I' moving to MN!!!!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mmswm, Jan 18, 2010.

1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 18, 2010

I'm planning on only dealing with managed properties, so any craigslist ads that don't link to an apt. complex are out of consideration.

2. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 18, 2010

Yay! This sounds exactly what you need right now

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 18, 2010

Best wishes for you. You and your family are in for a major life change. When are you moving? Will you be able to blog the trip for us?

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 18, 2010

I have to report for work on Feb. 8th. As Alice said, that's like 10 minutes from now. I will leave Friday the 29th so I can be there on the 1st.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 18, 2010

Wow, how exciting! Are you sure it's legal for someone from south FL to move to MN? Better check that out. Might need some kind of immunizations or something.....

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 18, 2010

:lol: daisy. It'll be a culture shock for sure.

My uncle just offered to help me move, and my dad agreed to loan him his trailer. My move just got wayyyyyyyyyyy cheaper. I think, though, that my uncles motives are pretty selfish. He's super close to my middle kid (he loves them all, but he just "clicked" with the middle one), and he hasn't seen him in forever and misses him terribly. I think he's offering just so he can spend a week with my kids. Hey, I'll take it. :lol:

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 19, 2010

Sounds like everything's going great for you, congrats!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 19, 2010

(insert here TG beaming)

This uncle, mm - is this your uncle, the "manny"? How's he doing?

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 19, 2010

Yup, tg, that's the one. He's doing okay. He injured himself at work a while back, needed back surgery, and has been on disability since. He won't be able to do much lifting...really none at all, but he says he can drive.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 19, 2010

SO HAPPY for you! Perhaps you'll be able to catch a live taping of Prairie Home Companion sometime?

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 19, 2010

It'll be good for you to have the adult company for the drive, mm. But you already knew that.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 19, 2010

Adult company is a good thing. Being able to take all my stuff without a huge expense is even better.

13. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 19, 2010

Congratulations on your job! I'm sure you will love it in Minnesota.

Mankato is not too far from where I grew up (on a farm near Sioux City, Iowa). That's less than 200 miles away.

Two of my high school teachers (brothers) were from Mankato. They coached wrestling. That's a BIG sport it that area!

The Mayo Clinic and associated hospitals are only an hour and a half from Mankato. Both of my parents have gone there for health issues. You won't find better health services in this country!

Minneapolis/St. Paul is close by. All of the big city things are available there. You can even go to the building where Mary Tyler Moore threw her hat up into the air on her old tv show! (It's the IDS Building.) Also, the airport in Mnpls is terrific!

I went to Concordia College in St. Paul for my first two years of college. My roommate was from western Minnesota. I remember her saying, "Uff da!" quite often. It's a Scandinavian expression used to cover most anything like - Wow!, Ouch!, Darn!