I might be pushing my luck...(The First Six Weeks of School)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Olive.Owl, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

...buuuuuut! I am wanting to read "The First Six Weeks of School" by Paula Denton, and was wondering if anyone here has this book and wouldn't mind loaning, selling, or donating it to me?

This book has wonderful reviews, and I flipped through it at Barnes and Noble and was savoring a lot of good ideas from it; however, I couldn't justify paying $25 for a book I'll read once and take notes on. I have checked Half.Com, Amazon, and eBay, and none of the prices are WOW enough for me to go through a purchase it (especially after everything I have spent already for my classroom).

So, if anyone is wonderful enough to hook me up in some way, I would truly appreciate it! :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  3. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 29, 2011

I totally would, but I don't have it. Have you checked your local public library?

4. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 29, 2011

Definitely try the library. That's how I got a hold of this book, and I borrowed it again, the next summer to refresh. If they don't have it, ask about an interlibrary loan. They will bring a book to your libray from another library. Might take a few days longer, but no hassle when checking out or returning to your own library.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2011

Constitute?:confused:
    Anyway, it's $20 used on Amazon. You could always read it and put online to sell and recoup most of your purchase price.

6. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

Ooops! I forgot to mention that I did check the library first. I actually have three county's library cards, and neither of them carry it :[ Sadly, a lot of the PD books I want to read are not carried by these libraries too. Go figure.

Thanks for your thoughtfulness though! I am hoping someone here has it and wouldn't mind parting with it.

7. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

That's a great idea too!

&WOW. I don't know where I was going with constitute there. Maybe I was going for countenance? I definitely meant *to justify*, haha. I am such a stickler for grammar and informal eloquence, and am appalled by this. Oops!

8. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 29, 2011

I know- I've looked at libraries for several professional books I'm interested in and haven't found them, but occasionally I do find one!

Hope someone has one to offer!

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 29, 2011

Check with your school librarians, your district office, or the professional libraries at schools in your district. Otherwise definitely ask about inter-library loan. That will probably be your best bet. I don't know about where you live, but here our system will borrow a book from anywhere in Alaska and you pay a 2.00 fee for the shipping!

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 29, 2011

By the way I don't see anything wrong with asking here about borrowing a book! This community is very helpful and giving.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2011

I checked on ebay for you and it isn't much cheaper there.
    So, are you on email in your district? You could send a general email to teachers there asking if anyone has the book.

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 29, 2011

Many schools have this in their professional library. You might want to ask your librarian. Good luck!

13. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2011

Well...if you had your hands on it at B&N and they encourage people to sit in their comfy chairs and read...I would get a cup of coffee and do just that. :)

14. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jul 29, 2011

FWIW, I use that book a ton - every year - so I think it's something you will refer to a lot, and be glad to have a copy....

I know that doesn't help if you don't have the money - but it might be worth saving for.

15. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement!

I will definitely have to look into the inter-library loan. I am going to see if it can be located in another library system elsewhere.

&I love the idea of sending out a district e-mail. I just switched counties, so I will check with my new school before being able to send out an e-mail with my new county.

16. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2011

Ask your librarian to get it on inter library loan. They will even if it's not in your library district.

Excuse typing errors I'm posting from phone.

17. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

Jul 29, 2011

I started doing this! But then I realized I had to go home and make dinner for my dog and boyfriend, lol. I was eating the book up and taking a lot of notes, and then realized I would like to digest it in my own home setting. I may have to just go back, grapple for a seat, and commit some time to it and the hobos that pass their time there. I feel awkward reading a lot of a book at B&N, and never thought to do it until today. I always thought it was frowned upon to sit down, read a book, and not pay for it...unless you're at a library.

18. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Jul 30, 2011

Another suggestion...if you live somewhat close to a University, with an Education Department, their libraries usually have a nice selection of books to choose from. :)

19. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 30, 2011

:yeahthat:

20. divey

divey Companion

Jul 30, 2011

I'm not sure if you would find it here, but have you heard of the website Paperbackswap.com? This is a website that allows you to post books you have and don't want/need any longer and trade with others who have done the same. You pay the postage for sending the book, which usually amounts to around $3 to $5 dollars depending on the book. When you've "swapped" a book and it has been received, you get a credit that you can spend on getting books you want. If they don't have this book you are wanting, you can put it on your wish list and as soon as it becomes available you get first choice on it. It may take a while to get it, but it's worth a shot (and is a great way to get and get rid of books)!

21. Olive.Owl

Olive.Owl Rookie

Jul 30, 2011

I am a University of Central Florida alum (GO KNIGHTS!), and assumed that they would have it as well, especially because our education program is one of the tops in the nation. Again, I was let down :[ Unbelievable!

It supposedly is at a regional campus, however (J did some more searching just now!) but their phone system is all messed up. I just spoke with a librarian at the main campus, and she said it could take "weeks" for the book to come in via an inter library loan.

I think I'm just going to stick with reading it at Barnes&Noble and commit half a day to hanging out there, haha.