I miss my own classroom

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by PenCelia, Dec 29, 2006.

1. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Dec 29, 2006

I taught in VA for two years and moved back this summer because I didn't like the area. Well I couldn't find a job this summer and have been subbing. The problem? I miss not having my own classroom and kids. I want to do the creative stuff. I have put in for long term subs but it seems that they take people they know over ones they don't. I put my subbing application into three different SAU but only one has used me. Another called me a few times but I think they stopped because I already had sub jobs for the times they called me. I'm not making enough subbing to pay for my health insurance. I need some perm sub jobs. I'm so tempted to move away again for a job but I figured that in order to get a job in the area(which is close to family) I would have to do this. I really miss having my own kids. I actually regret my decision to live VA but since I broke Contract in the middle of summer I can't goback there......

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2006

Chalk this up as a lesson learned the hard way. You made the decision you thought was best for you at the time. You will find something eventually..... at least you had that classroom experience! The next time you have your own classroom you will most certainly be an even better teacher.

4. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Dec 29, 2006

If it makes you feel any better, I'd pick you for my sub! (just had to say that.. we are in SHORT supply here!)

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2006

If you moved back in the summer, you had already missed prime hiring season.

Start NOW to get your stuff together to send out in a month or so. Update both your resume and cover letter so they really sell your skills.

Also, start to network now. HIt the local school concerts and events, and make a point of introducing yourself to the people in charge. If NH is "back home", pay a visit to your old schools just to say hi. Get yourself out there so people are aware of who you are and what you want.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 30, 2006

It is hard up here to find a job. Don't give up keep sending out applications. Also, you may be able to get onto state aid if you are not making much money.