I just want a job already!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by pontiac8411, Jun 26, 2008.

1. pontiac8411

pontiac8411 Rookie

Jun 26, 2008

OK. So far i have been on five interviews. two jobs i did not get and three i have not yet heard back from. i get so excited after the interview, but then feel like an idiot when i do not get the job. Anyway, I am dual certified (English middle school/high school, and spec ed k-12) I minored is spec ed, took and praxis 2 in it and am thereby certified. Spec ed is now more my passion, but i cannot seem to land a job in it. The minor gets me the interviews, but the fact that it was not my main area of focus eliminates me from a lot of job possibilities. Anyone here know if a minor and certification would be enough to get a job in spec ed? I have student loans i need to pay back so i am very eager to get a job!!!!

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jun 26, 2008

Do you have any experience in that area? Will this be your first teaching job?

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2008

I feel your pain about wanting a job already. It would be so nice to already be planning for the next school year, instead of sitting around willing positions to pop up, wishing the phone would ring, and practice interview questions for the hundreth time.

5. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jun 26, 2008

there is a high demand for special ed. teachers here. i am thinking if you're licensed, you would be qualified to get hired for such a position. but i guess you would have to check w/the dept. of educ. to know for sure. i know most of our sped teachers (i work in a charter) do not have full sped licensure. they have licensure in other areas (early childhood, etc.) & have gotten emergency certification in special ed. they can then teach sped while taking classes for a full license.

i would seriously consider areas where they need sped teachers. if this is not your area :(, perhaps moving would be an option. good luck to you!!

Meri

6. pontiac8411

pontiac8411 Rookie

Jun 26, 2008

I am certified to teach it and i have passed the praxis two for it. I have never held any teaching job, so i have no experience. I heard in neighboring states they are hiring people who are not even certified; therefore, why with certs. am i having a hard time. Granted i have never drafted a real IEP, but i have the qualification on paper work... what a bummer.

7. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jun 27, 2008

I am with you about wanting the job! I've only interviewed once so far, but sent out tons of applications! It would be nice if I could just know for sure that I will have a job come August (like some bird would come tell me right now) or if someone would just offer me a position already! =)

8. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 27, 2008

Experience subbing----check
    Experience aiding------check
    Experience in my own classroom----check
    Updated resume-------check
    Update portfolio-------check
    Professional website---check
    Connections-----------check

Number of interview----O

What does it take?

9. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jun 27, 2008

It takes a connection. Apparently, it's best to know someone....

10. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Jun 27, 2008

Are you willing to relaocate? That may be your best bet, especially if neighboring towns are hiring teachers who are not certified.

11. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 27, 2008

Yeah...I have been making them left and right. The response is...have you tried subbing or aiding? Well, I will do what I must, but come on...

Does anyone hear us....we need a teaching job!:lol:

12. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jun 27, 2008

Don't give up and don't get down on yourself. Most jobs are filled because someone in the school suggested this person.Work on any contacts you have.Keep going on interviews! You need to be in the right place at the right time. A friend of mine just got a job in a very difficult Social Studies field because a teacher suddenly retired in a school he was subbing in and the AP liked his work.Don't feel it is your fault. In many cases it is not the best qualified person who gets the job. GOOD LUCK!!

13. Kat03785

Kat03785 Rookie

Jun 28, 2008

I know exactly how you feel! I wish I had a dollar for everytime I said "I wish I just had a job!" Its so encouraging to read all these threads. When I started looking for jobs in Febuary/March I wasn't prepared for how much effort it would take into finding a job and for a while I was feeling like I was the only one!
    I've been on several interviews and I still have nada. I have no experience so I get passed up for jobs but I need the job to get experience! I would like to be spending my time getting stuff ready for my classroom but thats hard to do when I don't know what grade I'll be teaching or if I'll be teaching at all!
    I'm trying to be as patient and rational as I can so that I don't just end up jumping on the first thing thats offered to me whether its a good fit or not. Its nice to know I'm not alone in my frustration! We've just got to keep trying and the right position will come along (I hope!)