I just want a classroom...So frustrated.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Alisha, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 26, 2009

This is mostly a vent...just to warn you

Actually what I want is my classroom from last school year back (I was non renewed due to declining enrollment...yuck).

anyway I've been working my BUTT OFF to get a job, heck even an interview this year and it just isn't happening. I hand drop off applications, I follow up with either an email and a phone call, sometimes both! When the application goes to HR instead of the P I send the P a separate cover letter and resume.....I've only had one interview....

Just last week there was a job that would have been perfect for me posted in a district where I already had my application on file. I went to the Ps office at the school to drop off a cover letter and resume...I emailed him to let him know the stuff was waiting for him. I did a follow up phone call....and today... the job isn't posted any more. I am a good teacher.... What am I doing wrong :( :(

I'm just really sad.

3. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 26, 2009

:hugs: Sounds like you aren't doing anything wrong! Things are just really bad right now with the economy and all. I'm sorry you are having a difficult time but you have found a good place to get support! Have you thought about applying to private schools? Charter schools?

Keep your chin up!

4. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 26, 2009

Thanks...I'm just really frustrated. And when I saw that posting gone, while it was like the straw that broke the camel's back...

I have applied to private schools, just no luck. I honestly think the fact that I have experience (though it's just a year) it hurting me, I cost extra per year and all the school districts within a couple hours are hurting financially.

I'm on a few districts lists to sub this upcoming year, but I'm still looking for a full time job and doing everything I can to get an interview. I really don't want to sub...

5. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 26, 2009

I understand. I don't want to sub either. I'm a new teacher but I've subbed for years before getting my degree. However, I just moved from FL to TN so I need to get my name out there and for P's to recognize my abilities. Last week, I went on 4 interviews (one was a courtesy interview b/c the P didn't have any positions open) and would you believe that I didn't get any of those jobs? I KNOW I rocked during the interviews. In fact, I felt more at ease at all of those interviews that I ever felt before. Answered their questions thoroughly and all. I was called back on a second interview but like I said...nothing. I felt so crushed after that. This week I'm trying to pick myself up but it is hard with no postings (we're in our 3rd week of school). :(

When does school start back??

6. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 26, 2009

School here starts the week before labor day.

7. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 26, 2009

You still have time...There were lots of postings after school started and even last week. You never know! Don't give up yet! :)

8. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2009

I feel for you! I'm in the same situation. I taught Kindergarten for
    2 years and LOVED it, and I am a good teacher, too! I just want my classroom back as well! I was non-reelected, too because of numbers, even tho supposedly that's illegal, they can non renew you without cause in any case. There are 3 districts around here that need Kindergarten teachers, I have talked to them, sent my resume, followed up, etc. So far I am on two district's sub lists, but I just want to teach Kindergarten again. Hopefully both of us will be back in our own classrooms again soon!! :cool:

9. MrsA

MrsA Rookie

Aug 26, 2009

Hi Alisha,
    While I have pretty much no words of wisdom to offer you, I did want to let you know that I am in WI and having the same trouble you are. I worked in an urban Milwaukee school for 3 years, and I can't even get calls back for sub jobs.

So yes, it stinks, and the economy is garbage, but know that you're not alone!

10. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 26, 2009

Thanks for saying there's still hope, it just is hard to feel like it... I do keep looking and trying whenever possible though.

MrsA Are you still around the Milwaukee area?

11. MrsA

MrsA Rookie

Aug 26, 2009

I've actually just moved to the Madison area, which, from what I understand, has had major budget cuts this year. I would have stayed in my other job, but I got married and had to move.

But my cooperating teacher from last year still lives in Milwaukee, and she did manage to find a job last month. I'm not sure if things are better there, or if she just got lucky.

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2009

I'm also in basically the same boat as you and am planning to sub this year if I can't land anything in the next couple of weeks.

13. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 26, 2009

Actually within an hour of Madison is where I've seen plenty of posts. I live further North (not in driving distance). Do you use WECAN to search for jobs?

14. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 26, 2009

I'm sorry you're feeling so down. It stinks that there are so many of us on this board who can't get jobs. I don't have any public school experience but I know I would be a great teacher if someone would just give me a chance!

I hope something opens up for you in the next couple of weeks!

15. MrsA

MrsA Rookie

Aug 26, 2009

Yup, applied to every job I qualify for on there. I even made an account in the support staff section to apply there. Unfortunately, I think I'm probably one of 250 or so applying for each job. Boo.

I'm seeing a lot more positions posted in Janesville and Beloit, but that is just too far from where I am to justify gas costs. :unsure: Especially with our nightmarish winters! :lol:

16. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 27, 2009

I hear ya! I'd be all for commuting quite a distance..but I'm so afraid of driving over an hour in the horrible winters! Have you ever used wisconsin.gov jobs?

17. MrsA

MrsA Rookie

Aug 27, 2009

Just last year, there were at least 3 or 4 times where it took me 1 hour to drive a distance that usually took 20 minutes! And the only reason it only took an hour is because I drove on the highway!

I did look at wisconsin.gov, but it seems like most of the jobs listed are also posted on WECAN. I keep checking just in case, though.

Are you pretty far north of Madison? I heard from a former co-worker who has a cottage up in Waupaca that positions in that area were being eliminated left and right. :(

18. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 28, 2009

I'm in Eau Claire. There were 30 full time teaching positions cut in the district for the up coming school year, and though I try surrounding districts, too, it just isn't good.

19. MrsA

MrsA Rookie

Aug 28, 2009

I wonder if there is anywhere in our state where the teachers aren't having such a tough time finding jobs. Plenty is getting posted here, but I wonder how many of them seriously look at external candidates.

It's so frustrating...all those hoops we had to go through to get licensed here, and we have nothing to show for it. :(

20. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 28, 2009

Yup! I taught 7th grade last year, but that position was cut too, and it was such a small district that there were not internal positions they could move me to. So here I sit. Let's hope there's a giant wave of retirees next year! :)