I just think this is funny....Teaching in 1915.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mandagap06, Nov 18, 2009.

1. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 18, 2009

RULES OF CONDUCT FOR TEACHERS 1915
    How Times Have Changed... (From a school bulletin - 1915)
    RULES OF CONDUCT FOR TEACHERS:
    1. You will not marry during the term of your contract.

2. You are not to keep company with men.

3. You must be home between the hours of 8 P.M. and 6 A.M. unless attending a school function.

4. You may not loiter downtown in ice cream stores.

5. You may not travel beyond the city limits unless you have the permission of the chairman of the board.

6. You may not ride in a carriage or automobile with any man unless he is your father or brother.

7. You may not smoke cigarettes.

8. You may not dress in bright colors.

9. You may under no circumstances dye your hair.

10. You must wear at least two petticoats.

11. Your dresses must not be shorter than two inches above the ankle.

12. To keep the schoolroom neat and clean, you must: sweep the floor at least once daily; scrub the floor at least once a week with hot, soapy water; clean the blackboards at least once a day and start the fire at 7 A.M. so the room will be warm by 8 A.M.

HAHA!! This is funny!! What do you guys think?! Would you or could you be a teacher under these rules?!

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 18, 2009

I would have trouble with the dress thing...

4. erh3794

erh3794 Rookie

Nov 18, 2009

4. You may not loiter downtown in ice cream stores
    hahahaa!

5. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Nov 18, 2009

I was just at my art ed conference and some old profs were doing a presintation on feminist pedagogy....part of their research was looking at teachers back in the day.

To add to your random list..and this may have been before 1915. Apparently female teachers could not hang their underwear to dry on the line. They had to be dried hanging inside a pillowcase!

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 18, 2009

My grandmother was a teacher in the early 1900's. But, she tells a great story about throwing a student out the window. Can't do that now.

7. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Nov 18, 2009

LOL

8. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 18, 2009

as a male teacher not sure how i'd look in the petticoats! drafty under there? glad we've come a long way.
    thanks for the laugh

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 18, 2009

I'm not sure I'd want my underwear hanging outside! I think the pillowcase thing is kinda clever!

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 19, 2009

My parents were teachers in Australia. The government put them through school in the 40s and they had to work as assigned for a couple of years. My mother taught in a 1 room schoolhouse in the outback hauling water and teaching every grade and my father taught in the inner city. The first day teaching at a tough high school a punk challenged him and my dad (an older punk) hit in clean on the jaw and the kid passed out. My dad left him lying on the floor until he woke up and no one ever challenged him again. These days he would have gotten jail time! They had strict rules on conduct with the opposite sex but I guess hitting students was acceptable!

11. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2009

As a male teacher, most of those rules probably wouldn't apply to you.

12. Teaching_101

Teaching_101 Companion

Nov 19, 2009

Literally 99% of those "women in the past" rules are hoaxes. Not to say that there wasn't discrimination, it's just they make these list things into a hyberbole to illustrate a point.

There's tons of them on the net.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2009

I have this one, I laugh because my Grampa was in Kindergarten at that time!!! LOL!!! I have pix of his schoolhouse mates.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 19, 2009

15. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2009

However, they are rooted in fact.
    It IS true that female schoolteachers had to be unmarried and live with a family.
    It IS true that they were responsible for cleaning and light maintenance of the school building in which they taught.
    It IS true that they were not allowed to go to social gatherings unchaperoned (although that was true for unmarried women in general).

So while the lists themselves may not be "real," they do reflect the restrictions women faced during that time.

16. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2009

I'm wondering if all of that was intentional. If you don't know what I mean, then I guess it wasn't, but it's a rather amusing post.

I agree with your basic skepticism.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 19, 2009

It is certainly the case that women teaching were expected to be unmarried and to cease teaching once they married, at least at the time of Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House books. Whether that was expectation or built into the contract, I don't recall, though it was a very strong expectation - from which it follows that they could be courted. I don't recall whether my grandmother, who finished high school in the 'teens, had any married female teachers or not - though Altenbaugh's The Teacher's voice: a social history of teaching in twentieth-century America sheds fascinating light on this: his research suggests that few of these requirements would have needed to be on a list because they were considered common sense for the day, and they were enforced de facto by authoritarian school boards. Excerpts from Altenbaugh's book can be viewed on Google.

18. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2009

I read a book years back that was a compilation of teacher stories. Teachers from Fla that taught back at the turn of the century. Some of their stories were amazing. Back then you graduated HS and took a test. Depending on how you did would determine your salary as a teacher. Many small communities just got a building and hired a teacher.

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 19, 2009

Stephen... I love hearing about teaching stories. I was able to talk about 5 yrs ago with my K teacher (she was old when I had here) ... She's probably in her 90s now.

My great granny. Actually went to school for about 6 wks then started teaching after graduating HS. She then had to go to college to get her degree & then about 5 yrs after that she retired!!! LOL! Talk about funny!!!

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 19, 2009

My grandmother always talks about her (much older) cousin Betty and how she was considered so special as a teacher because she went to "Normal School"...what they called teacher training programs in the day. I gathered, from the way she talked, that since most teachers weren't trained formally, that giong to school would be today's equivalent of having a Ph.D or multiple Master's degrees.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 19, 2009

San Diego State was founded more than 100 years ago as a "normal school".

22. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 19, 2009

So was Illinois State (1857)... it was known as Illinois State Normal University for a number of year.

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 19, 2009

Really? The things you never knew :). That's pretty cool.

24. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Nov 20, 2009

My school was also a Normal School founded in 1840. It is amazing history. I love to learn about that.

25. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Nov 20, 2009

Another interesting one....

RULES FOR TEACHERS 1872

1. Teachers each day will fill lamps and clean chimneys.

2. Each teacher will bring a bucket of water and a scuttle of coal for the day’s session.

3. Make your pens carefully you may whittle nibs to the individual taste of the pupils.

4. Men teachers may take one evening each week for courting purposes, or two evenings a week if they go to church regularly

5. After ten hours in school, the teachers may spend the remaining time reading the Bible or other good books.

6 Women teachers who marry or engage in unseemly conduct will be dismissed.

7. Every teacher should lay aside from each pay a goodly sum of his earnings for his benefit during his declining years so that he will not become a burden on society

8. Any teacher who smokes, uses liquor in any form, frequents pool or public halls, or gets shaved in a barbershop will give good reason to suspect his worth, intention, integrity and honesty

9. The teacher who performs his labor faithfully and without fault for five years will be given an increase of twenty-five cents per week in his pay, providing the Board of Education approves.

Hmmmm......