I must be lousy at teaching 5th grade...

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Peachyness, Sep 6, 2007.

1. newtoschool

newtoschool Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

Horrible spelling!

I am not sure if I was sleeping when I typed my post! Remember I am 8 1/2 months pregnant but I really can spell!!

Sorry!

My kiddos are still goofy and it has been 5 weeks of school already!

2. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 13, 2007

Ok, so I'm feeling pretty lousy too...

There is another 5th grade teacher at my school. We are both second year teachers and are new to 5th grade. I spend hours here at school (I'm here an hour 1/2 before school and I usually don't leave until 8:30 or 9:00). The other 5th grade teacher is usually out of here by 4:00 and takes nothing home, except maybe some grading! She also has so many amazing activities in her room, an organized reading rotation set up, and everything! You would think that since I practically live at school I would have simular things, but No! What's wrong with me? I feel like I'm letting my students down.:(

3. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 13, 2007

:yawn:I definitely know how you feel. We are not allowed to stay past 4:00, so I take everything home. My own 4 children are complaining that all I do from the moment I get home to the time I go to bed is grade papers. They're right. I haven't done any housework in I don't know how long.
    I am teaching in a self-contained classroom with 27 students. I feel completely drained:|.

I miss my Pre-K classroom. I cry all the time (only away from school). My fifth graders are running all over me. I don't know how to get them to cooperate. Any day now, I expect the Principal to come in and tell me how out of control my room is.
    :help:I want my life back.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2007

I don't know if this will help but once I implemented PAT, things began to improve a bit. Also, I've started fining my kids, so I'm going to see how that will improve things. OH!! And we were able to link the fines to our math lesson on negative numbers (since a couple kids were fined into the negatives, they still owe me when they get paid tomorrow). Well, I'm teaching them real life skills, right?!

Deeena, will this other teacher be willing to share what she's doing in her class?

BTW, speaking of sharing, here's my new site. http://www.aesd.edu/to/nutting/
    I have a coupld of OCR related things in the teacher cabinet file page. Are you still doing OCR?

5. jellokites

jellokites Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

We all make mistakes! I have done it many times in math...and the kids love pointing out my mistakes!:lol: They aren't mean about it, but they realize I'm human too!:eek::lol:
    Plus, it shows them that we all make mistakes and can learn from them too!:)

6. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 17, 2007

Yes, she does share, but only if I ask. Sometimes I feel like I'm asking WAY too much. When I find a neat resource or create something, I will either make her a copy or ask her if she wants a copy of what I've done. I was hoping she'd get the idea and start just making me copies or offering when she comes up with a good idea. At least she doesn't seem to mind sharing if I ask her to.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2007

That's good that at least she shares with you. That was what it was like last year when I taught kinder. The other teachers never willingly shared with me. I really liked to share my things with them... but they never, EVER shared their stuff with me when they found something. I eventually stopped sharing with them and just did my own stuff.

Anyways, how are things going so far?

8. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 18, 2007

Peachy,

Things are going well for the most part. I am enjoying my students and they are pretty well behaved other than being too chatty or loud at times. I feel like I'm a stronger primary teacher, as I struggle with teaching the 5th grade curriculum I definitely see the pluses and minuses of kinder and 5th. At this school I get a ton more help and support than I ever did at my past school, which has made this transition easier. How about you?

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2007

Well, things are going fine overall. I'm getting the hang of this. Really, it is much easier than kinder. I remember last year I was so stressed and pulling my hair out. This year, I'm not too stressed. Just a tad, but nothing like it was when the new year of kinder started.

My kids can also be a bit chatty, I just have to remind them of the level I want them to be at. If nothing else, then I just start rewarding the quiet ones with tiger bucks, or give group points. PAT has also been great! Before I started PAT, they would take forever getting their things out and ready to go. Now, it takes them less than 2 minutes, PLUS, they have to do it quietly or else I take some time away.

I did have some behavior issues today, more than normal. I'm not certain why, it just seemed like everyone was trying to push my buttons. We swith for ELD, and the kiddos that come to me, a group of boys, are so rude and annoying. Thank goodness I only have them for about 30 minutes. :D

10. luv2teach415

luv2teach415 Companion

Sep 19, 2007

Peachy- What is PAT??? I think my kids can use whatever that is because it takes them like 10 minutes to have all of thier books ready.

11. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 19, 2007

Peachy,

I read the book by Fred Jones about PAT, however it has been a long time. How are you using it in your class? What kind of activities are your students doing with their PAT time?

12. kermy

kermy Companion

Sep 23, 2007

Yea that's a good question! I had PAT time when I was in school and we did it every couple months, but I don't know if that's too long for my class, so they don't lose interest.

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2007

We start off with 15 minutes. Their goal is to earn more minutes. So, I will say, "you guys have 4 minutes to get your math books out and turn to page 70. Start!" And, if they do this loudly or I will subtract some seconds. So, whatever is left on the timer goes under the pat bank. Then, the time we earned is spent on Wednesdays. Every other week we play a fun game. These games are found on Fred Jones website. The other Wednsedays is when I open up my student store.

14. kermy

kermy Companion

Sep 24, 2007

what type of stuff do u have in your store? I have tickets and a treasure box, which really isn't that interesting right now.

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2007

I just buy my stuff from Target's dollar spot. Big hit items are cool funky pens, folders, pencil sharpners, pencil cases, water bottles, and stickers. All of these things I got from target dollar spot that were in packages. Some were also on clearence!! We are also collecting bottles and cans to help raise money for the student store.

16. jellokites

jellokites Rookie

Sep 25, 2007

The dollar spot at Target ROCKS!:D I have bought many items from there....and use it for my class store.;)
    Dollar tree and any other $$ stores are great too!
    I have also found $1 items at Joann's and Michaels.;)

17. IRAEnglishT-chr

IRAEnglishT-chr Rookie

Sep 28, 2007

OMGosh! I know exactly what you guys mean. I should probably win the pathetic fifth grade teacher award, though. I'm ONLY sharing because it's therapeutic and to make you guys feel better LOL

Here are my stupid things so far this year:

1) I freaked out when a couple kids ran in and told me that a girl had found a razor on the bus and hadn't turned it in. I went and found her as she was leaving school to get on the bus. I told her that she could be in a lot of trouble for having a razor at school. I told her to give it to me. She hesitantly retreived it from her backpack and placed it in my hand...it wasn't until she pulled her hand away that reality hit. It was a pink razr. Phone. Ugh. I'm such a dork. I thought it was a dangerous blade.

2) I got right in the middle of a math problem and realized I didn't know how to finish it, so I asked some really smart kids to come up and explain it to the class...they had no idea THEY were teaching me.

3) I was demonstrating how you can skim through a text and find important information by looking at the topic sentences in each paragraph, so I had the class help me create an outline on a topic so I could make the point that everything in a paragraph details its topic sentence. Well...the topic was "I love cars," so I asked for details that could be included in the paragraph. After a few people gave suggestions, I noticed a couple kids giggling. It eventually spread across the room until some of the kids were hiding their faces and others just couldn't hold in their laughter any more. Puzzled, I asked, "WHAT is so funny?!" One brave soul shouted out, "You wrote FART on the board!" One of the details about cars was 'fast' and my quick writing had made an s look remarkably like an r... I had to laugh, too. And erase quickly.

I have a terrible memory, too, so I wanted to offer some suggestions for hanging on to important papers. I found a box of those cheap manila folders in the room (I'm a long term sub) and started writing categories on each one as I needed a place for papers. So far, I think I have "Correspondence from Parents," "Accelerated Reader Reports," "Absence/Tardy Excuses," "Forms," "Lists," "Schedules & Calendars," "Extra Worksheets," "Parent/Teacher Conference," "Guides & Pacers," and "Extra Stuff the Kids Have Taken Home" (this last one includes papers telling about fundraisers, Boy & Girl Scout Meeting Information, etc. I'll clean it out at the end of each six weeks). I have a few others that are specific to our school, and I have one that I keep on the corner of my desk--it's labeled NOW and I keep things I need to get done right away (like today or this week) in there...usually something for the Secretary or Principal or Homeroom Mother. Having these folders in quick reach has been a lifesaver because I know right where to go to get a paper when I need it.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 28, 2007

IRAEnglish - you made me laugh out loud. Oh, I've been there. And my memory sounds like yours. Kids always have to remind me about something I left out of morning meeting or calendar. It is pitiful. Is there a memory vitamin?

