I need a book...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dgpiaffeteach, Mar 4, 2013.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 4, 2013

I need another book to read. I'm currently reading The Year We Disappeared, which is wonderful but I left it at work :(

I really like books by Philippa Gregory (sp?). I'm also always looking for high interest nonfiction. We're getting ready to read TKAM so maybe something similar to The Help? I'm open for suggestions :D

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2013

dgp~have you read any books by Alison Weir? I LOVE Philippa Gregory as well and can't wait to The White Princess comes out. Weir writes about the same thing.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 4, 2013

I think I've read one or two by her. They were pretty good if I recall. I'll have to google to find another. Thanks!

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 4, 2013

I have a Lisa Gardner book on hold at the library that people are recommending on Good Reads. Her books are usually really good.
    I will have to check out Allison Weir. I love Philippa Gregory books but I tried to read her first book (I think) called Wideacre and it was terrible. It is part of a trilogy and I got a few chapters into the 2nd book and had to stop.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2013

I read a lot of nonfiction (when I have time to read.) I love Bill Bryson; his newest is At Home, and it's a fascinating look at the history of domestic living. I like Malcolm Gladwell, too.

7. smalltowngal

Mar 4, 2013

The Wideacre trilogy was very hard to get through. She has another book called Virgin Earth out that was a bit tough to get through as well. But for the most part, her books are fantastic!

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 5, 2013

Bill Bryson is amazing! Lisa Gardner can be a bit gory for me, but other authors in this type I like are Harlan Coben and John Sandford. Favorite mystery author, hands down, is Elizabeth George.

9. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Mar 5, 2013

Right now I'm reading Damage. It's a self published book and pretty good. =) I have a lot of Nora Roberts books. Before Damage, I read book 1 in the Wedding Quartet Series. Lisa Gardner is pretty good. I also really like Janet Evanovich books.

10. TeachLI123

TeachLI123 Companion

Mar 5, 2013

The short story, "Mateo's Tale," by Holly J. Margaret was great and a quick read. I would highly recommend it.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 5, 2013

I just read a YA book called Splintered. It has an Alice and Wonderland theme. I thought it was a fun read.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 5, 2013

Don't get me started on the Stephanie Plum books. I read the last one in one day...laughed out loud at Lula's antics so often my hubby had to leave the room LOL

13. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Comrade

Mar 5, 2013

I love Phillipa Gregory's book, and believe it or not, I enjoy the Song of Ice and Fire series because of the similarities. I'm intrigued by the medieval time period of Kings and Queens which you definitely get in the Song of Ice and Fire series. I loved the show "Game of Thrones", and the books so far definitely surpass the quality of the show.

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 9, 2013

I just finished reading The Invisible Bridge and really liked. It is basically the Holocaust experiences of one man and his family, but he was a Hungarian Jew. Very different than any other book of this sort I've read.

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 10, 2013

I'm currently finishing up The Rebellion of Jane Clark by Sally Gunning. It's historical fiction--written from a young woman's perspective of the events leading up to/surrounding the Boston Massacre. I've really enjoyed it, and can't wait to read some of her other books!

16. smalltowngal

Mar 10, 2013

ama~I might have to put that one on my list!

I'm finishing up The Tudor Secret by C.W Gortner. Of course it takes place in Tudor times after Henry VIII dies and Edward VI is dying. I have to research to see if there is any basis for what is written. I have never heard it before.

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 10, 2013

Has anyone here read "Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind" by Ann Ross?

18. smalltowngal

Mar 10, 2013

Never heard of it, runs.

I just realized that I have 13 books on my reading list....WHAT?!

19. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 11, 2013

Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie was an amazing read, and if I had time I'd read it again. It's non-fiction about her life, lovers and all, and her reign as the Russian Queen. I've just started The Art of Hearing Heartbeats.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 11, 2013

I track my books on Good Reads and I do get some good recommendations from people. If anyone would like to become friends on there let me know. I have signed up for 100 book challenge for this year. I am a few books behind but I plan on catching up during spring break!

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 11, 2013

There are lots of Miss Julia books and I have read one of them but I don't think it was that one. I do like to read books that are part of a series.

22. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 11, 2013

I guess this is the first of the series. I'd never heard of it either, but I found it on a shelf of a classroom library (4th grade) while subbing. The story line looks interesting (though NOT 4th grade appropriate IMO) and I was wondering if anyone had heard of it. I never had.

23. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Mar 11, 2013

I am still reading Damage.
    However I am reading Beautiful Creatures with some of my persons served at work and so far, 3 chapters in, it is an awesome book.

24. smalltowngal

Mar 11, 2013

HootOwl~thanks for that recommendation...make that 14 books on my to read list!

25. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Mar 11, 2013

I heard good things about The Aviator's Wife. I currently have a hold on it at the library. I'm reading The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling right now but am having a hard time getting into it. It sounds like it picks up eventually from other reviews, though.

26. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 11, 2013

Wanted to update-The Year We Disappeared was so awesome! I highly recommend it!

27. smalltowngal

Mar 11, 2013

Betty~I had that one on my list, but I don't know if I'll get around to reading it.

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 11, 2013

I gave up on Casual Vacancy after about 100 pages. Just couldnt get into it.