I need a gift idea for a male student teacher!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Apr 28, 2008

I have a male student teacher who lives out if town. I usually get student teachers a gift certificate to our local teacher supply store. But since he is moving several hours away immediately after he graduates in 2 weeks, I need a different idea. Someone suggested a gift card to Staples. Any other thoughts?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 28, 2008

When I finished student teaching, my CT had all the kids bring in a package of pens, pencils, stickers, markers, etc. It was a great way to jumpstart my own supply.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 28, 2008

Oh, she also took a picture of each of them and had them each write me a good luck message. She then compiled it into a photo album--it was really touching, and I still have it 5 years later!

5. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 28, 2008

My supervising teacher had the kids write a little letter to me and she bound it in a book. The kids told me not to read it until I was on my plane to Ireland. It was very sweet!

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 28, 2008

Lakeshore Learning has a great on-line selection and would be a great alternative to the teacher store gift certificate. Staples has some great stuff too :2up: My teacher gave me a gift certificate and a storage container with markers, pens, post-its, flash cards, etc... that were appropriate for my grade level.

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Apr 28, 2008

One of the sweetest gifts I was given by my cooperating teacher was a book on teaching--- the book actually saved her after her first year of teaching when she was feeling blah. If there's a teaching book that particularly influenced your teaching skills and kept you going through the hard times, you might want to pick him up a copy and write a little thank you or whatever on the inside cover, like mine did. It's part of my ever growing teacher library now and I just love it :)

8. Miss JE

Miss JE Companion

Apr 29, 2008

One of my cooperating teachers asked students to donate books or order a few extra from scholastic to give to me! She put all the books in a big basket and it was a great start to my class library!

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 29, 2008

Does Scholastic have gift cards?

10. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Apr 29, 2008

My cooperating teachers did similar things to me that you guys are mentioning. Had the kids write little notes, bring in things, or purchased things that I could use in my own classroom. There are lots of things that you can get that are approprite for all grade levels (pens, pencils, highlighters, white out, tape, staplers <--I went through at least 4 in 2 years!, paper clips, sticky clips, paper, folders....).

11. Bridget

Bridget Rookie

Apr 30, 2008

I student taught last year and both of my supervising teachers gave me "a first-year teacher survival kit." EZ grader, notepads, grading pens, whistle, Ibuprofen, cough drops, etc...

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 30, 2008

We just prepared one. It includes:

*borders for her first bulletin boards
    *M shaped sticky notes for her name
    *a large plastic hurricane cup with a crazy straw in it with a note that says, "You finished! You graduated! Celebrate with some fun in the sun." (This was inspired by a student's comment.)
    *a rain gauge frog because she did a huge weather portfolio for this semester's class and this is what we taught in our classroom while she was there
    *an autograph hound dog with a grad hat that the kids signed
    *a laminated picture of her with the class
    *cards from the students

The whole package, bags included, cost about $15.

Start with stuff for his future (I like the teaching book), add something from students and wrap up with something personal.

I like the first year survival kit too.

13. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

May 1, 2008

These ideas all seem great, but I'm just not sure what will "fit" my student teacher. He has a spec. ed. degree with a certification for elementary and will probably be working with much older kids. There is a possibility he will take a job traveling between schools, so I don't want to buy for a classroom that he may not have. I love the book idea so I think I will have the kids write something and bind it for him. However, I'm still up in the air about anything else. I've already loaned him my favorite teaching book, or else that would be a great idea. Am I hard to please, or what? hee hee

14. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 1, 2008

What about getting him something for him as a person, rather than him as a teacher? Gift card to Starbucks or favorite restaurant (so he can take a lucky lady out to celebrate his graduations?)...

I got sticky tac, postits, and some other miscellaneous teaching supplies, also... not stuff so much for a particular classroom, but just stuff teachers use anyway. Does that help?

15. allyd

allyd Rookie

May 2, 2008

I have a male student teacher right now and the students decided to give him a teacher's basket to start his first classroom. They are bringing in items to fill a filing crate (which I purchased). So far we have highlighters, expo markers, pens...to mention just a few items. Funnily enough, in our secret locker where they are storing things, I found a stack of party hats! I guess the students are planning on wearing them for his going away party. They are just too funny! They made his cards using pictures that we took this year. I take tons of pictures so we just printed them out and they incorporated them into their cards. Many of them put balloons by their picture and have themselves saying something like "I really liked when you taught us about fractions!"