I made myself get work done so now I'm taking a break... and a question.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by miss-m, Jan 16, 2018.

1. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 16, 2018

This master's program might actually kill me, but I'm learning so much! (Plus I got rid of all my social media so I have to post here about it instead!)

Anyway, I just finished all but one of my articles for this week plus this week's discussion post, and I'm about to start a new book: A Wrinkle in Time.
    I've never read it before, but I figured now's a good time since the movie's about to come out.

What's everyone reading right now?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2018

The Magic Misfits (written by Neil Patrick Harris...will turn it over to my class after I finish!)...then if I can get my hands on it (about 2/3 of my class wants to read it), The Name of this Book is Secret. Or Holes. Or who knows...maybe I'll read a book that one of my kiddos who hasn't read as much this year so we can motivate each other. :)

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 16, 2018

I hate reading

5. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 16, 2018

O...Kay...?

MetalTeacher and mathmagic like this.
  6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2018

I just finished The Nightingale--great read.

ssgirl11 likes this.
  7. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 17, 2018

I'm finishing up Tower of Dawn.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 17, 2018

I just finished Run, Hide, Repeat by Pauline Dakin. Dakin was at our local bookstore doing a reading a few weeks ago and the summary of her book piqued my interest.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 17, 2018

That makes me sad.

MetalTeacher likes this.
  10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 17, 2018

I am starting to read (again) The Handmaid's Tale. I started it over the summer but got busy and had to bring it back to the library. I have my own copy now so I an read it whenever I want. I also want to start the 2nd book in the Outlander series during my mid-winter break.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 17, 2018

I've never read A Wrinkle in Time. I'm not sure I'd go see the movie on my own but I'd take my nephew if he wants to see it. I'm not sure if he's read it. What grade level is the book?

12. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 17, 2018

I’m loving it so far. I had to force myself to put it down last night at 10:00. It’s got a lot of older/higher level vocabulary, so maybe 5th or 6th to middle school? The main characters are 12-ish and 14.

13. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jan 17, 2018

I don't really hate reading, I just don't do enough of it.
    My main purpose of writing that actually was to try and hopefully a highlight a double-standard. I didn't get quite as much hate as I wanted to though. If I waited longer, I may have.

You see, it is chic or hip to say "I am bad at math" or "I hate math". Everyone accepts it, chuckles about it, and moves on. No one would question it. If someone dare do that with reading though, it is met with more bewilderment.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  14. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 17, 2018

To what end though? This isn't a thread trying to prove a point, I'm just curious what everyone's reading. Not everything needs to be a cause to fight. I mean... you're not wrong, but I feel like this really isn't the context for that discussion and it wasn't meant to be. It just comes across as antagonistic and unnecessary.

mathmagic likes this.
  15. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2018

"According to AR" it's around a 4th-5th grade reading level. Don't let that deter him at all -- just have him try it out and see if he likes it! It was a favorite for me as a kid, and there's an entire series that he can read if he enjoys it.

miss-m likes this.
  16. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 17, 2018

My gosh, I love a Wrinkle in Time. Plus the fact every other book that woman wrote can be six degree'd to that book. They've attempted movies before... I hope it works this time.

I am currently reading the YA fantasy The Crimson Skew and an Amish romance book because that is my guilty pleasure.

17. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 17, 2018

The book sucked me in, and I've gotten to a few scenes that are referenced in the movie trailer... and I can already tell they took some creative liberties with it. Hopefully the movie still works, but it seems like it's going to be only roughly based on the book.

18. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 17, 2018

I haven't read Handmaid's Tale but the series on Hulu?/Netflix? is freaking amazing and disturbing.

miss-m likes this.
  19. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 17, 2018

Disturbing in what way? I’ve been eyeing this series but don’t really know anything about it.

20. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 17, 2018

If you read the Wikipedia synopsis I'm sure you'd see why. Not sure if it's appropriate to describe on this forum.

21. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Jan 17, 2018

Oathbringer, the third book in the Stormlight Archives series. If you're a fantasy fan and haven't read these books you're seriously missing out.

22. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Jan 18, 2018

I watched the first few episodes and it didn't catch my interest. I love the book however. I think the series is well-done, and it sticks to the book, I just didn't like it.

23. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 18, 2018

I'm reading City of Ember again because one of my classes is starting it. I want to read ahead of them just to remind myself of the whole story. I really liked Orbiting Jupiter and Paper Things.

