I know I know this but…. (Talking)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Sep 8, 2021.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 8, 2021

I know I know this but… I’m with younger kids than I’m used to (third) and some seem to have zero awareness of needing to raise hands or not talk when the teacher is talking. We went over rules and expectations, I reminded kindly, and I did the pause-and-wait thing multiple times. Please post some (nonjudgmental please) info on the basics on what I do next. First day back was today. So many haven’t been in class for 1.5 years. I’m hoping some of you who went back in August have some pointers for what truly worked for you. The first day is so exhausting, especially in a new district. Thanks.

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2021

If it's only the first day, I'm sure things will improve!

My tips:
    1. Never, ever respond in any way to a student who has shouted out. If they figure out it never works, they'll stop doing it.
    2. If I want students to raise their hands, I raise my hand as a non-verbal cue. This also works if someone is blurting- ignore them and raise your hand. They'll get the hint fast.
    3. This is probably obvious, but provide as many chances as you can for them to be allowed to talk (turn and talk, talk to the table, choral response, etc.)

If you have to, do some sort of preferred activity time system where they earn it if they're not shouting out. For whatever reason, my kids are obsessed with playing bingo (I don't even give prizes, and it's often word bingo so they still have to read). For tough groups I will write "bingo" on the board and cross out a letter every time someone shouts out or talks when they're not supposed to be. If they have at least one letter left by the end of the subject, they earn it. You can write whatever reward/activity works for you.

4. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Sep 9, 2021

waterfall! This rocks.

Tired Teacher and waterfall like this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 9, 2021

Thanks. Today was better. The thing is, I know they were normal kids and I know I did normal, fine teaching and they just need lots of consistent reminders because, again, they’re kids and it was the first day. I was just so exhausted yesterday evening haha. The first week is something else always, but especially in a pandemic. Even when everyone does their best it’s so tiring! Please send some patience and coffee my way :rolleyes:

Tired Teacher likes this.
  6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2021

If the kids are basic 3rd graders ( most still want to please the teacher) I made a fuss about how great it was that someone raised their hand the second someone else shouted out. Not only did I not respond to the shouter, I did not look at them. If they are basically decent kids, they will learn. In your honor, I am drinking a cup of coffee. Plus, I have lots of patience to send your way ( along with energy). I am no longer the Tired Teacher. I am now the REtired Teacher! :) I should have tried this years ago! :)

7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Oct 2, 2021

Update: every teacher in the building (and others I’m sure) ended up having this same issue. Actually my group is doing very well comparatively haha. I may eat those words later for sure. Keeping it positive and working on lots and lots of reminders has helped.