I missed out on a sub job today...

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by mandagap06, Oct 6, 2010.

1. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 6, 2010

Ok so my phone rang this morning at 7:20am. (side note:if you wonder why I am still in bed this will clear it up 2nd job/im in college and don't get to bed till 11-11:30 most nights). I answer it thinking it's like 6 or something since it woke me up. The lady needs a kinder aide for this morning. ME: Yes I can sub today... so you just need me as soon as I can get there? Lady on phone: No, the teachers are usually here by 7:45.(another side note: on a planed sub day I am at the school between 7:15-7:30 at latest) so I think no prob. I tell her I will be there and hang up. When I look at my phone it is 7:20 and I relize I must be up there in bout 20 mins....That means letting my dogs out takes a good 15 mins.,getting lunch aka throwing a frozen meal in lunch bag and my travel cup, finding something to wear, shower, do hair/makeup. My hair just got cut and now I can't really pull it in ponytail and it look normal(really short layers) anyway, it needs washed and fixed. Ladies, I know you understand what I mean!! (so need to grow it back out but thats another topic lol). Anyway so I called the school back and let them know I could not be there until 8:30 or 9 at lastest and if they needed to call another sub they could needless to say they called and found another sub. Do you think it was wrong of them to ask me to be there in 20 mins? I have always took last min calls if I was able to. If its not in time for me to get to the school at normal hrs then they usually say get here as soon as you can. I never had one say I still had to show up by 7:45am. I work my 2nd job with a teacher from that school who teaches kinder(remember thats the grade I was called bout) should I talk to her when I see her? I just thought it was rude that she thought I only needed 20mins to get there and everything. What are your thoughts or ideas subs/teachers too!!!

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 6, 2010

Someone started a thread in this section titled, "Do You Accept Last Minute Assignments?" & I'll say here what I said there (in green below). I think 20 min is not enough time because the dist has no idea what you have to do in the morning, etc. I would have called them back & said, "I thought it was earlier when I was called, but I can't be there that soon. I can be there at ___ time, otherwise, if you want to call someone else, you can.

I'm practically always called by the automated system & even though it may say reporting time is a certian time, if I accept it, they won't call someone else & I'll just get there as soon as I can (w/o endangering myself of course).

The thing about last min jobs is that just because they're last min, doesn't mean you need to rush like a mad person to get ready & drive like a bat out of hell. If I feel like tkg a last min job, which I usually don't, I tk my time getting ready & I get there when I get there. They're the ones in a pinch.

Just remember not to rush & risk getting hurt or in a car accident because the school has no idea what you were doing when you 1st found out about the assignment, so don't be afraid to tk your time! :)

For all the schools know, I just got home from a jog & didn't eat breakfast yet & live over 30 min away. I'm not going to suddenly rush around & risk my safety to be there at 7:30 rather than 8:00 for example. The few times I've done last min jobs, the school was just grateful I was able to do it at such the last minute in which I tell them I got there as soon as I could...which is true. :)

4. wuttadeal

wuttadeal Rookie

Oct 6, 2010

In my district the general rule is either you must arrive within one hour after you receive the sub call, or as soon as you can safely get there, but no longer than one hour.They recognize that you may be in the shower, at the gym, etc. when they call.

Seriously, to expect you there within 20 minutes is unreasonable!
    If I get an automated call when I know school has already started and they will need someone there soon, I usually call the school and let them know when they can expect me.

5. midwesttchr

midwesttchr Rookie

Oct 6, 2010

That's too bad they couldn't be more flexible; perhaps at that school, they are short-staffed to begin with and are unable to have another teacher or other certified staff member to stay in the classroom until you get there. I have gotten subbing calls to come in as late as 8:40, and I won't have showered yet or anything. However, I give them a reasonable time frame (about forty minutes), and I make sure to get there by then. Usually that's just skipping conditioner or whatnot. :) When I arrive at the school, usually a collaborative special ed teacher is filling in. Although I've reasonably rushed to get there, it's worth it to show up 1.5 hours "late" and still get paid a full day!

Also, for the OP, I concur on enjoying sleeping in whenever possible. I have a second job that I don't get home from until 11:30, so if I'm not expected to get up right away in the morning, I don't. I'm called just about everyday anyway or have assignments down ahead of time, so it's rarely an issue these days to be called in so late.

6. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 6, 2010

Well it was an aide I was going to be subbing for not even a teacher!!

7. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 6, 2010

I don't do last minute jobs, but I took one today by accident. For some reason I spaced on the date and thought it was for NEXT Wednesday when I hit accept. Anyway, the report time was 7:15 and I got the call at 7:45, so I couldn't cancel. I just called the school and told them I just got the call and would be there in about an hour. Since it was a half-day job and around the corner from home, I just decided to grin and bear it. We've had rain coming down all morning, so working a full day in first grade might have ended up being maddening.

But, if you take a last minute call, they really need to be flexible. I wouldn't take one if it was a long drive because that just adds to the time it would take to get there. In my case today, another sub was scheduled to take it and she cancelled at the last minute, hence the call to me a half-hour after the reporting time.

8. waffles

waffles Companion

Oct 6, 2010

I had an afternoon just long enough to be a whole day in high school lined up for today starting around 11:30. I got a call around 7 asking if I could do elementary music instead. Knowing that the kids don't get to class until 7:45 anyway so that was fine. Normally the teacher would have had a group of 2nd graders for what I'm assuming is like middle school home room stuff. She worked that out so I wouldn't have them.

First class came in at 8:30. I got there right around 8. And that was fine. Nobody expected me to be there in 15 minutes. Nobody even expected me to be there quicker than an hour.

9. txhotrod

txhotrod Rookie

Oct 6, 2010

Thats just crazy!!! how can you call someone LAST MINUTE and expect them to be there or no job!!!

I had a last min job this morning also....first day in three weeks not already booked and got up at normal time was not fast enough on accepting three jobs on system and the forth one i got at 7:20...school starts at 7:30...i got there at 7:50..10 min. later than I allowed myself but no big deal!!!!

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2010

At our school, the last minute subs are just told to get there as soon as they can and someone covers the class until then. Sometimes there is no one available to cover, so the class is split and sent to other rooms until the sub arrives.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2010

This is what happens at my school as well. Unfortunately, the person who covers is often me or my Special Ed partner. When we are called to cover a 'vacant' class, our Special Ed students aren't getting the support that we provide in their classrooms. Having to wait an extra half hour or 40 minutes for a sub to arrive has a huge impact on our students.

12. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 6, 2010

That is exactly how it normally goes. Today was just weird never had this happen before.