I just spent...

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by RugRats, Jul 30, 2007.

1. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 30, 2007

6 hours straight in my classroom :). Anyone else get caught up in the maddness of setting up, decorating, and planning like me? I try not to spend more than 2-3 hours at a time in my class, but I lost track of time.

I was on such a roll I actually didn't want to leave! I can't wait to get back tomorrow :D !

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2007

I haven't been able to get in yet!

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 30, 2007

We can't go in until August b/c we dont start till September. However once I am in the classroom setting up and decorating I could be there all day. I lay awake at night thinking of how I want to arrange things differently, and things to do.

5. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

I haven't been able to get in yet, but I will head over next week. I probably would spend all day setting up except #1 I have two little ones at home and #2 no air conditioning!!! I get my room set up in the early evening and on the weekend mornings when it is cooler and my husband can take care of the kids! I can't wait until I get it done though because I am having a terrible time fallling asleep...my mind keeps racing with all the things I want/have to do in my room!!

6. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

lol okay so I am not alone in this!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 30, 2007

No, you are not alone. I work up a good sweat in my room - even with the air on. I can't wait to make more headway. I did pretty well today and got my main BB done. It's still a mess, though.

8. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 30, 2007

No air at my school either. I go in the mornings when it isn't too hot.

9. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

yes..I too have been in my classroom trying to get things decorated and laminated for two weeks. I been trying to get in as much as I can because of new teacher orientations and BTSA. Everyday except for Friday I will be in workshops..Why do they do this to us so close to school starting? We start the 7th of August. Wish me luck! There is still so much to do. Even with the air on I work up such a sweat, Gross! I am bringing my fan tomorrow!:lol:

10. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 31, 2007

I can't wait to get in my classroom on August 6th!

Bringing my hubby with me (who has the day off) to help move furniture around!

I can't wait to get in there!! :hugs:

11. Leanne7b

Leanne7b Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Good Idea!! If my Sweetheart wouldn't have came with me I would probably still be up their trying to squirm stuff around. A suggestion..try and think of where you want things (if it is different than last year) I had no idea so it took longer and you know the attention/patience span of those boys..We actually ended up moving the heaviest table (with three computers on top) twice. Across the room and then back to almost the exact same spot we moved it from :)blush: Whoops)

12. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jul 31, 2007

They said maybe Friday for me I am really excited and I'm not a new teacher. I some new ideas and floor plans I want to try

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 31, 2007

It's exciting and exhausting every year. That's what makes it so much fun! Every year you get to start over.

14. classemom

classemom Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I almost have my room all ready....yea!! I will go back up next week to try and finish up...

I know what you mean though....I went up there the other day to JUST drop some more things off, and 4 hours later....I was leaving...haha!

15. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Room's almost done :). I'll take pictures and post them later! Yay!!!!

16. BuLadybug

BuLadybug Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I am heading to my room tomorrow but I will definately spend a whole day there. I am putting up my BB's and starting to decorate. I live 35 mins from work so I think it is also smarter to stay longer (just because gas is so much!!) so I like to stay for the whole day.
    I am so excited to start decorating! I have been up there doing organizational stuff and now I am ready to make my room colorful again!

17. Eliza

Eliza Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Good for you!! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Normally, I've been in several times by now but I just haven't really been up for it yet this summer. We start later this year so I guess that helps. Anyway, I'll head in probably Thursday and dive in.

