school, their laptops are always allowed.

I suspect there are workarounds to protect the network. But, my knowledge of networks is limited.

5. Toak

Toak Cohort

Mar 23, 2010

I'm willing to bet most of the high schoolers in the district would be able to tell you how to connect your laptop to the network....

Honestly, I don't see how plugging it into the wall jack (and perhaps making a copy of a software program installed on the school computer and transferring it to your laptop) wouldn't immediately grant you the same access. Of course you could get in very big trouble for doing that so I wouldn't recommend trying even if it could be done in less than 5 minutes

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2010

If you want internet access, perhaps you could get a wireless card that you can use with your laptop anywhere.

7. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Mar 23, 2010

I think part of the issue is that the school can't block access to certain websites/pages if you bring your personal laptop to school.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2010

Beezus, true...but at this point, are they going to confiscate iPhones from the teachers each morning as well?

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 23, 2010

I'm allowed to use my home laptop at school, but it is against my school board's policy to connect to the internet. I'm assuming everything will be changed next year as my school board is trying to get our students to use technology more, so they will be allowed to bring their laptops, ipods, iphones, etc...from home to use while at school.

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Mar 23, 2010

I don't know that that is true. I brought my home laptop this summer while I was doing some work and before I thought about it decided to check my facebook- it immediately set off the sirens/alarm etc.

11. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Mar 27, 2010

buy an external hard drive that you can save all the stuff you work on at home - then just plug in to the school computer -you can save word documents - videos - everything! and they fit in your hand and will save anything you need for the rest of time!