I love my cooperating teacher, but...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Sep 2, 2007.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 2, 2007

the other day, while teaching language development, she taught our 3rd graders all about how to use "aposofees." You know, you use aposofees to show possesion or contractions! I promise you, I am spelling it just as she said it. I know, because she said it at least 30 times, many of which she had the kids repeat out loud! Every time she would say it, it would grate on my ears. Now, she IS my cooperating teacher, so as the Student Teacher, I feel as if I have NO basis on which to mention this to her. However, what am I supposed to do when the kids are being taught something horrendously (or hilariously) wrong?

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2007

Hmmm... that's a bit sticky. I might try to sneak it into a conversation... like saying something to the effect of, "What other activities will you be doing with apostrophes?"

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 3, 2007

Yes, I'd contribute a little quip like trayums that isn't offensive, yet pronounces it correctly in the quip. I'd maybe go for, "May I show a quick rule on using apostrophes?"

5. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 3, 2007

When I was student teaching I had a similar experience. My cooperating teacher was from the deep South and during spelling practice she would mispronounce words that made it nearly impossible for 2nd graders to listen and then write the word correctly. She put the ou sound on everything and kids were getting lots of words wrong on spelling tests. I said nothing. :eek: Oh I remember she would also say to the kids "I will be peruving the room to check your work" he he. I had to keep from giggling at her perusal of the room boo boo.

6. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2007

:lol::lol::toofunny::toofunny:

7. Paula

Paula Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

I am new to my school and I have heard most everyone say Liberry and the principal too! Another one I heard her say was irregardless

I have my own class, so at least I can teach them the right pronunciations!

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2007

Why don't you ask to make a chart showing the apostrophe rules--then you can go over it with the class.

9. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 3, 2007

omg that is hysterical. how you kept from laughing I don't know. Because I would have been rofl.

Anyway - is it possible that she has a speech impediment? Maybe she has a hard time with hard "tr" sounds. See if she can say that sound in some other sneaky way....;)

10. heartofateacher

heartofateacher Companion

Sep 3, 2007

How funny! It would drive me nuts though because that is a pet peeve of mine. My husband says I should have been a copy editor instead of a teacher because I'm always looking for other people's mistakes, even when I'm reading for fun. I don't necessarily look for them, I just find them! :D But I would have to say something in a subtle way. If I didn't, I'd eventually burst out laughing and that wouldn't go over too well. :) Subtlety is the key! hehehe APOSOPHEES...HILARIOUS!!!

Tina

11. Miss Steele

Miss Steele Companion

Sep 3, 2007

My assistant teacher was reading a book to my students one day while I was doing something else. I wasn't listening until I heard her start talking about the arthur and the illustrator. She also says "ain't," uses double negatives, and a lot of other words that get on my nerves. I am always talking about using correct grammar, setting a good example for the students, and I'm always trying to find a way to bring the word "author" into a conversation as a way to subtly correct her. I have a problem with confronting her on it because she is older than me and has worked there longer. Anyway, that's not really the point of this! The point is - she says arthur!