I love kindergarten!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by JamieLeigh, Jan 31, 2010.

1. JamieLeigh

JamieLeigh Rookie

Jan 31, 2010

This is my first year teaching, and it hasn't been the easiest year. At the beginning of the year, I had two students with serious behavior issues. After trying about everything I could think of, my principal could think of and anything else, they continued to be a major problem. My principal finally decided to move them to other classes, separating them (one of the biggest problems) and helping the rest of my class settle down (they were feeding off these two kids). I was excited to teach kindergarten when I took the job, but thought I still may enjoy an upper grade more. During the first half of the year, I even thought to myself that I'd want to teach ANY grade besides K next year. However, since those students have been moved, I've found that I absolutely love kindergarten! I love seeing how much each child has changed and grown since the beginning of the year. I love the funny little things they say and do ALL the time, the fact that the tiniest things excite and surprise them, the hugs, the love that they show me and one another, and the all-around difference in personalities. Even my students who give me the most trouble, I find I miss when I am away from them for a while. I have no children of my own, but almost feel as close to my students as if they were my own. My job was an add-on at the school I am at, so I may not get it back next year, but hopefully I can teach K again next year, whether here or elsewhere. Everyone says Kindergarten is completely different than any other grade, and I understand them now. It is the hardest thing I've ever done, but the most rewarding. I know I and many others come on this board to seek advice, vent, etc., but I just wanted to say how much I love this age group and say thanks to all those who post here and give me advice, reassurance, laughs, etc. :)

3. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 31, 2010

You are right - K is the most unique (and awesome) grade there is. :D

4. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2010

This is my 3rd year teaching Kindergarten and I absolutely LOVE it, too! I may be moved to 1st grade next year because of numbers and I would take it because I love my school, and wouldn't want to transfer just for K. But if I could have my way I would teach Kindergarten forever! :D

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 1, 2010

It is completely different-but in a good way! Unless you've taught it I think it's hard to understand. I love it too, wouldn't want to teach any other grade!

6. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Feb 5, 2010

I have taught no other grade for 33 years. So many people ask me why I don't "move up"? Are they kidding? WHY?????

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Feb 5, 2010

I've moved up and down and all around, and it is the little kids that I love. I am actually a PreK teacher, and I don't even want to move up to K, although I did teach K for a couple of years....I just love this age. I love how you can really mold them, how excited they are to learn and to please you, and how real they are. Untainted..