I messed up

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rbart, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Jul 18, 2013

So I had an interview on Monday for a lts and it went well. I can't tell anymore unless it is just awful. I had an awful week my dads been in and out of the hospital and others things. So I sent the supervisor and the principal thank you emails. Well today I had an interview and I went to send another thank you email and I noticed that the email I sent Monday to the principal went out from my personal email address not my professional but the email to the supervisor went out from the right one. It's not bad like sexybabe or anything just an old nickname that no one would really get anyway. But it's not professional. I swear I double checked since they are linked and I have been having issues with it but sure enough I messed up either because I can't focus or whatever. My husband got upset and said I need to stop using aol and get a gmail which is fine but its done now. I'm so upset that I did this. In this job market there is no room for mess ups i know.

I really can't hold it together anymore. I feel like I'm must not be good enough and I can't compete. Every interview except 2 so far have been for lts which is fine and all but 1 have been high school and my experience is in elementary. I want to stay positive but it's getting harder and harder. Thanks for listening.

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2013

I think you're being really hard on yourself. It's not a big deal at all, even if the email is a nickname. Everyone at my school has district and personal emails and its not a big deal to interchange them. My principal has 3-4 emails that are all linked. Personally, unless you are interviewing at a really strict private school, it's actually better to show that you have a relaxed and flexible personality style. A teacher who comes across rigid and slick does not relate well with students.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 18, 2013

I don't think it is a big deal unless the email is something horrible. Don't sweat it and good luck!

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2013

I want to add that I've been sitting in on interviews for all subjects this past semester and an email address glitch, as you described, would make zero difference as to whether or not we wanted to hire a candidate. Zero.

We were looking for experience, flexibility, willingness to commit to time beyond the bell, warmth, creative and engaging lesson plans. We did hire a few brand new teachers who made up for lack of experience with maturity, relaxed and engaging demo lesson, confidence, dedication to students and their subject ... Etc.

If we met candidates as described above, we did not care about their email address (within the boundaries of normal). We were more concerned about contacting that person ASAP before they were snatched up by another school.

You are in an extremely competitive subject, but I assure you that your email address is the least of your worries. Your mounting anxiety is more likely to negatively impact your interviews.

6. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 18, 2013

Yeah, unless the email has an explicit/lewd address I would think your fine. If your interview went really well, and your principal was going to offer you the job I seriously doubt that would be your hold up! I know what it feels like to be looking for a job, its not fun and its stressful. Try your best not to get too emotional. :)

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 18, 2013

Same here. In fact, we usually make a decision before the candidate has an opportunity to send a thank you anyway.

8. GermanTeacher89

GermanTeacher89 Rookie

Jul 18, 2013

I agree. I was called about my job offer before I even had a chance to send and e-mail or thank you note. Also, I don't think they'd even notice. When I get e-mails I look at the name of the person which also pops up instead of the e-mail address.

9. Rbart

Rbart Companion

Jul 18, 2013

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it, I've been having a really hard time right now. I guess what's done is done I just have to move on and hope something works out.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2013

I used my regular email address last year, which is my childhood nickname as well. The only reason I changed it this year is because I wanted to keep that separate.
    Don't sweat it!

11. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jul 18, 2013

I don't even notice the email addresses either. Their bolded name is what I click and then I just read the email.

12. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 19, 2013

Definitely not a biggie! :hugs:

13. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Jul 19, 2013

Breathe! We love our jobs and children, but I think sometimes we have to step back and just look at the big picture. Yes, money troubles are always stressful. So are relationships. At the end of the day though we are thankful to be breathing and able to love our family and friends and provide support for them. It will all work out!