Rugrats, make sure you post those pictures. Nothing like another teacher's shining, bright, organized room to light a fire under the rest of us!:p

18. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Jul 31, 2007

We are suppose to have a workday on Friday, but the school still looks like a war zone. The heating/ac was replaced but the work did not pass inspection. I went Monday to see what was happening. No ceiling, dust and garbage all over. The secretaries don't think we are going to be ready in time:eek: The kids come on the 8th. It may be a LONG weekend:mad:

19. Grade1&2

Grade1&2 Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I can't wait to access my new classroom (Aug. 20th). It's new to me but it's in an older building. I hate the color of it but I'm sure I'll get over it. It's a shade of hospital green ! :lol:

I know I'll be in my classroom for hours the first week. :wub:

20. happy2teach

happy2teach Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

Wonder,
    I start school August 7th too. What part of California are you in?:)

21. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 1, 2007

I went to my room today. I finally have carpet, tile, a white board, and ceiling tiles!!! They need to put the sink and cabinets in, the tv, the clock, backpack hooks and some other things. I put post it notes where I want them to put the big furniture, and they should be moving my boxes for me on Friday. Yes! I'll be in there Thursday and Friday to hopefully start setting some things up. School starts in like 12 days now!!!! YIKES!!!

22. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I'm a bit obessive, but I spend the first hour or two in a new class measuring everything out - then I scale it down and cut out a small model of the room (including little cut-outs of all the furniture pieces). I rearrange things multiple times on paper and find a set up I like before doing any physical moving. It takes some extra time in the beginning - but as long as I stay in the same classroom it'll be ready any time I want to rearrange.

23. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I went in yesterday and spent the whole day. Found my furniture in four different rooms. Started unloading the new reading series. Don't you just love new books! Moved desks around. Have more kids this year. Need more desks in the room. Going back today around noon. Hubby is coming in after work to lower some of the desks and hook up my computers. We start school on Aug 22nd. Kids come on the 27th.

24. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I need my husband to look at this thread so I can tell him "told you so"!!! He thinks I'm nuts to go in so many times over the summer. He thinks any sane person would stay away from work until they had to go back. :) I'm about 40 minutes from work and I've gone up and spent the whole day 6 times so far.....it just takes so much work! :)

25. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I live in the northern part. I have been in there everyday since I am only 15 mins away. I am going again today, but decided to get some extra sleepy time. It didn't work though because my body is already use to getting up.:)

26. bearshare

bearshare Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

Yes, I went in yesterday for the first time and spent about 6 hours in there as well. It's amazing how much there is to do. It usually takes about 2 weeks of going in for several hours at a time. The school I teach at is just a mile away, so whenever I have some down time at home I head for school to get some things done. I am now officially excited about the new year. I'm still trudging through the curriculum rewrite though. Any other 1st grade teachers from Missouri?:p

27. *STARPOLISHER*

*STARPOLISHER* New Member

Aug 1, 2007

That is one of the best things about teaching that fresh start each year. The excitement of setting up, decorating, organizing, re-arrangeing, etc. I can't wait to begin the process. I can stay in there a whole day and work. I just want it all done in enough time to start the year off right.

28. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

My class has been clean since Wednesday. I am dying to get in and clean my room but I am waiting on an interview for an in district position. I was going to paint some furniture this year!

29. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

I go in on monday with the teachers from my team. I am super excited...can't wait to see how my room will look once its finished!!!

30. k.contreras

k.contreras Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I finally went in today. I spent about 4 hours there seeting up the furniture where I wanted it and then trying to set up my desk, but when I left, I left a mess on my desk. I got tired so fast because I am 7 months pregnant, but I love setting up my room. Every year I have rearranged it somehow, but this year I am trying to really organize my stuff because when my sub comes in I don't want them messing with a lot of my personal things.

31. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Aug 1, 2007

ranger1stgrd I teach in Iberia, Missouri:rolleyes:

32. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 1, 2007

I spent 7 hours today and 7 hours yesterday cleaning, labeling, and re-organizing. I have about 2 more days.

33. TeachGrade1

TeachGrade1 Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

I teach first grade in Missouri. I'm in Jefferson County just south of St. louis.

34. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

I teach in Galt, Missouri near Trenton.

35. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

We did our curriculum last year and looks like the state is changing things once again. The teachers and I hope they will wait till next year to redo curriculums, but probably not.:|

36. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

I teach in Springfield, Missouri. :)

37. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Aug 12, 2007

I am the same way! I can't seem to fall asleep because I am thinking of all the things I could be doing in my room!