I keep getting sick!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms.Blank, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Nov 3, 2014

Hey, everyone. I've used the search feature about getting sick and have gotten some good tips. However, as a sub I feel there are some things I just can't help. For example, I can't clean the student desks as much as I'd like. Let's face it...I usually get in with only thirty minutes to get settled into an unfamiliar room, look over the plans, and go make copies/ask for help/etc. I also feel that I'm exposed to more germs, since I'm seeing different groups of kids every day, rather than just sticking with the same kids on a daily basis. Is there any truth in this? Is there anything I could be doing to keep from getting sick? This is my third time getting a cold in three months...right around when I started subbing. Previous to this, I hadn't been sick in a few years. :help:

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 3, 2014

Keep some germX in your bag and up your Vit C.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2014

I used to work in an ER. When first starting there, everyone got sick quite a bit. However, soon they were the least absent employees, as their immunity levels rose to meet the challenges. I, personally, am opposed to most of the germicidal cleaning products used in everything from dish soap to toothpaste. Give your body a chance to acclimate. DO get your flu shot, make sure your pertussis vaccination is current (no, your childhood shots don't protect you forever), and ask your doctor what other vaccinations he would recommend, if any. The more colds you get, the fewer left to infect you down the line. I know that sounds stupid, but it is true. If I were cleaning desk tops, I would stick with soap and water, just to get the organic matter (read: snot) off the desk tops. It is a common occurrence when just starting out, but does improve over time.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 4, 2014

Make sure you are eating healthy and getting enough sleep (I say as I'm posting after midnight, hehe).

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 4, 2014

I'm sure this won't help much, but I think after a while you will be immune to most of the bugs going around.
    when I student taught, I was sick off and on for 3 months, it went away, something else came back (it was mostly cold, affecting my sinuses, throat, headache, stuffy nose or throat ache, each time different).
    After that I haven't been getting sick, just once in a while which I consider normal.

7. Ykk27

Ykk27 Rookie

Nov 4, 2014

I kept getting sick throughout the very 1st year of subbing. Usually, fever around 101F, then goes up to the sinuses, and down lungs....
    as soon as I dropped the fever with Tylenol, I started developing sinuses and bronchitis, which lasted for over a month.... horrible cough. That lasted for 2 school years. Finally, I decided just to let the fever go on, no Tylenol. And, a miracle happened: 2 days of horrible bone aches, but then no complications at all. Couple of times I let me body fight without taking flu aids, (I drank lots of fluids, however), and I guess my body got immunity. I have not being sick this season so far for longer than 2 days, and never over 99F.
    I sub nearly every day in different elementary schools.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 4, 2014

Don't use the kids writing utensils and maybe even bring your own.