I LOST THE CLASS PET!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cutNglue, Mar 30, 2008.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 30, 2008

ACCKKKKK!!! What a way to spend my last day of spring break. I was wanting to go to bed early because I have a long day tomorrow complete with a night course. Oh no! That was not meant to be. I was cleaning the rat's cages and I let him roam and play. Normally he comes to me, makes some sort of movement or SOMETHING to let me know he is there. He's not hard to catch. That has me worried that he slipped under the door. Surely a big fat HUGE rat can't slip under the door via a 1 inch gap. I left food and water in his cages on the floor but now I worry that my 4 year old will come barging in tonight while I sleep and I won't hear him and he'll leave the door wide open. I also worry that the cat is not out of the house like my son insists. The biggest worry is HE IS NOT IN THIS ROOM.

I spoil this rat to death. I don't want to lose him but worse yet, what do I tell a classroom of FIRST GRADERS?!!

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 30, 2008

I know mice can fit through the smallest of openings. I am not too sure about rats... I hope you find him!

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 30, 2008

ACK!!! I have to idea what to tell you but I can give you a big hug. Does that make you feel any better?

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 30, 2008

He may show up again. Our class gerbil escaped one weekend and we found him again later.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 30, 2008

A hug would help except that I'm pretty overwhelmed in general. I'm drowning in appts and errands. My husband is on his way to Germany for 6 weeks. I have 2 preteen birthdays to plan for (boys) in 2 weeks. College courses tend to get heavier at the end. My boss wants me to tell my teacher how to do her job. Last but not least, I don't sleep. ACCKKKK!!!

Class Pet....come backkkk!!!

I told my husband everything is murphy's law when he leaves. LITERALLY.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 30, 2008

Have you got peanut butter? It might work to put some in a dish on the floor while you're doing other things - rats are quite fond of peanut butter.

8. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Mar 30, 2008

I would honestly buy another rat of that kind and tell the class that the former rat ran away simple.

9. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Mar 30, 2008

In the room you were in...are there cabinets?? I had a lot of hamsters and rats as pets and a lot of them found their way into the kitchen or bathroom and there are little holes under cabinets...usually they are hiding in there. If you make it completely quiet in your house you can hear them scuttling around or chewing on something. I've had many days and nights that I've been on a rat/hamster hunt. I always found them, dont worry...I'm sure he'll turn up!!

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 30, 2008

Lol....except I haven't seen another light brown rat that looks like a certain cartoon movie rat. Most are white, black, spots, etc. I've been looking.

What's ironic is I had him in a carrier in the van and the lid was broken and I didn't know it. He could have gone ANYWHERE and I wouldn't have known it. Instead he crawled up in my lap and laid there. Ugghh..rat..where are you???

I can't hear them moving. My son was a complete washout when I tried to wake him up this hour. Peanut Butter might work. They often do come back but I live on THREE floors.

11. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

Mar 30, 2008

cutNglue, I hate to tell you this but the office I work in is attached to a large warehouse that used to house zillions of GIGANTIC rats... I have seen them squeeze through the tiniest of openings, including underneath doors that have less than one inch clearance. In fact almost everyone has been greeted with rat droppings in the bottom of their desk drawers. The first year I was with the company one managed to get to the top drawer of my desk and nibble a York Peppermint Pattie. :eek: Imagine how little the spaces in the desks are!

BUT your rat is used to being fed and cared for so he may just find his way right back to his cage.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 31, 2008

I've seen ferrets squeeze under a door - they were determined to go to the computer lab for some reason. I lost a gerbil and found him, uhm, not exactly alive. I had a student take home a hamster which got eaten by their dog. I replaced it and tried to pass him off as the original, but the first kid in the room figured it out. Now, the rabbits just took the janitor on a 2-hour wild goose (rabbit) chase in the middle of the night.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 31, 2008

Cuts boys found him this morning! :2up:

14. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 31, 2008

Awesome! Glad to hear it :)

15. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Mar 31, 2008

Glad to know the rat is back where it needs to be. Maybe the class can make up stories about what he did on his adventures like that book with the mouse and the motorcycle.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 31, 2008

They did what Ms. Wull said to do and listened. They found him playing on the bottom part of my box springs. He was chewing on the wooden part.

Did I mention I started my morning off with dog puke all over the bathroom? Sigh. At least the rat is back.

My teacher gave him ice cream this afternoon and his eyes started bulging out back and forth and his teeth were chattering. I thought he was having a heart attack or a stroke when I first saw that previously. I learned it means they are happy!

Because of last night's journey I decided to do some web investigating. I didn't find what I needed to know except that yes they can squeeze under very small spaces (but thankfully he didn't). I did learn that the red circle I see around his eyes sometimes isn't a sign of illnesses. Apparently their spit is red! The spit is leftover from when he bathes. Interesting. I learn something every day.

The book is an awesome idea. We are in the middle of a massive word review (all the words we've learned so far) along with the fact that I am alone because my teacher is proctoring the MSA. So I think I'll leave that as an excellent back up plan. I learned today that half of kinder is joining us. That really isn't many kids but it meant I had to shift gears at 3pm (right before going to night class) and change my morning plan for tomorrow to accomodate more than one grade levels.

I'm gonna quit writing my thoughts out while I still have a sense of humor.

17. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 1, 2008

OK - I am so glad that you found your rat! However, I have been giggling a bit picturing the rat crawling into bed with you if he had been inclined. No matter how much you love that rat, that would have startled you for sure.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 2, 2008

My exterminator (before I had a mouse catching cat) told me mice can aqueeze through an opening as thin as a dime...

19. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 2, 2008

a dime?! Wow! That's kinda scary actually...

20. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 2, 2008

Yay! I'm glad he's been found...and glad I helped a bit! hehe. When you own those types of animals for years, those things happen all the time and you learn what works best! I swear all those little guys have the same idea when they get out, small-dark places...and chew on anything and everything!

21. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 3, 2008

Our Mama rat got out (or rather was let out when someone was playing in my room). Neither of my rats will jump. I can leave them out on a table and they will stay on it all day (not in their cage). Even if there are things they can climb down. I had sat down at the computer to work on lesson plans when the curtains started moving. I could tell sometimes was moving down the counter towards me (I have a 30 foot counter with a wall of windows). I thought I had a mouse and was watching for it. Suddenly Shawna walked out onto the counter right behind me. She just sat up on her rear end and looked at me like she was waiting for me to pick her up. I use 7 twin sheets for my curtains, and she had chewed up the one behind my bookshelf to make a nest. The holes are hidden behind the shelf so I haven't replaced it! :D