I Must Share My Success This Year!!!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by leisurej, Oct 15, 2009.

1. leisurej

leisurej Rookie

Oct 15, 2009

I'm trying something new this year and it's been a huge success. I teach high school Geometry and Algebra. I've been so surprise at how well the response has been. I even had another teacher stop by to find out about it.

My students receive "Leisure Bucks" (Leisure is my last name). I carry a pouch full of Leisure Bucks and as they do appropriate behavior: raising hands, giving correct answers, helping out in class, and what ever else I see fits. They can use the Leisure Bucks for a number of things: 5 Bucks - Restroom pass; 5 Bucks - Locker; 5 Bucks - to sit with a friend on only that day; 3 Bucks - Recieve a complementary phone call to parents; 2 Bucks - Pencil; 10 Bucks - HW Pass, they can only purchase one HW pass per week; 10 Bucks - Answer Check on a Test or Quiz; and 40 Bucks - to have dinner with the teacher at the end of the year.

I made the Leisure Bucks (below) at Vista Print. I really feel that one of the reasons the kids have taken so well to the Bucks is how professional they look.

The students seem to love it. It helps me to stay consistent! At first they didn't like the idea of "Having to purchase a bathroom pass." But after suggesting that I could give them only three passes per semester, they decided it would be better to use the Leisure Bucks.

I have several kids saving up for dinner with me. I think my hubby may have to cook hotdogs in the parking lot, so that we don't break our bank account.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Oct 15, 2009

This is cool! I may have to borrow it.

4. eax05

eax05 Rookie

Oct 16, 2009

WOW great idea

5. eax05

eax05 Rookie

Oct 16, 2009

i am jacking this ,thanks

6. eax05

eax05 Rookie

Oct 16, 2009

sorry for the multy reply, but i forgot to ask you a question.

What grade is your class from.
    Do you think this will work with HS kids?

7. leisurej

leisurej Rookie

Oct 16, 2009

I teach high school (9th and 10th with a few 11th graders)

I have two classes of 9th graders and one geometry of mostly 10th grade with a few 11th graders. They all seem to love it. There's a few who still refuse to participate, so they only get a few bucks. A few, of the pains, wanted to protest about the restroom (5 Leisure Bucks) the first few days. Once I said I'd be glad to give them passes, but I'll only give them 3 per semester, that shut them up. I let them borrow from each other, as far as I'm concerned it's not my business, as long as they have the amount needed.

My honors students who never go to the restroom and are always getting the bucks for raising hands and correct answers, they really like the answer/check. Answer/Check(10 Leisure Bucks) - During a test or quiz, they can ask me if the answer they have is correct? I say Yes it's right or No it's wrong. It just releases some of that pressure they may be feeling about a particular problem.

Oh, another offer is Highest (3 Leisure Bucks), which everyone should have. This is the first year I've ever allowed retakes. All students, no matter what their grade, can take a Retake and I average the two grades together; however, with 3 Leisure Bucks, I'll take the highest of the two grades, instead.

My last class came into me with the notion that they could drive me out and get me to quit like their teacher last year; they have even responded very well.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2009

My son's grade 9 English teacher did something very similar and it was a huge hit with the class. He would pass them out randomly and staple some to the front of tests or assignments done really well. One of the most popular items for purchase, apparently, was a jumbo bag of lollipops that would usually be opened and shared during class.

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2009

I'm glad that's working well for you! If I get a teaching job aain I may have to try something similar.

10. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Oct 16, 2009

How did you create the bucks on Vista Print?

11. leisurej

leisurej Rookie

Oct 16, 2009

The bucks were a template on Vista Print Then added the text. I only order them and other cards I've made when they are offering a special.

12. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Oct 16, 2009

This sounds excellent!!

13. magister

magister Rookie

Oct 21, 2009

I'm surprised this works for high school students. I figured they'd think it was too childish, but if it works, let it ride. And this gives me hope for doing the same for my eighth graders because I was concerned it was too "elementary" for them. I'm going to do this with them and hope it decreases some of their bad behavior.

14. magister

magister Rookie

Oct 21, 2009

Since I'm going to try this plan, how does it work? How do you judge when to give a buck out?