I Like Helping Teachers Declutter Classrooms!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by AspieTeacher, Feb 14, 2009.

1. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Feb 14, 2009

Hey guys,

I'm so bored right now with my life after school. I work with severely involved students and I find that after the day ends, I have no use for my time. I love to help other teachers "declutter, organize, and make room for materials and supplies" that they promise to implement and make use of. I really enjoy doing this as a hobby and I told myself that when I retire, I want to help teachers who are new and need assistance in setting up their classrooms where things are easier to access and find. I am willing to set up an organization blog that will share ideas with others all over the U.S. and related to help you. I live in the Los Angeles area and I want to so bad go into some of the classrooms and wave my magic wand and organize the place. I am willing to volunteer to help others as much as possible. I prefer to help teachers who work with special education because I feel that we get ignored when it comes to classroom organization. If you have ideas, please let us know. Let's help each other out, that's why we are teachers.

Troy in Downey, Ca
    Aspieteacher :dizzy:

3. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Feb 14, 2009

I think that would be a great service. We had one teacher in particuliar who could have used that service. She retired and cleaned her room and still have a closet and file cabinet full of junk she left.
    Our school use to be year round and you moved classrooms every 9 weeks so I am pretty streamlined. Although I have added stuff since we are now traditional. I like to keep things in bins and organized. That really helps me.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 14, 2009

Aspie! So good to see you here again!

Would looove to have you come organize me. But I don't exactly count as special education.

5. Kinder Preppie

Kinder Preppie Rookie

Feb 15, 2009

Your trade phrase could be "When in doubt, throw it out" :)

6. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Feb 21, 2009

Thank you so much for the replies teachers. Like I said, my specialty is working in special education and these people usually need more help in structuring the classroom to assist the needs of their indvidual students but i'm open to general education as well. The key to organization is to get rid of anything that is not being used within the school year. Saving everything is not the best policy for teachers. You'll save more money and time if you only buy things that you KNOW you will use and have the right amount of storage space to store it. EVERYTHING should have a home that is indvidualized, categorized and not just shoved in the closet, shelf, or table because it's there. You need to have the urge to purge when it's necessary. Schedule a time weekly to "declutter" your classroom. Make 3 large boxes: 1. keep (only if you use it frequently) 2. trash (including things with missing pieces) 3. Donate (give to teachers who desperately need items). This includes ANYTHING in the classroom.

Realizing that you have "clutter" is the first step of decluttering.

Aspieteacher :dizzy:

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 21, 2009

Will you come to my room in Alabama?? PLEASE!! LOL I'm such a packrat! I had a para that was my organizer and one that was my cleaner. My organizer was so good, the last day of school one year, I had to call her 3 times to ask her where something was and she could tell me exactly where to find it. :)