I Love Looping!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Aug 28, 2013.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 28, 2013

Today was our first day of school and my kids just walked right in and sat down waiting for their instructions. They know where I expect them to line up, where to put their papers...we actually just jumped right in and got some great classroom community activities done today. Awesome way to start the year! ;)

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 28, 2013

I'm only on day 3, but I think it's the greatest decision EVER. My kids fell right back into the swing of things....only they're a taller and more mature version of themselves. I'm so happy.

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2013

Yep, it rocks.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 28, 2013

Yay! I looped last year so this year I have an all new group of kiddos. I really miss the bunch I looped with. After having them two years, I was amazed at their progress. I hope you have a great year!

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2013

Awesome. :)

Did all kindergarten teachers loop to first? Just asking out of curiosity because all schools I've been in are organized by grade level, so I was thinking it would throw the halls off if not everyone looped.

7. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 28, 2013

I looped one time with some of my kids between 4th and 5th and I did see lots of pluses. The biggest one was getting to know them more.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2013

Wow! I would love to loop. You are so lucky. It sounds like the year is already off to a great start.

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 28, 2013

:thumb: I'm hoping to loop next year - I'm supposed to have an awesome group this year and it sounds like the perfect class to have for 2 years.

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2013

My whole school loops. I was actually really sad because I moved to my new position mid-loop and had to leave my class. They were the best class I've had in my whole career, so I was really looking forward to looping with them!

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 29, 2013

I'm jealous! I had my best group ever last year and would have loved to loop!

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 29, 2013

No-I actually think I may be the only one in the school. They talked about doing it at one point but some of the teachers didn't want to. I think there definitely would have been benefits to keeping the teams intact.

Tasha-Happy Birthday!

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2013

In a school as large as ours-- and in high school in general I guess-- looping is incredibly rare.

But I did have one particular group of kids 3 years in a row. They were the advanced kids, the ones who tested into a course ahead of most of their classmates.

The first day of year 2, I started with "same seats" and gave them an abbreviated version of my usual 10 minute spiel before starting the syllabus.

The first day of year 3, I started with "OK, as I was saying in June...."

We had a wonderful time together.

14. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 29, 2013

I think this is one of those personal flavor type things.

For me, I would never loop.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 29, 2013

Since I have a small class (6 students at most) I usually have the same students for 2-3 years. If I get new students it's only one at a time so it's great. September is never too stressful since we follow the same routines we did in summer school and also the last school year. The one new student pretty much follows what everyone else already knows after a week.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2013

Have a great year, Kinder!

17. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2013

Does the entire school loop year after year and the top grade moves back to kindergarten? Or do they loop say first to second and then first again?

18. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2013

Me too!

ETA: In fact, with the group I knew was coming, I tried to talk the 4th grade teacher into it--how beneficial it would be for him to have two years with the new group, etc. but he wasn't buying it... ;)

19. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 29, 2013

Well, I really hope I get a great group of kids this year because I'm pretty sure I'll be looping with them next year. Part of me is glad I didn't loop this year. I want to change a lot of procedural things and that might be tough with a group used to the old routine.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2013

(The thread title was up on one of my iPad's tabs...I thought it said Love Pooping. Just sharing. Haha.)

21. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Aug 29, 2013

I've only been able to loop twice, but it was the most satisfying experience I've ever had in teaching. The problem is to find someone else on staff who also wants to change grade levels each year. I'd love to loop with this current class, but no one else at my school wants to change grades.

22. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 29, 2013

I think I would love it if I could teach the same grade. So, I would loop from 2nd grade to 2nd grade with my same group of 2nd graders. So, that wouldn't really work. :lol:

I've heard that looping is awesome, but I just hate switching grades so much!

Glad you had a great start to your year!

23. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 29, 2013

I guess there just isn't too big of a difference in the skills I teach in both grades. Just a more advanced version.

I do loathe the grading process (in Kinder everything is developmental-mastery or non-mastery of the skill)-coming up with fair assessments, what to count, how much to count them. Last time I didn't think I really got the hang of that until about March. So I'm hoping I'll definitely be better this time around. ;)

24. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2013

The entire school loops like your second example. It's grouped K/1, 2/3, and 4/5. So all of the teachers in each grade level move up with their classes. Then the next year they go back to the lower grade and get a new group of kids.