I kick myself for this.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dogs&teaching, Feb 9, 2010.

1. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Feb 9, 2010

About a month ago, I asked the other preschool teacher to sub for a day while I went out of town. She said no. I was hurt. I got over it. Then, she asked me to sub for her for a week while she went to Mexico. I was pretty ticked off about her asking me right after she had told me no. Normally, I keep my ears open and my mouth shut. I live in a small town and word can get around fast. Well, against my own advice, I opened my mouth.

About a week before I had asked her to sub, I realized I had left some books at the preschool that I needed. I had left the books on a Friday and didn't realize it until Monday. I went Monday night after she had finished her preschool class and found a business plan, expense budget, etc. lying on the desk. I had found similar documents on the computer a week before. She had always told me that she had wanted to open her own preschool or daycare.

Flashforward to when I was upset and I had had my last straw, I took it to my principal and told her I found it on the desk. (Our preschool is in the covenant where the principal lives. So if she would have happened to walk in, she would have found it.) My principal told me she wasn't suprised about the fact of the other teacher wanting to leave.

To be honest, I like the other teacher a lot. She is a really great teacher and has taught me quite a bit being as this is my first year. I don't want her to leave and I don't want to take her job. The principal said that she would put doing all the classes at the preschool and then do p.e. on the two afternoons we don't have preschool. I would love that very much.

The bummer part is that some lady had sent her resume to the school who is obviously more qualified than I am. The school hasn't advertised any open positions and this lady had just moved to town. My principal thinks this is wonderful because if the other preschool teacher quits, she would use this other lady to fill the position. That's all fine and dandy except for I really, really want the position. I only work at the school 3 days a week. It's my only job and I could use the extra money to help me continue through school. If I got the position, I would be full time and I could get insurance, which I don't have.

I know I screwed up by even opening my mouth. I do really want this position and I want to mention it to principal. I just don't know how. I need some advice. Please?

ADVICE????

3. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Feb 9, 2010

Does your principal know that you want the position? She might think you are content staying where you are. I would think that even though the other person has more qualifications on paper, you would be the better choice since you already work there, know the staff, routines, kids, etc. I would ask your principal for a meeting and honestly tell her you would like be considered as well for the open position once the other teacher leaves. If she still chooses the outside hire, oh well at least you know that you weren't passed over simply because your principal didn't know you wanted the position!

4. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Feb 9, 2010

Advocate for you own needs. If you want the position, let it be know and SELL yourself. This isn't a time for humility or hesitation. Go for it!

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 9, 2010

Just go talk to your principal. Tell her that if a full time teaching position does become available you would like to be interviewed for it. Ask her what you need to summit to get an interview.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2010

While the P may have appreciated the 'heads up' you provided by sharing the other teacher's PRIVATE papers, consider that this may not reflect well on your professionalism in the P's eyes. You might want to approach the P and tell her that while you understand there may or may not be an upcoming opening, you would appreciate her considering you for the slot should it open.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2010

Trying to understand here... You wrote that a week prior to asking her to sub you found the papers. Then a week later, when you were upset, you gave them to your principal. Is this right or am I just too tired to understand correctly? Does this mean that you kept this woman's papers for a week?

8. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Feb 10, 2010

I didn't keep the ones she had printed off. She had them saved on our computer and I printed them off.

9. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Feb 10, 2010

I understand that. And the papers were saved on our computer. We share the computer in our classroom.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 10, 2010

I'm afraid that I'm having trouble getting past you printing off someone's personal papers and taking them to the principal.

And taking them just to "get even" because you were mad does seem a little childish.

I'm in agreement with the person who says to advocate for yourself if you're interested in the job. However, if I were the principal and knew that you had brought me someone's personal papers just because you were mad, I couldn't help but keep that in the back of my mind when thinking about who to use in the new position.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2010

Regardless of the questionable professionalism of your colleague's use of school property to make her own business plans, printing off and sharing someone else's work/personal paperwork is not the most professional choice either.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2010

Okay, well...you asked for advice. My advice would be to not rifle through other people's belongings. The argument that it was on a school computer holds no water in my book, especially considering the lengths you went to in order to locate the files on the computer and print the documents. I know you've already stated you're kicking yourself for this choice, so beyond agreeing with you, I have no other advice to offer. Ima said if she were the principal your decision would probably be in the back of her mind, but if I were the principal, it would be in the very front.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2010

I agree with the others that it was a bad choice and that you should go advocate for yourself to let the P know you want a position if it becomes available. However, I also agree that the P may keep it in mind that you shared this type of info that wasn't really yours to share. The other candidate may have the better shot just because of what you did. :sorry:

14. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Feb 10, 2010

"The bummer part is that some lady had sent her resume to the school who is obviously more qualified than I am."

I say it's karma.

15. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Feb 10, 2010

I understand that it was very unprofessional on my part. My principal had asked me to show her the papers. My principal was very disapointed that the other teacher was using it for personal use instead of for her job. My principal had to work very hard to get us a computer in the first place and she was upset that this is other the teacher was really using it.

16. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 10, 2010

Can you say "childish?" I would never give you a job of power until you proved yourself to me. The first step would be to go to your peer and tell on yourself. Then you need to ask forgiveness of your co teacher and then of your principal. You put yourself in someone else's business...and that is a NO-NO!:eek:

17. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 10, 2010

How did the principal know to ask you to show her the papers?

18. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Feb 10, 2010

One of the teacher's husband works on the computers for us when they don't work. He had said something to his wife about the other teacher having a bunch of personal stuff on the computer. She in which had told my principal. Principal has also heard rumors from people at church, who don't even work at the school, saying she was quiting.

I had told her about the papers first. And later that day she asked me to get them off the computer.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2010

Upon that request, I would have been 'unable' to access my colleague's paperwork. Some computer glitch...:2cents:

20. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Feb 10, 2010

That's karma? I think karma is kind what happened to the teacher who the OP snitched on. That or BAD planning. Using company time and resources for other business ventures and refusing to sub for a coworker. :rolleyes:

21. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Feb 10, 2010

Never said karma wasn't a two-way street :D

22. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Feb 10, 2010

LOL

23. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2010

No one knows whether this woman used company time for these plans. Among other possibilities, she could have very well written them at home and then brought them to school on a jumpdrive to ensure they would look just as marvelous on other computers. And, really, would that be so horrible? I don't think so.

Furthermore, this whole story is just bizarre. I don't question its validity, but it sounds very immature. The teacher's husband working on the computer and finding this personal information--and I think it would require more than just working on a computer to determine documents were for personal use, but whatever; this man's wife telling the principal; church rumors; the original poster telling the principal; the original poster retrieving and printing them instead of the principal being an adult and confronting the teacher...

And one more question for the original poster: You said you saw the papers on table or desk. How did you know they were on the computer? Did you consider that she brought them to school for whatever reason, took them out of her bag, and accidently left them? Or did you just assume they were on the computer because of the other teacher's husband's gossip?

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 10, 2010

Good questions, JustMe. I was wondering that too after reading the recent updates.

25. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Feb 11, 2010

I had seen the same documents on the computer. We use the same computer because we share the classroom. She could have accidently left them or whatever, normally I don't go in there on Mondays but I had left some p.e. stuff in there that I needed. She was expecting me back. And I've worked with this teacher all year and I knew before the husband had said anything that she kept personal stuff on the computer.