I'm also reading The Jakarta Pandemic. I always have a grown-up book that I read during independent reading time with my kids.

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 19, 2018

He might have already read it but I haven't talked to him since Christmas and didn't think to ask (I didn't know the movie was coming out). He likes Percy Jackson books and I got him some Lemony Snicket books for Christmas.

25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 19, 2018

A Wrinkle in Time was my favorite book when I was a child. I read every book in the series - and everything else Madeline L'Engle wrote. I read two to three books a week now. Semi-retirement is wonderful.

miss-m likes this.
  26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 28, 2018

I'll be honest, I'm not as much of a reader as I'd like to be. I'm much more of a TV/movie person. Plus, I was in school for so long in my life that I always had texts to read/study, so I had no time for fun reading.

I bought a couple of suspense genre books that I still have to start. I bought Girl on the Train way before the movie came out and still never got past the first several pages to this day. I lent the book to my cousin who loves to read, so she told me all about it. I also bought The Stranger by Harlan Coben that I should start reading.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 30, 2018

Has anyone read A Man Called Ove? It's not the kind of book I usually read but it was chosen as a group book for my online book club so I read it. It was amazing!
    A few suspense books I want to read soon are The Woman in the Window and The Girl in the Ice.

28. Topsy

Topsy Rookie

Jan 31, 2018

I just finished the first Harry Potter -- The Secret of the Sorcerer's Stone, after years of avoiding it. I am starting Ronald Takaki's "A Different Mirror: A Young Person's Guide to Multicultural America."

29. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 31, 2018

Why have you been avoiding Harry Potter?? I'm jealous if this is your first time reading it - I'd give anything to be able to read the series again for the first time... but it's too well ingrained in my memory now for that to ever happen haha. I think I've read the series every year since 7th or 8th grade... I'm going on 15 times through now. (It's my favorite series... can you tell?)

30. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 31, 2018

I read at least two books per week; my favorite thing to do.

I just finished The Memory Man by Baldacci, and am re-reading A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson.
    Eagerly awaiting Elizabeth George’s new book, due out this spring.

31. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Jan 31, 2018

I've reread the first three so many times that you can actually see through the binding in the middle.

miss-m likes this.
  32. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 31, 2018

That’s amazing.

I take really good care of my books, but you can tell my HP books are well loved. They’re paperback so the covers are wrinkled and torn in a few places.

Thankfully I have backup copies... but I still only read my original paperbacks because my other sets are too pretty to use.

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2018

I just finished First They Killed My Father by by Loung Ung--a very powerful memoir!
    I'm halfway through The Wife Between Us --the psychological thriller my book club is reading.

34. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 1, 2018

I can't bring myself to reread books. There are just too many books that I want to read.

35. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Feb 1, 2018

I recently read Avi's new book, The Player King. I was so impressed with his writing style that I then read the Crispin series. I'm getting ready to search the library today for my next book; I'm thinking of The Boat People by Sharon Bala. Is anyone else addicted to BookPage magazine? Today's Feb. 1, so the new edition should be available in my library. (It's free; it's in our library and the local bookstore).

36. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 1, 2018

I think I have seen BookPage at the library. I'll have to take a look next time I'm there. I'm there at least twice a week and at least 3 library clerks know me by name, and they're always glad I came! (It's like the Book Nerd's Cheers LOL).

Obadiah likes this.
  37. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 1, 2018

I moved onto reading one of the "Who Was/What is/etc..." nonfiction texts from my classroom library to hopefully promote them reading more nonfiction texts and also actively think about how I'm processing the information as I teach about reading informational texts.

My wife was talking about that author the other day -- I might have to read a book by him at some point!

Obadiah likes this.
  38. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Feb 1, 2018

Yeah I've reread them a LOT. Like I haven't even been rough with them, I was just so obsessed with the series growing up that I'm sure the first three have been reread 30+ times each. The next two are definitely in the double digits as well.

39. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2018

I finished Station Eleven and the Three-Body Problem not long ago. I'm rereading the YA House of Night vampire series right now.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  40. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Feb 1, 2018

I try to balance my rereads with new books. So I really only reread a few books/series that I just really love. But I’m also reading a couple “new” books for the first time too. Currently I’m reading The Sorcerors Stone in Spanish, so that’s been a learning experience. But I’m also reading “celebration of discipline” and a lot of teaching articles for class.

41. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Feb 2, 2018

the Handmaid’s Tale is EXCELLENT! I had to write a 10 page analysis of it in college and enjoyed every second of it :)