I might barf

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Exclaimation Po, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 1, 2006

I sort of have an offer. The school district I interviewed with yesterday called today to offer me a position I didn't interview for, but am much better qualified for.

However, they need verification that I am getting a single subject credential in social studies. Unfortunately I just turned that paperwork in today and the credential analyst at the university is out of the office (on vacation!) till next tuesday or something. His boss is out of the office till thursday. I want to get this wrapped up TODAY!!!!!

I don't know what to do. I may have an aneurism.

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2006

They should be able to still hire you. It is summer, vacations are just part of it. I don't see it as a big problem.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 1, 2006

Calm yourself! Did you explain the situation to them? It sounds perfectly reasonable.

Congratulations.

5. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 1, 2006

Don't worry. The district should know that it takes awhile once your turn in your paperwork to get your credential. When I taught in So. Cal. it took almost 2 months for them to process the paperwork and to get it sent back out to me.
    You should be okay.
    Good Luck :)

6. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 1, 2006

Ok. I talked to the school district again. They said that while I'm waiting for the university to process and send my paperwork to the credentialling people, all they need is what the university would be sending. Which is my transcripts, copy of my social science waiver letter, and the single subject application. I have all of that.

So, I have an appointment tomorrow morning to take my paperwork to the school district and sign my contract!

Of course, I have to rent a car since mine is in the body shop!

Wanna hear something funny? All I know is that I'm teaching social studies... they don't know what grade! I confirmed that I'd have a room though!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 1, 2006

Well, then, there you go, kiddo.

8. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 1, 2006

Ok, TeacherGroupie... I've got a job, now what do I do? I know how to teach.... not how to start teaching! What do I do first? Why didn't they cover this in my credential program??? AAAAaaahhhh!

9. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 1, 2006

Congrats on your new job!!!

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 1, 2006

Okay, that's a pretty good start right there...

Seriously: it's perfectly normal to feel this way right now. (I said 'normal', not 'comfortable'. It does not do to confuse the two.) You'll start the same way everyone else does: you'll do some things that work and some things that don't, and you'll make a couple of the sorts of mistakes that will give you really good stories to tell in a couple of years when the scabs finally allow you to look back, and it'll all be good.

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 1, 2006

Oh my goodness I told you something was going to come along! Congratulations!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2006

That's great!!! (Although we were all getting concerned about your medical condition!!!)

Congratulations!!

13. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Aug 1, 2006

Congrats on the job! Find out what grade you will be teaching as soon as possible so you can start planning your rules and procedures to fit that grade. I will be a new teacher this year too and from all the advice given to me the number one most repeated one is to have your rules, procedures, and consequences figured out, teach them, stick to them, and establish them from day one and this will set the tone for a good first year. Not perfect but one that won't send us screaming to the looney bin by December!

14. TESOL_is_fun

TESOL_is_fun Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

congrats on getting a job!! The CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing is currently processing applications that were received last *November.* Yikes! That's getting pretty close to a one year turnaround time!

As for "starting" teaching, that will always be tough for me, no matter how many first days of school I have under my belt. I always look forward to when things feel routine in class. Just gotta jump right in!

15. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 2, 2006

Yeah... I know all about the CTC! Last semester when I was student teaching there was a first year teacher at my school who'd graduated from my program. He had just recently received his credential!

However... several members of my cohort have already received their multiple subject credentials already. Maybe the CTC is just pulling random envelopes out of a pile and processing them!!!

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2006

TESOL, good to hear from you again!

EPo, you crack me up!