I Love Donorschoose!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Jul 19, 2012.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 19, 2012

2 proposals funded today!!!! Thank you Starbucks! :thumb: I had a proposal for art supplies and one for books for our student book club that literally had days left before they were going to be taken off. Almost $700 worth of materials that will be coming in September--so excited! :D

If you are in need of any kinds of supplies-technology (got some cool Smartboard software last year), books, workstations materials, art supplies--consider posting a request. It takes 15 minutes if you know what you want to ask for.

My 2 suggestions would be: 1) Come up with a catchy title-use rhyme or alliteration, make it something fun. 2) Stay under $300 when you shop-it's easier to get it fulfilled. They don't always get funded-but it's definitely worth the try.

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 19, 2012

Congratulations!!!! I've had a few projects funded for books, iPods and supplies, and you're right, it's really easy. :)

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2012

AWESOME! Congratulations!!! And Thanks for the tips.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2012

Congratulations!

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2012

I so wish we had something like that here. Congrats! That's so exciting. :)

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 19, 2012

Congrats!

I am afraid to use Donors Choose again. I posted 2 projects about 3 years ago, and neither were funded, so I don't have many points left. Both of them were for less than $300. I thought I had catchy titles and great descriptions, too. I figure my next project needs to be funded, or my Donors Choose days are over!

I can't really think of anything that I would really like right now...I spend tons of my own money on classroom materials, but it isn't really anything that I can group together into a project...It's just "stuff."

What kind of smartboard resources did you ask for? I could use a new CD player for my listening center...

8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 20, 2012

I love them so much! And they did not holler at me when I was sooo late with my thank you letters. :whistle:

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 20, 2012

We got the calendar math, stories they could follow along with in math and phonics/rhyming games they could play by moving the pieces to match for workstations. They were all from Lakeshore.

I do a student book club where we get a list of books from the district-if I buy the books myself (even from Amazon/used when I can) it comes to like $800-so every year when I get that list I post a proposal-it at least helps-they have that AKJ books company where you can request certain titles. :)

Sometimes it's in the timing too. People seem to be more generous in December around the holidays and now thinking about us now when school is getting ready to start back up. I've had projects too that just ended up getting archived. One of our new teachers was disappointed hers didn't get funded either.

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 20, 2012

kly in

I also love them. My first two projects - classroom dictionaries, books for my classroom library & class subscriptions to Weekly Reader & Time for Kids - were funded, but my mom died, and my long-term sub didn't get one of my thank-you packages turned in (in fact, lost it), and I had some projects go unfunded, so now I have no points & no way to earn any. Waaaaahhh!:(

11. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 20, 2012

I've only posted one project before and it was only funded because I involved my parents and friends. I don't know how successful I would be otherwise.

But congrats, kindercowgirl:)

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 20, 2012

I have one posted and haven't gotten any donations yet, but I put it on my classroom "needs" page of my school web page along with my usual stuff - dry erase markers, paper towels, etc.. I'm hoping if I bring it up at parent orientation maybe some parents will donate or ask their workplaces to support it. We have a pretty involved community, so I'm hoping it works!

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 20, 2012

PW, did you contact Donor's Choose and let them know what happened. I bet if you did, they would work with you.

Tasha, don't be afraid to use that promote button on your page to send emails to friends and family. If you have a Facebook page, put it on there, too. A lot of my friends really didn't know I *needed* things like books, etc. for my classroom, so when I sent them the email, they responded. I know in my heart that 2 of my projects were funded mostly by my friends with bigger disposable incomes, although they did it anonymously.

My family was also happy to help. As we get older getting each other birthday and holiday presents sometimes seems silly, but if I ask for some help with a Donor's Choose project, well, that's a cool gift! A lot of my extended family donated $5 or $10, and it really added up!

14. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 20, 2012

There should be a way to earn points. If you do one big project, you're basically out. I wish I could volunteer for them or something. You need 6 points for big stuff like trips and speakers.

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 20, 2012

I emailed DonorsChoose, and they responded by telling me that nothing was going to happen until I submitted the Thank You package that my LT Sub lost. How am I supposed to do this??? I don't even have all those kids anymore! We have a very transient population at my school, and even those who will still attend my school will be in 3rd grade by now! Honestly, I didn't even know the Thank You package was missing until I tried to set up a new project and found no points. Ugh. I'm gonna email them again.

16. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 20, 2012

Send thank you notes from your new group of students! They are using the materials, too!

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2012

Congrats kinder!! The only thing I really want is a smartboard, and I don't see raising the $5,043 for it (yup...exact quote from my tech guy). But I'm excited for those who have had things funded!

18. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 20, 2012

Congratulations Kinder!

19. Kinderfriend

Kinderfriend Rookie

Jul 21, 2012

I kindercowgirl for your post . You inspired me to post a request to Donors Choose. I have been a member for several years, but never completed a proposal. I was reminded, that their is nothing wrong with asking.
    You have to be in it to ...
    Thank you.

20. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 21, 2012

I took a big hit on my punctuality because of a lost package. I posted the pictures and did my letter, but the thank you cards from my kids got lost in the mail. It was at the end of the year and I didn't see a solution. I emailed them and explained it to them. They removed the block, but like I said, I took a hit. Now I have the kids make twice as many cards and store the extras until I know the package has been received.

21. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 21, 2012

bandnerdtx - I may have to do that - I'll see what the new email brings... I sent it Friday.

ChristieF - that's a great idea!

22. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2012

Congrats. Will have to try there. I actually GOT a nice amount funded through adopt-a-classroom but their shopping part is soooo clunky that I still haven't managed to choose what I want. I didn't realize it would be so limiting :(

23. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 22, 2012

I had a bad experience with them too. They do have much more limited choices when it comes to shopping.

With me they sent me something that was incomplete (it was supposed to be tree blocks with math task cards-they just sent the cards). I called several times, they kept saying they'd fix it and then I got an e-mail saying the product was discontinued. I called several times to see what they were going to do to replace it and never got someone willing to resolve it. So I feel like my donor got ripped off a little bit.