I need a Behavior Plan, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by readytoteach4th, Aug 10, 2007.

1. readytoteach4th

readytoteach4th Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

I am just starting out in fourth grade I have worked with younger children and they seem to do well with the card system, but I don't think that this system is meant for older kids what has worked for you? Need help:blush:

3. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Aug 11, 2007

What about using pretend money for kids to earn, and then buy things from the Class Store? I've seen it used where students earn pennies and then on Fridays they can exchange into bigger coins or dollars, depending on how much they save. Students can work the class store as well to practice making change, and the class will hopefully get a sense of the importance of saving money. Of course, you could always take money away as needed when students need to "pay" for their offenses.

Some teachers are against this, but I've seen it work and I like how it incorporates learning into the picture. It's also left up to the students about what they want to do with their money (save or spend), so they are learning about making good choices.

4. msb0803

msb0803 Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

I used a card system last year in 5th grade and plan to use it again this year in 4th grae. I also buy tickets and let the students cash in on Friday. They LOVE it!

5. MrsCSoup

MrsCSoup Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

I used the cards system before and it worked with that group of kids. Those students needed a visual.

Last year, I used a clipboard and recorded behaviors on my chart. Students would lose 2 minutes of recess time for each "letter" they received. Students were rewarded for good behavior at the end of the week (no more than 1 letter per day). Of course, I had behavior contracts for those who needed a "different" plan.

This year, we are not self-contained and I will have 2 groups of students. I am hoping to use an economy system (using tickets). Students will receive tickets for good behavior, random acts of kindness, etc. They will also be fined tickets for breaking rules. Another teacher used this last year with her kids and it worked well. I am still thinking about how I want to set it up.

6. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Aug 12, 2007

My students earn points for a "party" I put up "25 points" on the whiteboard each morning. As I need to, I remove points, class talking or off task....I don't say anything, I just walk over and start marking off points. I use this all day long, it really keeps them on task and quiet. Now this is the important part.... I give them a goal to reach and at the beginning of the year it is low. So they may have to earn 75 points to earn a party. They could (if they were perfect!) earn a party within the first week.... That of course, does not happen.:rolleyes: It usually takes up to a month to earn the first "party", but I try to make sure they get one fairly quickly so that they understand the benefit of keeping their points. I keep a running tally of their points, so they always know how many they have and how many they need. I write....
    "We have 37 points" --- (or however many they have)
    "We need 75 points" --- on the board every day along with the 25 underneath. When they earn their "party" I let them give me ideas (I have power of veto) and then the class votes on it. Obviously, the "parties" are not always what you would consider a party. We have done things like show and tell, extra time at recess, "read the morning away" whatever they vote on, and of course occasionally, they have things like...popcorn and a movie, board game afternoons, etc. Each time the # of points they need goes up.... so it gets harder to get a party and they get better trained. ;)

7. readytoteach4th

readytoteach4th Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Point system

I like that it sounds pretty simple and that is always good! Thanks