I know I preach about not taking work home with me but I'm about to lose my mind

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 28, 2019

The school-related backstory: My school does reading groups consisting of skill, guided reading, and basal intervention. I generally quite like the system. However, there's a bit of effort in creating the groups. Because of the effort involved, it was decided that this would not occupy the time of our collaboration meetings but be divvied up as rotating task among the teachers in pairs. At the same, this seemed like a good idea. Myself and a fellow teacher were given the first rotation.

Fast forward to now, Thanksgiving break. We were supposed to have the data for changing reading groups last week. However, we did not acquire all the data we needed, thus pushing off the opportunity to meet to create groups as a partnership. It's ideal we start the new reading groups next week upon returning to school. But because of the delay, it seems the only way to get the groups ready is to do the work over the break. Sigh. Not ideal but it is what it is.

An added bit of information: We will be changing many of the groups in an effort to add more interventions, so it is now a lot more complicated than merely moving children about as needed.

And this is all on an Excel file, which I'm not that great at using.

The personal-related backstory: My daughter is wanted for a medical study out of state. My husband and I pondered it and decided to go in the name of science. We have agreed to it and have received our travel information. The study is spending roughly $5000 on us. This is... next week. We'll be out of town Monday-Wednesday, the same Monday-Wednesday beginning the week after Thanksgiving break, the week we want to start fresh reading groups. From a professional standpoint, an admittedly terribly timing, but my principal was fine with it and such is life.

My idiocy: I'm attempting to create a schedule of skills groups without knowing what exact groups I need to have on a program I'm not that great at using on a file that was created by someone far more talented than I without the teacher I was paired with. Yes, I unofficially took the responsibility on myself with the plan to have her look it over/clean it up. I'm attempting to do this for over 130 students.

I really, really hate the idea of ditching this project, or dumping it on my partner, or asking that someone switch me with while I tackle it at a later date. I hate the idea of bringing up my difficulty when everyone is on vacation.

But it's also keeping me from writing my lesson plans for three days. I also do not wish to back out of the trip.

Sorry for the novel, but golly, anyone have any advice?

3. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 28, 2019

Write those lesson plans. Focus on what your family needs. Others will either respond or the principal will put off the new groups until the next week.

Backroads, vickilyn and bella84 like this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 28, 2019

Write your lesson plans.

Everyone keeps the same groups for another week . . . or two. It won’t kill anyone.

bella84, MrsC and Backroads like this.
  5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 28, 2019

Don't be afraid to "share" this set of variables with your partner, who probably is at least a little aware of the situation with your daughter. Sometimes you have to let people be your white knight. Allow them to step up to the plate and be generous with their time and their concerns for you and your family. Take the trip with your family, come back with a clear conscience - some concerns trump others, and this is one of those times. Without guilt as a partner, you may come back with fresh perspective, allowing you to be more productive as a team member. Accept that we can't always make the world bend to our timelines, and understand that your daughter will, and should always be, your absolute first concern. Principal is aware of the situation, gave the OK, so I'm almost certain that there will be some leeway provided. Come back ready to jump into whatever has transpired, relieved and more able to think clearly about your grouping. Honestly, in the grand scheme of things, a week will not make or break the program or your efforts. Give yourself a chance to breathe and accept that you can't make the world bend to your will. Once you do that, the rest will fall into place without guilt. Safe travels.

bella84 and Backroads like this.
  6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 29, 2019

This is excellent advice. Also, you need to keep your own health a priority right now. Stress is not something you need right now. Good luck and I hope the study aids you in the care of your daughter.

Backroads likes this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 29, 2019

My goodness, thank-you all.

Here's what has happened since I posted this.

My husband caught me sick over the whole thing. He offered to sort out the data to make it easier to deal with. This was, and I was able to go a lot further on the project at a much quicker pace. I did not finish the project, but decided, with reason, I had done plenty and submitted it to the other teacher to look over as well as asking the team to look over it for any signs of double-booking.

My husband also declared the Excel file to be in his opinion a half-baked mess (I'd still say it's decent, but Husband enjoys playing with spreadsheets and also uses them all the time at work). Turns out he had created for his mother last year (works in my district as a reading para who also found herself in charge of making a spreadsheet with the exact same purpose) that is much more fluid and requires much less human involvement. He has offered to make a similar spreadsheet for us, and I think I'll pass the offer along to the powers that be.

I am polishing up my other lesson plans, attempting to take care of my own health, and intend to enjoy a nice game of Dungeons & Dragons with other professional adults tomorrow.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 29, 2019

Some say too many cooks in the kitchen is a bad thing. I say, if the cooks who are chiming in are smarter and more experienced than I am, I welcome the help - there is plenty of praise to go around to all who contribute. Enjoy the trip and the game. We'll catch you on the flip side.

Backroads likes this.
  9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Dec 1, 2019

I gave another once-over on the groups.

Yeah, it's not ready. I am at peace with that. This was something that was intended to be done with another teacher in the school building.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 1, 2019

So, it will be, in due time. There are time frames in our heads that "sound good", and then there are time frames that actually work. You have realized what the missing ingredient is, and you don't have it handy in your "cupboard" at home. A little extra time will finish what you are working on, without ruining the entire process. You can make your partner aware, but needing a real, live partner to run all of this by is just going to be slightly delayed. Trip first, catch up when you are back. Travel with our best wishes. :hugs:

a2z likes this.
  11. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 6, 2019 at 8:46 PM

Hoping that the trip was relatively smooth and stress free. So nice you got back just in time for the Christmas high that the students seem to have going strong!

12. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Dec 7, 2019 at 10:48 AM

I am so glad it all worked out for you. It sounds like you have a gem of a hubby too. I just read this thread and have to tell you that it really bothers me what some schools expect from teachers. I felt sick when I saw what all you had to do over vacation. I have only had a few occasions to use Excel and came to dislike it greatly too. :). I never took a class in it because I figured something better would come out soon years ago! I am glad you are at peace w/ the situation now. <3