I kind of lost it on facebook...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Jul 11, 2014.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 11, 2014

Hopefully I wasn't too rude, but I'm just really sick of all of the school/teacher bashing that is popping up on facebook lately. Yesterday it was an (obviously fake) article about how schools are micro-chipping kids to turn them into government drones. Today I read an article about how kids don't have ADHD. Rather, teachers are making them sit for too long. Some other facebook friends got into a discussion how the things going on in schools today are just proof that the end of the world is coming. I'm so irritated, so I posted this:

It really bothers me that people seem to have one of the following impressions of schools today: 1) They think that schools are run in a way similar to the way they were when they were in school. This means that they know everything about school. Even if you graduated from high school 5 years ago, I guarantee that today's elementary classroom is very different from when you were in school. 2) They think that public schools have become worse over the years. The children are out of control, and the teachers (and government) are out to get them.
    I would challenge anyone to spend a day in a classroom to see the great things that schools and teachers are doing these days. I've seen so many negative things on facebook in the past few days, and it just really angers me that people have such false impressions of public schools and "the system." Don't believe everything you read.

I hope it didn't come off as rude...I usually don't get into things like this on facebook, but I just felt compelled to say something.

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2014

I can understand how these types of postings can hit a nerve when the misinformed are making judgement calls. Unfortunately, as teachers, we get hit with criticism al the time from just about everyone. I wonder if other professions don't go through similar criticisms....doctors, lawyers, etc....I know I complained about how office visits at the doctor's were limited to 15 minutes in and out so you had to learn to ask questions and make them do the right thing. You couldn't leave it up to them to make the right call any more. I bet that was hard on doctors because they probably didn't make up this new way of doing things. I can understand how you were upset. I don't think your response was harsh at all.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 11, 2014

I do think that everyone faces criticism. I also think that many teachers are sensitive and caring by nature. When we're "attacked" for something that we pour our hearts into, it really stings.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 11, 2014

I think the main problem is that children / teenagers are different today, (in a negative way) and it's the parents' fault. It really is. (or society as a whole, technology, modern times and parents). And then society wants teachers / schools to fix the kids, because they're the professionals. No, it all starts at home.

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2014

I definitely "like" what you wrote! I think you are right on both counts. If it's not one of those things, then people are complaining that bad teachers can't be fired, we are lazy and rich, or we are keeping our students from pledging to the flag.:confused:

7. WindyCityGal606

Jul 11, 2014

We are in a profession where a lot of people have a lot to say and most times, they really don't know what really goes on. How could they? They just see school as a place their kids go every day. They don't, nor would they, know what we do. Most of the time, we only hear from parents if they have a complaint. Sometimes we have those special ones who actually appreciate what we do because they have the time and take the time to come in and share in our daily work. Those people are rare. Still, I don't worry too much what people say. I have been working with my union lately to canvas neighborhoods and get the word out on what is going on in schools and I've met some really great people who tell me they just didn't now because most of their opinions have been based on what's portrayed of schools and teachers in the media. Is there a way for you to get involved like this so you can get the word out in your community at least? Even getting a few people to listen feels great.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 11, 2014

I totally agree!

9. live

live Companion

Jul 11, 2014

I actually feel like your post was far from rude. In fact, I think it was very well-written.

I feel the same way on occasional. "Oh, you're a teacher? I hated school." What is that supposed to imply? And yes, I've heard that more than once.

When I get down, I try to remind myself why I do what I do. My close friends and family support me and are quick to make sure I don't forget. In fact, a high school graduate recently wrote me a note saying how selfless I am for teaching and that teachers are under-valued. It was truly a beautiful note. While I don't need others to show their appreciation, it certainly helps after receiving the proverbial middle finger from the media and those who actually believe them.

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2014

I think you need to delete a few facebook friends. That micro-chipping thing is laughable.

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 11, 2014

I don't think what you said is rude at all, but I agree with Lucy that it might be time to delete a few "friends"- or at least block them from your newsfeed. I just don't think they'll ever get it.

I literally lost a really close friend of about 15 years over all the anti-education stuff that she would post on facebook. She had been one of my best friends since middle school, kept in touch in college, and she was one of the two high school friends I regularly spent time with when I visited home after moving out of state. She got really political and kept posting articles and comments essentially with all the common rhetoric, teachers are underworked and overpaid, whiners, poor teaching is the reason for everything going wrong in the country, etc. I would try to write respectful comments and she would just swear up and down that of course she knows what school is like, because she was there for 17 years. Some people will never get it. I just couldn't continue to be friends with someone like that anymore.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 11, 2014

I may be cynical, but I really do think the media has been contributing to this lately as well. Whatever the reason, we have become the targets for everything that is wrong in education today and that's influencing public opinion. I love that you commented back to set them straight.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 11, 2014

Good for you DP! I don't think your post was rude.

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 12, 2014

School shootings, obese kids, kids who can't do math - all our fault, of course.

I think your comments were fine.

15. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

Out of curiosity, what kind of response did your post receive? I'm glad you said what you said and thought it was straight forward/well written. I, too, am getting tired of all the teaching bashing going on and how everything seems to be "our" fault.

16. WindyCityGal606

Jul 14, 2014

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 14, 2014

It actually had a pretty good response! Two teacher friends shared my status. A lot of people liked it. Some people turned it into a public school vs. private school discussion, which is not really what I intended.

Overall, a good response, though!