I may have to side with the parent on this one

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Brendan, May 5, 2009.

1. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 5, 2009

As many of you know I am the department chair for both the middle and high school. Anyways, a student in a US I class had his Homework from his Law class (elective) confiscated and was given a zero for doing so. He was not copying the assignment just simply doing it during time in which the teacher allowed them to work on homework. My problem is that I share the room with her and she DID not specify they had to be completing US I homework. The parent is outraged and I think he has a right to be, as the teacher has written nowhere in her syllabus that this is against the rules nor did she warn him to put the assignment away. Thoughts?

3. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 5, 2009

If she did not say you may only work on my homework then it seems unreasonable.

4. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

May 5, 2009

Agree....I'd be upset if my child was doing school work at school and it was confiscated because it was done during a differnt class time.
    Especially since the teacher didn't tell them they couldn't do it then.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 6, 2009

yep, makes no sense.

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 6, 2009

I agree with you; if she never said to work on her class's homework than the student doing the other homework doesn't seem wrong. If she had a problem with it she should have said when she realized what the student was doing that he had to put the law homework away and work the homework for her class, not take it away.

7. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

May 6, 2009

I agree with you and the parent.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 6, 2009

Agreed!

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 6, 2009

I agree...as a parent I'd be after somebody's head under these circumstances.

10. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

May 6, 2009

There's no shame in occasionally siding with the parent, you know. At least some infitesimal percentage of the time, they may actually have a point.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 6, 2009

The smart kid would do whichever assignment required the heavier textbook, to avoid having to bring it home.

Also, just out of curiosity: Why on EARTH was a high school class given time to do the homework with something like 20 days of school left??? Was there nothing left to teach????

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 6, 2009

I agree - the lack of warning is the problem that I see here.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 6, 2009

I agree completely.

14. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 6, 2009

Under these details I agree with the parent :) Just wondering does the child have a history of trying to complete work in the class? If there is some sort of history, then I would think the child would know better.

15. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

May 8, 2009

I'm going to disagree. When you're in my room, you do my work. That's how it was when I was in high school, and that's how I always expect it to be. If you want to work on something else, you need to ask the teacher's permission. From bell to bell, you're in my class for my work.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 8, 2009

bluelight-I would bet though that the students in your room know that. The students in this teacher's classroom might not have known that as a rule in her/his room.

17. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

May 8, 2009

I agree with the parent. Just my :2cents:

18. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

May 8, 2009

If the student is nailing your class with an A and you give time to do classwork/homework, what is the benefit of the student continuing to work on skills they have mastered when they need to work on skills they have not mastered in other classes???

If they've nailed my classwork and they're not being disruptive, I am very tolerant of other stuff.

I know this will be contreversial, but.... I have a junior in my 1st block Algebra II class who is brilliant. This is a class of 31 students. He gets the lesson with mastery in 30 minutes or less and then works on other stuff or lays his head down.

The students in the class have the same response as I do.....How the heck does he do that??? 98+ average and sleeps through half the classes. My response is the same to him as it is to those who have to work HARD to get it. I don't care when or how you get it, but you MUST get it and you must show me you get it through test/quiz grades.

My bottom line is simple, you have to do 2 things in my class to succeed (1) get it and clearly demonstrate you get it and (2) not disrupt the learning of others.