19. chie

chie New Member

Sep 29, 2007

Teaching is Like Acting. You're standing up there on stage making them watch you: you'd better be worth it or tell them a story. A lecture should have a clear and simple plot. Avoid anything that distracts from this. Don't make too many points. Don't be afraid to repeat yourself. When You're Teaching a Subject, Don't Think About That Subject: Think About Teaching - don't focus on subtleties that interest you; focus on your audience. Do your preparation before class. Illustrate the Movement of Thought - people learn by example. Don't just provide an algorithm for solving a problem: act out how your students could discover how to solve it! Illustrating mistakes is just as important as showing how to do things right.

And above all: don't let them fall asleep. If they start yawning, throw a piece of chalk in their mouth. Learning is not a passive business. Keep Learning How to Teach Better - There are many levels of skill. You've only reached the top when huge crowds batter down the door to listen to you whenever you speak. If you stop trying to be better, you'll get bored and your audience will too. Teaching is more fun when you put more energy into it.

Teach the Students What You Have - not the ones you wish you had. If you get annoyed at students for being insufficiently prepared, or not as smart as you, you'll become a grumpy old fart, just like some of the lousy teachers you had.

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 29, 2007

Throw a piece of chalk ..... ? Being facetious, I hope.

21. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 29, 2007

(Laughing understandably)

One day last year, I had written a list of tasks on the board that was numbered. One student came up to ask what to do next, to which I replied something along the lines of "First do number 1 and when you're finished, go number 2." The snickers became full out laughter before I realized what I had said (remember-sixth grade)

This year, we use Write Tools for writing, and we were color coding a paragraph on colored strips of paper. A student came up with a problem, and after we had discussed, I said something like "This is why we strip, it helps us organize." Note to self: in school, strip is a noun, never a verb.

22. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 30, 2007

Too funny. Don't worry though. WE all commit those slips of the tounge.

23. kermy

kermy Companion

Oct 1, 2007

this is my first year teaching and i have realized that i'm getting really fustrated at the kids. They seem not to do the simplest of things like being quiet or putting periods at the ends of sentences. What do you to releave the stress of to calm down before you explode?

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 1, 2007

Sometimes I slip into the closet and take a deep, deep breath.

25. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 3, 2007

I have some interesting days in 4th, too, to say the least...

It's either I am dealing with know-it-all's (who talk about decreased immune systems and the redcoats who fought in the Revolutionary War)... or boys who cannot keep their hands off one another (as many times as I mention Rule #5 to them... though their behavior has improved dramatically... uhhh, ok), or are generally being told random things in the middle of teaching- today was (in the middle of a summarizing mini-lesson)- "My aunt had a baby." Immediately I smiled sternly and announced quickly, "Well, that'll be a topic for later, won't it?"

Ahhhh. Some days I am so drained when I get home. Tonight I went to McDonald's and was fascinated that Monopoly started up again.

I also downloaded a song from High School Musical 2 because it's basically how my brain feels at the end of the day (my students wanted to play this during exercise this morning- they did- and they seriously looked GLAZED OVER.....)- Here are some of the lyrics. :rolleyes:

A long time ago in a land far away
    lived the pineapple princess, Tiki.
    She was sweet as a peach, in a pineapple way,
    but so sad that she hardly speaky.
    Still, if you listen well,
    you’ll hear her secret wish.

Aloha everybody, my name is Tiki!

I long to free a truly remarkable fish
    My sweet prince.

Humuhumunukunukuapua’a
    Makihiki malahini-who
    Humuhumunukunukuapua’a
    Ooh!
    Hawana wakawakawakaniki pu pu pu.

(Ryan, where’s my ocean!?)

Then the wind went whoosh, and thunder cracked, and mighty Mount Fufu spit.

(Mighty Mount Fufu spit!)

T-T-T-Tiki T-Tiki
    Wanna speaky, speaky, speaky.
    So words I will not mince.

I send my condolences (to whomever) and sense of understanding. :) I think we'll all survive... right? :woot:

26. kermy

kermy Companion

Oct 8, 2007

I really hope so..lol!!!

27. JackieC

JackieC New Member

Nov 5, 2008

FRUSTRATED....NOT Fustrated!! My word.... you're a teacher!!

28. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2008

Heh! It was fun rereading this old thread. I think it was a fantastic year! I learned a lot about teaching fifth, even though I was very stressed out the first few months. I am glad to be back in kinder, but would move up to fifth if I had to. :)