I lost my voice!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by gutterballjen, May 14, 2011.

1. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

May 14, 2011

Ack help! I've lost my voice and I need it mostly back before Monday! I went to the doctor on Thursday who put me on antibiotics, I've been drinking lots of hot tea with honey in it, have a vaporizer going....what else can I do?

What do y'all do when you lose your voice? :help:

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 14, 2011

While you're still on weekend time, can you slip a little whiskey into your tea? That's what works for me. I had bronchitis when I was acting in a play a couple of years ago. The director turned a blind eye to my beverage as long as I remembered my lines.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 14, 2011

Don't whisper...just rest your voice, lots of liquids...sometime eucalyptus lozenges are soothing.

5. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

May 14, 2011

I'm not a huge alcohol fan, but I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend either gargling with whiskey or drinking it (dilute it with warm water if it's too strong).

It definitely works wonders! I always get laragytis with a cold and this year I drank/gargled whiskey and it prevented my cold from turning into laryngitis when I was close to losing my voice.

I DEFINITELY recommend it. I hear singers do this to help their voice when sick.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 14, 2011

Oh, I'm the queen of laryngitis!! I get it without fail every single spring and fall. The bout I had just before Easter for some reason was my worst one ever. In fact, my voice is still a little raspy.

The cure is simple: stop talking. That's all there is to it.

Yeah, right. Pretty difficult as either a teacher or mom; practically impossible when you wear both hats.

So try, as much as possible, to minimize your speech. The fact that it's a weekend should help tremendously. Make a conscious effort not to speak tomorrow.

7. nifferka

nifferka Rookie

May 15, 2011

I seem to lose my voice 3 or 4 times a year. Stop talking. Get a notepad and pencil to take around with you, and wrap a scarf around your throat--it might keep it warm, but mostly it will remind you not to talk! Don't sing, either.

I like warm lemon and honey. Caffeine seems to make things worse, so I wouldn't drink tea. (My FIL, who teaches at a college, found that giving up tea during the school year drastically cut down on the number of times he lost his voice.)

I hope it gets better!