I know my time will come but....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsBee, Jul 14, 2009.

1. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

I know, I know my time will come but today I was in Staples getting my brochures printed and all of a sudden I saw a group of young teachers walk in. They were all happy and talking about what they came and bought yesterday for the new year.

They all had a cart and they were piled with composition notebooks and highlighters...etc. They were all excited about the new year and getting their supplies.
    (Basically they came again with a group of people to help when there was a limited on the purchases)
    But anyway my heart stopped a bit and I began to feel sad.

Am I the only one?

3. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 14, 2009

No--I'm right there with you. I went to Lakeshore Learning on Sunday to just get stuff for my girls and I so wanted to buy stuff for a classroom. We will get there :)

4. MissLD

MissLD Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

I hear ya. I look in stores at all the teaching stuff, classroom decorations, learning games, etc. and I sooooo want to be buying that stuff.

5. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

I mean they were so happy!!! :(
    And the guy in Staples (who sees me all the time making the brochures!!! was like "so nothing yet huh"

:(

6. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 14, 2009

No...you are not the only one. This time of year is the worst for me. I have a love/hate relationship with any store that teacher's might frequent. I love to dream and see all these great tools of the trade *I secretly love the smell too ;) But, my heart sits in my stomache knowing that I do not have a classroom to get ready. Last year I had to leave Walmart because I started to cry.

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

I'd probably has said something I would regret.

Your time will come and then you will be worried about all the money you are spending. There is so much I'd love to buy, but with 6 kids can't afford. I don't even go to Lakeshore unless I have a good $300 to blow (which isn't often).

8. RFC

RFC Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

You are definitely not the only one. I had more interviews in the past two weeks than I have had since I graduated in December. Of course, I didn't get any of the jobs (though one is still pending, hope hope!). In fact, two of the principals that interviewed me gave me rave reviews. One said they would have hired me if they had two positions. It stinks to get so close, but not get the job. But, I'm staying positive. At least I know I am doing things right, I've just lost out on a few jobs because of lack of experience. Eventually it will all fall into place for all of us! Everybody has to start somewhere! :)

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2009

Huge :hugs: jw!

10. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 14, 2009

Ms. Bee, you are going on your tour de get-a-job soon! We are all pulling for you!

jw, there is still time, lots of time. At my first teaching job, I was hired the Saturday before the Monday inservice!!!

11. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

I know what you mean! I had to pull myself away from the school stuff at Target the other day - I don't want to buy it if I don't need it but oh, how bad I want to need it!

Our time will come!

12. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

A local school corp(a really big one that is my first choice even tho it's not desirable to most ppl) told me they don't start hiring externally til July 27th...which is like a week or two before school starts. That's giving me a little hope to hold on too....and the fact my friend is searching in this area too and we both haven't had any interviews since May, makes me feel a little better!

13. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

I can relate. I avoid school supplies section entirely. Plus, I have a lot of leftovers from my purchases last year to hold me over in case I do get a teaching position and I miss all the back to school sales.

14. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 14, 2009

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 14, 2009

You will get there and then, you will be able to plan and purchase for your new class. :)

16. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2009

Your time will be here soon, MsBee.

17. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

I'm with you too. :| I get so sad hearing all my friends so excited about moving stuff back into their rooms and getting set up.

18. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

One of my friends was on facebook and her status said something like "am having a hard time deciding on what I want to buy so I'm going to buy everything" something like that.
    She got a job 2 weeks after graduation. Basically she got a job right after student teaching in April. We graduate in May.

19. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 14, 2009

One of my friends on FB had her status today about how tired she was after working in her classroom all day. If only I had a classroom...

20. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

Yes, take solace in the fact half of them will quit within a year and the other will have ulcers and/or eating disorders.
    Just kidding, trying to cheer you up.

21. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2009

bernicebobs, :lol:

22. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 14, 2009

I totally understand what you are saying. My daughter (11 yo and hopes to be a teacher one day as well) and I have big shopping plans for school stuff once I hear "You're Hired!" I think she's almost as excited about it as I am. I know my time will come...just like your's will come.

23. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

Hang in there

24. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 15, 2009

Your time will come. It sounds so trite sometimes doesn't it? But it is true. In the meantime, I am avoiding any supply stores.

25. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2009

MsBee, you have MULTIPLE INTERVIEWS in districts you really want lined up! And these districts tend to hire late in the season.

I know a bit what you mean though. I HAVE a classroom and I am dying to buy a couple cool posters (there are two movie posters and a mineral poster that I really want, plus I want a large poster printout of a volcano cartoon I made that says "Igneous is Bliss"). The walls are bare cinder block and it is a big room. But I don't get paid until October and I can't buy groceries right now. So, no posters. Boo hoo.

26. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jul 15, 2009

lol @boo hoo.

Yes I am pretty lucky to get these interviews. I just hope I don't screw them up.

27. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2009

Let your enthusiasm and your preparedness shine through, and I bet you will be fine and shopping for supplies before you know it.

28. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 16, 2009

Miss Bee....

My saddest days were last fall... watching the school buses roll by.

I'm buying supplies this summer... but keeping them in the bag with the receipts. I don't want to sound TOO down... but can't afford to have unused pencils for no reason.

Here's hoping that I have a class to go with the pencils soon!

29. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2009

I hope that the time will come for all you real soon.

30. dola0072

dola0072 Rookie

Jul 16, 2009

I was at Office Max and walked down the school teachers section and felt like I was going to cry. I haven't even had an interview yet this year. I am teaching preschool right now but I want to teach elementary so badly. I know exactly what you are talking about. Hang in there something will come.

31. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 16, 2009

I had to go to The School Box the other day to pick up some file folder games for my Reading and Math Methods classes. I thought I would break down right in the store seeing all the excited teachers buying things for their classrooms.

32. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

Keep this in mind--those young and "all happy" teachers that you mentioned seeing? Statistics show that a majority of first year young teachers end up quitting, very ofen before the year is up. The bright side of all this is they will end up leaving openings for dedicated teachers like yourself and then you will have your dream job.

33. NEFLteacher

NEFLteacher Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

I have a whole stack of bins and equipment in the garage ready for my classroom. I've stopped adding to it though and have seriously considering having a garage sale!

On the first day of school last fall, I broke down in tears (and many a time since) after I dropped my kids off at school. I'm dreading this year.

I think I'll send hubby to buy school supplies this year!