I love when they act like kids sometimes

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by MsMar, Apr 18, 2010.

1. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 18, 2010

Sometimes my high school students crack me up when they have the excitement of a little kid. On Friday we were working on a project and one girl comes over to me to show it to me and first she's hiding it behind her back and she stats saying "Are you ready to see it? You're gonna love it, so you gotta be ready! I can't show it if you;re not ready for something amazing." and then after a minute or so of this (with me playing along) she finally shows it to me, and it was quite cute. It was just so fun to see her excitement shown in what reminded me of a little girl who was excited about her work. As challenging as they can be, they really are just kids and I just love when that comes through.

Anyone else have times when their teen students remind you that although they're in big bodies, they are still children and have that excitement?

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 18, 2010

I see it in my skiers all the time. What was it that she showed you?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2010

My frosh were given their projects last week. Each was assigned a career, and given a W-2 form. They need to reseach how math is used in their career, design a business card, and complete a 1040EZ tax form.

One of the girls came to see me after school, asking if, by any chance, the "Fashion Designer" career was still available. (Each kid got a different one.) It was and she practically jumped with glee.

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 18, 2010

The project was to design a meal (main course or dessert) that was visually appealing. We've been talking about how color affects both the way food tastes, but also how it mentally affects the way it tastes (like people will think bright red juice is sweeter than paler juice even if they actually have the same amount of sweetness). So she decided to draw a very elaborate wedding style cake with each tier showing off a different pattern and colored design.

Alice, glad your girl got her first choice!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2010

Oh, and my sophs have to design a room-- do a scale drawing, get paint samples, and so on. Some of the kids were SO excited. One is designing a music studio, one of the guys a home gym-- I forget the rest.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 18, 2010

I'm so jealous we did not do that in my math classes.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2010

Which one? The tax form or the room?

9. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Apr 18, 2010

We did a lab where we put goldfish into a state of torpor. One girl thought she killed her goldfish. I hear my name screeched out with an "I've killed it!" just like a kid. They were also equally amazed as I brought it "back to life"

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 18, 2010

What's funny is when I did my practicum as an undergrad years ago, I was terrified of middle school kids and thought they were boring. Now that I'm older, have growing kids of my own and more experience in the classroom, I find them to be funny and just oversized goofy kindergarten students who can talk a lot.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2010

I've made gingerbread houses (okay, graham cracker houses) and coloured eggs with grade 8 students. They really are just little kids in big, clumsy bodies.

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 18, 2010

:lol::lol: My youngest are freshmen, but I can still relate to this!

13. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Apr 19, 2010

I was doing observations at a high school and they had a festival during lunch with a couple of jumpy houses in the courtyard. My 5 year old daughter digs jumpy houses and we've had them at her last couple of birthdays. I always thought jumpy houses were for really little kids (lower elementary). Well, here I see 14, 15, and 16 year olds hopping up and down, yelling and screaming like 5-6 year olds, and having a blast.

Yep, teens are just little kids in bigger bodies at times.

14. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 20, 2010

My 16 year old son and his girlfriend took my 7 year old to the town Easter egg hunt this year. They stopped on the way home so that his girlfriend could get all the stuff to dye eggs. Then she and my 7 year old destroyed my mom's kitchen with my mom right in the middle. Later that night the older kids hid eggs for the two smaller kids. Then the other way around. I think that the older kids had more fun.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2010

Our grade 7 and 8s coloured eggs just before Easter--almost half the class had never done it before and many asked it they could take some of the dye home so that they could do more.

16. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 20, 2010

My mom called laughing. My son's girlfriend told her "You don't have to boil the eggs, we won't care." My mom had to explain to her that it was so that we didn't have any messes. Thank God my mom boiled them or my living room would have been destroyed. They fought over the real eggs (the teenagers).

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 20, 2010

I had a 9th grade student turn in a project labeled "Jane's best project ever". She was practically jumping over other students to turn it in. I still have that project.

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 20, 2010

Awww...

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 20, 2010

On the subject of Easter eggs... My husband had never done this tradition before until he met me. It's quite comical. First, he was excited to try egg hunting. Secondly, I told him we would exchange baskets. I thought I was clear as to what I like in mine, etc. and gave examples (at his request). Umm... apparently my dear husband didn't realize that things go on TOP of the fake grass. He hid everything under/inside it. This meant he unwrapped the box of sugar coated bunny marshmellows and stuffed them in the grass. This was a gooey mess.

Now I can't convince him that older kids still like them. My mom tells a story that one year she sold nice ones at a craft fair. Most of the adults buying it was for other adults such as their grown children.

Don't lie, how many of you still like or wish you got stocking stuffers. :)

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 20, 2010

My youngest are older than that, and never mind about the oldest... but when it comes to outgrowing such enthusiasm, I feel sorry for people who do.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2010

Up until about 5 or 6 years ago, my mom still filled stockings for my sister and I. Growing up, the contents of our stockings was identical, and we had the timing down to a science so that we opened everything at the same time. I hate that she stopped that tradition--I'd give up a "big" gift to just have a stocking.