I messed up (student)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LupinTheThird, Mar 23, 2012.

1. LupinTheThird

LupinTheThird New Member

Mar 23, 2012

I think I messed up (student)

I'm a student at a CC, currently taking a literature class (around 25 people enrolled) with my twin brother. We both wrote essays that got 100/100 points and I was really stoked because I was pretty sure that he would do better. After class ended, I asked my professor what essay she liked more. She told me that one was better than the other, and to email her later to find out.

Was this a bad question to ask? How would you feel if a twin student asked you that same question?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2012

It sounds like an immature question.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2012

I don't ever tell anyone a grade other than their own.

It seems to me that perhaps you and your twin shouldn't still be taking the same classes, if the "who did better?" question is still coming up.

5. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2012

I just wouldn't answer because grades are confidential.

6. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Mar 23, 2012

Just remember that another student's work, even if it's your twin, is his and his alone. He should be given the same privacy and respect as anyone non-related to you.

7. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

Mar 23, 2012

If you both got 100's then how could one be better than the other? The one that was better should have gotten the 100 and the other one should have gotten the lower grade. JMO!

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2012

I wouldn't answer. I wouldn't have asked either.

ETA: I wouldn't ask out of respect to my sibling. :)

9. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 23, 2012

Maybe you could try to tone down the sibling rivalry in the future and just do your best and be happy with it. Don't followup with an email (the teacher shouldn't be answering anyway) and move on.

10. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Mar 23, 2012

My dad is a twin and he always got tired of being treated as a single unit with his brother. You two are individuals and grown men. What does it matter whose paper was better? I also agree with a previous poster that the question was immature.

11. LupinTheThird

LupinTheThird New Member

Mar 23, 2012

I have to email her anyways about this writing contest that is in April. What can I say to fix this situation?

12. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 23, 2012

I think you're making too big a deal of this. Either don't bring it up or say nevermind, you don't want to know. If she talks about it without prompting, ignore it.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2012

Drop it. Your question was immature. Her answer was unprofessional. Let it go.

14. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Mar 23, 2012

I'm a twin, and I think it is kind of ridiculous to still be comparing yourselves to each other at this age
    :)
    ETA: Sorry, I think that came out a little harsher than intended....but the sentiment is the same :)

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2012

If you both got 100/100 points, can there really be much of a difference? Drop it.

16. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 24, 2012

Good gracious. So long as your brother is fine with your asking (and the teacher has been made aware of this), yours is a perfectly reasonable question. Why not discuss the merits, relative or otherwise, of a student's work? It's part of our job.

As to the twin 100's (heh heh), there is more than one path to glory, thanks be.

MrsC says,"If you both got 100/100 points, can there really be much of a difference?" Of course there can! I'd give a 100 to both King Lear and Hamlet: does the giving of the grade exhaust discussion of the differences between the two? Of course not. It is, as we are fond of saying, about more than the grade.

Ask on, young doppelganger!

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2012

I don't really understand why you want to know which paper is her favorite one between the two. I am a twin as well, and the last thing I ever would have wanted was to be compared, because twins are always being compared to each other anyway. I definitely wouldn't have been actively seeking the comparison. In my opinion, you should just be happy with your 100% and move on.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2012

Discussing the merits of the OP's work is acceptable. Comparing it to another student's (even if it is her twin with his permission) is unprofessional on the instructor's part.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2012

Right.

The question wasn't "How can I improve my work?"

It was "Who did a better job, another student or me???" It's unprofessional for the professor to discuss any other studen'ts work.

20. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 25, 2012

I've never had the twin thing happen, but I have - though only a few times over 30 years - had a pair of students arrive each with an essay test in hand asking why Billy got 26 out of 30, while Bob only got 18.

It's a fair question, one which I ought to be able to answer, so I do. (The allegedly forbidden question "Who did a better job?" is unavoidable in the conversation, unless you like very large elephants hanging about.) I've never had a problem of any kind operating this way.

Part of the difference here might be our "democratic school" culture. Students ask all sorts of things here, and expect an answer. They expect to understand why things are as they are, because they have a very significant role in saying how things are. No, this does not mean that they have a direct say in grades, but they do feel entitled to an explanation of them. I think they're right.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2012

Sometime the proper answer is "I can't discuss that with you. It would be unprofessional. I would be willing to discuss your work with you, though."

22. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 25, 2012

Dear czacza,

When in Rome, do as the (professional) Romans do.

TeachOn, Rome

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2012

The OP titled this thread 'I messed up'...leading one to think that she is rethinking her actions. Since that's where she is, the advice to let it go is valid. Her question might be acceptable to her professor, but generally won't be to most...outside of your 'Roman' neighborhood of course.:rolleyes:

24. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 25, 2012

Yes. I'm sure you're right. I seem to be doomed to provide an alternate take on everything: just my role, I guess. It's been that way since I was a little boy. I sincerely thank you for your patience. :)