I lost my chops!

Discussion in 'Music Teachers' started by Samothrace, May 18, 2009.

1. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

May 18, 2009

I thought I would post this here..knowing you'd get what I mean! I played clarinet all through school, even in college despite being an Art Ed. major. I almost went into music ed..but went with art ed.

I was fairly talented, it came natural for the most part. So I haven't really played it for like 3 almost 4 years, with the exception of an art lesson I do that incorporates music and I just play a few bits and pieces. I am playing in a community band again and we had our first site read rehersal tonight. I told my old director..he's like how'd it go..i said you want the truth..I suck! lol I had no phrasing, massive squeaking, my mouth kept drying out..I couldn't get myself in tune..it was just bad! Although I do blame still being a bit sick on my lack of breathing...and as always, a horrible reed! :whistle:

Man I hope I improve a lot over the next couple of weeks! :D

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

May 18, 2009

It will come back to you faster than you think! Good luck!

4. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 19, 2009

It will come back. I miss playing my euphonium. I've looked into some community bands...maybe I'll get my butt in gear this summer. ;)

5. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

May 19, 2009

Sam~
    I played the clarinet too for 8 years. I stopped for 3 or 4. I used to have great intonation and clarity.

My finance was over one day a few years bag and I was bragging away to him..."oh, I was in this orchestra and that..." (since he's a musician I thought he'd appreciate)

I put the clarinet and took one blow...SQUEEEAAAAK! I could not, for the life of me, play a clear note.

I attribute it to your ambiture. Your muscles need to get used to being in that form again around your mouth. Also, make sure you are covering those holes!

Good luck to you and keep practicing! You'll get it.:)

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 19, 2009

(looking confused)

Your butt???

7. sk8enscars311

sk8enscars311 Companion

May 20, 2009

I have no chops either! I played trumpet for 12 years. Then for the next three years I never touched it. One day soon I'll pick it back up... it was also a source of anxiety for me in college... so it's just taking me some time. Keep practicing! Until then I may work on some woodwind stuff so that I'm not a total dud.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 20, 2009

It will come back - especially the tone. I played flute as a kid, then played in church for many years. There were some great times and some horrible times. I've played at school maybe 3 or 4 times over the last ten years. I don't think I would do very well in the community band.

9. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 22, 2009

Yes...maybe I'll get my butt in gear and sign up for a band. :confused:

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2009

Sorry. Bad joke that didn't come across.

I'll just slink off in a corner and blush myself to sleep now...

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 23, 2009

Community bands are the best! I've very active in the one located in my area, and it has really given me the opportunity to keep playing even though I'm totally out of the music world. :)

Most of our members are just like you... old band nerds (tee hee) who just don't want to let it go. Look into the ones in your area! You won't regret it.

12. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 23, 2009

:D I was hoping it was a joke but wasn't sure. :D

13. tsol

tsol Rookie

May 23, 2009

At least you play an instrument!!I don't! I am sure that you have not been practicing as much as you had before. Once you do, the brain and the muscles involved will remember and get back in form.
    Good luck. I admire your interest in starting again.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 23, 2009

(brightening)

The joke might have made more sense were your instrument the trumpet...

15. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 24, 2009

I got it, TG.:D

16. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 24, 2009

That's a nasty visual, though....:spitwater:

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 24, 2009

It's the Bernoulli effect...

18. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 12, 2009

It will come back! Don't give up, you will be surprised how fast it will come back if you practice every day!

19. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 3, 2009

As a flute player... if I am away from the flute for a while, my embrochure comes back quickly...but it's the speed of my fingers and the ability to play as I used to that takes a while. I look at music I COULD play when I was practicing 6 hours a day (HATED that in college - good grief I wasn't a performance major!)..and realize that those are only a pipe dream if I don't want to practice that much anymore...and i don't!

20. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Jul 3, 2009

I want to echo two things people have already mentioned: your tone and embouchure will come back and look into community bands near you! I played flute all throughout middle and high school but didn't touch it at all in college. After a few years in grad school I picked it up again because a friend of mine was in a community band and wanted me to join. I've played with them for two years now and enjoy it so much. In fact, we have a concert this evening and another on Sunday--I was doing some last minute practice right before I got online. :)

Best of luck to you!

~Briana~

21. grumpyoldman

grumpyoldman New Member

Aug 21, 2009

Don't let it get you down. Happens even to playing pro's.
    I have my ed degree but was lucky enough to break into the nyc/session/broadway scene 15 years ago - so I've been playing for my supper.
    When I'm on a b'way show for a couple years I get really stale - even though I'm playing every day. After awhile I begin to feel like I can ONLY play the show I'm working on. Sight reading, jazz chops, all suffer.

The only fix is the tried and true one. Get out the metronome and start playing phrases SLOWLY.
    Your chops will come back to you as your muscle memory awakens. You still have the same amount of talent!
    Hit the shed! and enjoy the process.
    Playing music is a beautiful thing.

22. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 22, 2009

I played all through college and now play in 3 groups...

Summer: one of our local park districts sponsors one at one of the high schools, so it's a nice combo of jr high/HS kids, college folks keeping their chops up, and those of us who just love making music too much not to play. I actually play first part there (haven't done that since high school!!!), and the music is about a low-to-mid high school level.

School year: I actually play in 2 groups. The first is a community band sponsored by our local community college. I don't want to brag, but we're pretty darn good... no auditions, and it's a mix of college kids, band directors, retired band directors, and us non-professional musicians who just have fun playing. The music is tough, but there are enough of us that you can get away with fudging the parts you can't play (we had 24 clarinets last semester... 4 firsts, 10 seconds and 10 thirds). We have a lot of fun and still tackle challenging stuff, but i don't feel the need to practice ;)

I also play in a band at my church. A couple years ago, we started a contemporary service on Saturday nights. Our band consisted of piano, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, electric bass, tenor sax, alto/soprano sax, and me on clarinet. The service fizzled, but lots of people loved the band... so we're now on the schedule covering one service a month... we now have piano, flute, alto (occasional sop) sax, tenor sax, clarinet, 2 trumpets, elec. guitar, bass, and drums (usually). Our piano guy also directs the high school choir and is an accomplished arranger and improviser... so we do a mix of his arrangements/ compositions, published arrangements, improv, and straight transpositions from the hymnal (usually I end up doing it for all the Bb instruments... never could do that before!). I'd call the style "Latin jazz/contemporary fusion." It's just plain fun :)

23. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 22, 2009

24. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 22, 2009

It doesn't really tell you much, but here it is... http://www.cod.edu/dept/codband/main.html

Last year, our December concert was New World Symphony, along with some Mannheim Steamroller and other holiday songs. Our March concert was all music with a transportation theme, and May was The Music of John Williams. This year, fall concert is "Band Favorites from Days of Yore" or something like that, and our December concert is featuring Holst's The Planets.

Yours looks like fun, too :)

25. scott connuck

scott connuck Rookie

Sep 5, 2009

Okay-- All those who have so far responded are not truly listening to you-- I have, and I will be honest!
    1. You need to have a reason to sound good, i.e. Do you really see yourself having a future in music performance???
    2. Are you willing (at this stage in your life) to put forth the effort necessary to be as proficient as you once were???

Life is a tradeoff! Make no mistake... most human beings are not willing or able to make the same sacrifices in their adult years as they were in their youth! You have other obligations and goals... family, monitary, time, etc.

Be honest with yourself... It takes a great deal of time and effort to be a good musician! If it is worth it to you, fine! However, if you find that the effort it would entail will be more than you are willing to offer... that should be okay as well!
    The choice is yours! You know inside of what I am saying!
    Scott Connuck,
    Master of Music